eSports Crash Course

Hey folks,

do you have experience with the eSports? I am applying for a position as a designer in that scene and I need a quick crash course about that topic. Things that would be interesting to me are:

- What are these things: LCS, ECS, OW, 4-pool stand?

- Is there something about eSports that connects these games? League of Legends, Counter Strike GO, DOTA 2, Starcraft 2, Call of Duty, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone and World of Tanks

-> If not, but you still know something about one of these games in connection with eSports, feel free to just share your personal experiences and opinions.

- Maybe something like a small introduction or resume about that topic in general

- Everything else that you find interesting or worth mentioning

Thank you very much!

cheers,

Kalle

No experience with eSports, but hey I'll give my two cents.

No clue. If I had to guess, Last Competitor Standing, Extreme Championship Sports, OverWatch, and 4-pool stand means a bracket of four teams vying for first, second, third, and fourth places.

- Is there something about eSports that connects these games? League of Legends, Counter Strike GO, DOTA 2, Starcraft 2, Call of Duty, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone and World of Tanks

Something that connects them? From my perspective, it's the teamplay dynamic that those games encourage. In each situation and game, it's all about being able to rely on your teammates. As they say, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Everyone in an eSports team is presumed to be a professional in their own right, so teams and its members must be strong. It makes it intense in the sense that every player on the team has to pull their weight through the game. Any one teammate dropping the ball can cost the game for their team. It appears to be rather stressful, honestly.

What I find interesting is how much attention eSports gets. I've seen bits and pieces on social media of channels covering various gaming events. Do note, the regular sports channels air NFL football games, NBA basketball matches, and even golf tournaments, which makes it interesting to see some channels accept eSports as a part of the competitive scene and televise it on their networks. And the crowds, even! When you see these events as they happen, it's impressive the many people you'll see in attendance.

eSports is quite a culture, and one that seems to be growing in mainstream popularity. A child today can say they wish to become an eSports competitor as their future career, and it's very much viable! There's a sense of fame to it, and money to be made from it!

/$0.02

Hey folks,

do you have experience with the eSports? I am applying for a position as a designer in that scene and I need a quick crash course about that topic. Things that would be interesting to me are:

-> If not, but you still know something about one of these games in connection with eSports, feel free to just share your personal experiences and opinions.

- Maybe something like a small introduction or resume about that topic in general

Thank you very much!

cheers,

Kalle

1. I am not sure what those initials stand for. There are many different eSports organization out there now, so there are a lot that I have never heard of.

2. I am not necessarily sure what you mean by "connect", but I assume you are asking about what it is that makes these games stand out as popular eSports games? It has to do with a lot of different factors really. Fraydo mentioned already that team eSports are big because of the nature of team based gameplay. A lot of games also derive their popularity from the franchise itself (eg. Hearthstone is part of the Warcraft franchise) as well as developers/publishers being keen observers of the growth of eSports. I don't personally watch any of the games that you have listed but, having become a fan of fighting games in recent months, I have watched eSports events that host various fighting games (Mortal Kombat X, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct) and have become somewhat familiar with some of the top players in those communities. Fighting games have a bit of a different attraction compared to the other games that you listed, so explaining what creates their appeal may need a separate post.

3. No real experience with actual eSports events myself. All I've ever done is watch highlights or compilations made by other people on Youtube.

4. Going off of what Fraydo said, I think the thing that surprises me is how the eSports scene basically exploded almost overnight. It's wasn't more than just a few years ago that most pro gaming tournaments took place only in hotel event rooms and various other low key places. Now we are at the point where video game tournaments are selling out massive arenas and stadiums all over the world and being broadcasted on big name television sports channels like ESPN. It's completely ridiculous (in more ways than one).

Sweet, an opportunity for me to be a snarky, condescending prick. Lets go bois.

Nice "I'm too lazy to use Google" thread you have here.

LCS refers to the League of Legends Championship and it's subsidiary regional tournaments.

WCS - The actual World Championship competition that runs on a yearly basis, usually in October/November, that every team in every qualifier wants to win to make their parents proud of them for their career choice.

IEM - The IntelTM ExtremeTM MastersTM competition, also run yearly on the opposite end of the year. Sponsored by IntelTM*. Essentially a mini version of the WCS.

All Star Tournaments - The unwashed masses vote for the best player in each region (Top Laner, Jungle, Mid, Support and ADC) which then form a team and plays against teams of other regions. A good salt mine when a popular player/region that's expected to win gets horribly smashed by the competition. See also, US Presidential Election 2016.

EULCS - European Qualifiers

NALCS - American Qualifiers

LPL - Chinese Qualifiers

LCK - Korean Qualifiers

LMS - Taiwain/Hong Kong you get the fucking point. There's a bunch more regional tournaments but fuck that I can't be bothered.

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/

------------------------------------------

ECS - It's the CS:GO Esport tournament. Much easier to keep track off because it only has an EU and an NA bracket.

https://www.csgoleague.com/schedule/

WCS - Starcraft 2 World Championship Series, see they made the acronym the same as that of League of Legends in order to confuse people who were looking for the League Championship, and maybe to steal some clueless viewers.

http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en

OW I would guess refers to Overwatch, the hot new piece of sweet ass that Blizzard released and is pushing into the Esports center because Starcraft 2 is bleeding players and they want to compete with Riot Games for that sweet Esports advertisment cash.

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/

I don't fucking know what this is, all I can think of is that "4-pool" is the technical term for "Zerg Rush" amongst people who actually know game mechanics.

One thing that connects most of these games you've mentioned is Map Control and Map Awareness.

Map Awareness includes things such as knowing when neutral mobs spawn, knowing and communicating cooldowns on enemy skills (LoL, DOTA, HOTS), approximating your opponents locations when they're not in vision range based on previosly gathered information, bomb control and site rotations (CS:GO), terrain knowledge, scouting, recognizing and countering build orders (Starcraft).

Map Control is putting your map awareness to use in order to gank enemy players, secure objectives, trade kills, steal buffs and deny the enemy gold/resources. Essentially making the map a safe place for you and your team while making it hell for the other.

You can have Map Awareness without Map Control, but not Vice Versa.

A player's skill is measured in how they can piece together information they gather and how they then react, and how quickly and efficiently they act on that information.

Its%20a%20thing_zpsdqhbzjpb.png

"The red Enemy Player is hiding behind these boxes, and he shot at me, the Blue Friendly Player as I passed the container and went into the corridor. He must be anticipating that I rush him from the boxes, but I know that he's the last enemy left on their team, and I know that this corridor exits just behind him. If I throw a smoke grenade into the box area he'll be anticipating me to come through there, while I'll sneak around the corridor and shoot him in the back."

Hearthstone is a bit of a special case in the Esports zone because it's a card game. Yes, skill factors in to your ability to play the game, but sometimes even if you play your hand to the best of your ability you will get screwed over by what cards you draw. If you don't draw the right cards at the right time you get fucked, it's as simple as that.

Esports is just like normal sports, except they play video games instead of football. Or handegg. Or ice hockey. You get to watch a group of really good players smack another team of (usually) equally good players around for a bit until one of them win. Players that have a fundamental understanding of the game mechanics and can take that understanding and put it into practice. Usually both teams are equally good at this, and the real intense moments come from the teams trying to bamboozle each other with false information and taking advantage of even the slightest of missteps, something that your average video gamer wouldn't be able to do.

It's the same hype factor basketball fans get when they see Michael Jordan dribble the ball past every defender and then procced to slam dunk that ball like the hoop was a bucket of KFCTM* chicken wings.

*Post not sponsored by Intel or KFC

No experience with eSports, but hey I'll give my two cents. - FRAYDO

No, don't give your two cents. Your two cents are shit. Get the fuck out of here you poser.

Edited by Liten