Renegade turns 15 today!

OWA

[blurb]C&C Renegade turns 15 today! Come join us by celebrating the game that started it all, as we recall past battles and look back at the game's history.[/blurb]

[thumb]custom_thumb_ren.png[/thumb]

1f6FhzX.png

It's been 15 years since C&C Renegade was first released to the public! No matter what the critics say, this game is an incredible and unique experience that has only been matched by the mods that it has spawned. 

Without Renegade, this community wouldn't be where it stands today because the hours spent tinkering with modding projects has shaped the way that this community has grown over the years and brought us all together to make awesome things! Renegade is a game with an engine that still manages to keep surprising us and it's truly a fun engine to mod for.

Hopefully we'll still be here in another 15 years time at W3D Hub to celebrate Renegade's 30th birthday. Every day the community for the original game gets smaller, but we hope to keep it's spirit alive for as long as we can. Here's to you old friend. :toot:

Happy Birthday Command & Conquer Renegade! I remember having my mum purchase this game for me when I was young, I went to a local computer cafe and tried to play online but couldn't get it to work so I just stuck with the campaign. I believe I tried to run around the skirmish maps but couldn't figure out how to get around the need for more players. Eventually I was able to get online when we got our own computer and I had so much fun playing the game. Then I found mods like Reborn and RenAlert (A Path Beyond) which made me appreciate the game even more.

Hopefully one day Reborn, A Path Beyond, and the others will have as many players as Renegade has had in the past. That's something I definitely look forward to seeing.

C&C Renegade certainly earned a place in my small list of "favorite" games, but it is the community, modding and 'mapping' aspect of the game that really pulled me in during the early 2000's.

Not many games can boast still having fans keeping parts of it alive, ~14 years past official support.

It is unfortunate EA never released it as 'freeware' like they did with some of the older RTS games. I suppose they may eventually have done so if they continued making C&C games, but I don't think that is likely to happen ever again.

1 hour ago, Raap said:

It is unfortunate EA never released it as 'freeware' like they did with some of the older RTS games. I suppose they may eventually have done so if they continued making C&C games, but I don't think that is likely to happen ever again.

I think it might be a case of "you don't ask you don't get". Perhaps we should send them a nice email just before Renegade turns 20. :)

4 hours ago, OWA said:

I think it might be a case of "you don't ask you don't get". Perhaps we should send them a nice email just before Renegade turns 20. :)

Sometimes I miss the days of EALA during the C&C3 period, at least 'Apoc' and the back-then EALA management were much more open to the idea of community collaboration. After all, it was that period in time where EA perhaps weren't the company they earned their reputation for. It's such a shame they had to run that studio into the ground.

Who would you even reach out to within EA right now about something like this?

Besides, even if they ended up giving Renegade away, the standard installation doesn't even work properly anymore, to my knowledge. You'd basically be looking at somehow hoping EA ships out a (community-) updated client for a freeware version... But I'm not the expert at stock Renegade, so perhaps I'm wrong? I mean, I even keep forgetting who runs the server listing service these days...

It installs and runs fine from origin, and that version already has (I think) some slight compatibility mods as well as a no-CD patch since its made for digital download anyway. All they would really have to do is drop the price to $0 on origin. It would be nice if they did a standalone DRM-free download though. Om nom nom nom.

yes the comunity from renegade gets rly small but the W3D hub comunity grows every day and with this comunity it will grow the renegade comunity and I am sure that we will be here in 15 years then with a renegade game with red alert 3 and good tiberium wars elements and we will sure celebrate it with a big game party where every one is happy too play it and we will be happy that we let the game never die and with the birthday on renegade we will celebrate havocs birthday and we all GOT A PRESENT FOR HIM :D because we will keep his spirit alive and will honor him with our play also a toast of renegade and the best commando who ever lifed Cpt Nick "Havoc" Parker

17 hours ago, Raap said:

Sometimes I miss the days of EALA during the C&C3 period, at least 'Apoc' and the back-then EALA management were much more open to the idea of community collaboration. After all, it was that period in time where EA perhaps weren't the company they earned their reputation for. It's such a shame they had to run that studio into the ground.

Who would you even reach out to within EA right now about something like this?

Besides, even if they ended up giving Renegade away, the standard installation doesn't even work properly anymore, to my knowledge. You'd basically be looking at somehow hoping EA ships out a (community-) updated client for a freeware version... But I'm not the expert at stock Renegade, so perhaps I'm wrong? I mean, I even keep forgetting who runs the server listing service these days...

Those were some gold days back then, some of the best times for our community and the C&C community as a whole. I think I will always hold them as dear to me as when I used to play Renegade 24/7 when it first came out.

3 hours ago, TeamWolf said:

Those were some gold days back then, some of the best times for our community and the C&C community as a whole. I think I will always hold them as dear to me as when I used to play Renegade 24/7 when it first came out.

Oh dear, it's been 10 years since C&C3 came out... You think that game could ever reach the same potential as older C&C titles when it comes to mod/project adaptation? I mean, it was probably the only EA-made C&C game that people didn't universally held a hatred for. With Generals/ZH being a decent game but not really considered true to the C&C franchise, Red Alert 3 being a joke in bad taste made by some anime fans, and we don't speak of that other thing they made.

Something nobody considered, ever: A C&C3 project on W3D? Madness.

Edited by Raap

6 minutes ago, TeamWolf said:

Namene was heading something up years ago but that flopped. Nothing fruitful in that area has come ever since.

4 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

This is the best unintended burn.

Oh dear, I wasn't aware of anything of this sort being attempted. But I suppose if said project crumbled, then I wasn't far off.

Purely theoretically speaking, a C&C3 project on W3D could find a very easy framework, since all art assets could be ported from C&C3 and be updated from there on. Which means you can play-test a proof of concept game quite quickly. All you need to do is rig the vehicles for W3D gameplay, rig a single infantry model per team for simplicity's sake, and create a single demonstration level using a strong artistic direction. From that point forward it's just updating the artwork while maintaining a healthy and logical preset database for gameplay.

But the question is, can C&C3 be considered "worthy" like most of us perceive the Westwood classics to be?

Edited by Raap