APB mods by SilverShark

That's some lovely laser weapon weapon sound effects you got there!

I wish I could give more specific feedback than that, but I got no real world military experience or weapon expertise (living in Europe means no legal access to firearms), so I don't actually know how any of these weapons are supposed to sound when fired.

If it sounds roughly like a gun, it probably is a gun, right? I apply this logic to most things, and it always works out juuuust fiiiiinnne........

Edited by Raap

I wish I could give more specific feedback than that, but I got no real world military experience or weapon expertise (living in Europe means no legal access to firearms), so I don't actually know how any of these weapons are supposed to sound when fired.

If it sounds roughly like a gun, it probably is a gun, right? I apply this logic to most things, and it always works out juuuust fiiiiinnne........

In real life, guns tend to sound more "bland", but in games they're given unique firing sounds to make them more distinguishable, I guess.

I don't have much gun knowledge either, but here I gave the silenced Beretta a more metallic sound, rather than the quirky "pew" often heard in movies.

I'd like to make a little sound pack as well, problem lies in accurately recording the sounds. I've got all sorts of firearms from AK-47s, AK-74s, M16, M4, a bunch of pistols.. but every time I try to record them it just doesn't do them justice. Anybody have an recommendations for a good mic that might actually be able to capture the sound correctly without costing thousands of dollars? :x

• 2 weeks later...

In real life, guns tend to sound more "bland", but in games they're given unique firing sounds to make them more distinguishable, I guess.

I don't have much gun knowledge either, but here I gave the silenced Beretta a more metallic sound, rather than the quirky "pew" often heard in movies.

Nice sounds! :) My only recommendation would be giving them a bit more 'crack' and echo.

Now, with regards to blandness and uniqueness, gunshots are a very dynamic audio experience and video game sounds never truly do them justice either way (movies are often this way too). I've got several rifles (including an SKS which fires the same round as an AK-47) and any mid- to large-caliber weapon will pretty much sound like an explosion when fired in real life (especially in echo-prone areas like the forest), and the shots can usually be heard from several kilometers away lol. They're very loud and there tends to be a lot of echo, along with a loud 'crack' as the bullet breaks the sound barrier during acceleration (subsonic ammo, used in suppressed weapons, avoids this). :o Needless to say, your ears will be ringing like crazy after the first couple shots. :v

BTW you can get guns just fine in Europe, you just need to go through your country's licensing process.

Edited by Ice

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...