[UPDATED]W3D-Asterisk Connect Tool (beta)

Einstein

On 6/4/2017 at 1:35 PM, danpaul88 said:

VB.net and c# are basically the same language with syntax differences. It's not too hard to jump between them.

Right, I had actually toyed with the idea of starting over (to clean up some old stuff that I'm not proud of :p ) and redoing it in c# then. I can keep all the same forms so visually it will be identical, just a little different underneath.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:40 AM, NodGuy said:

I'm unable to create a new IRC profile. I click New > IRC Profile but the 'Save New Profile' button is faded out and never becomes clickable, no matter what I enter into the fields.

Can you provide a screenshot of this? Thanks!

6 hours ago, NodGuy said:

I think I got it to work now, I don't know what changed. This is what I now see.

11.JPG

Is that correct?

Also Themes don't work for me.

The only reason the button should remain greyed out is if there is a blank field. Just make sure that you are already registered at freenode else nothing will happen. Also....what w3d mod uses the freenode IRC?

As far as the themes issue, there was a little note a few versions back about it being disabled until I have time to fix it. I haven't touched it in a couple weeks as I've had lots of IRL happenings.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:24 PM, NodGuy said:

I recently registered my nick using /ns so maybe that is why it works now?

Registering a nick doesn't affect the tool at all. Asterisk just sends a command no matter what based on your input. My question though, is what w3d mod uses the freenode IRC? And what game has a bot named "NickServ" ? Based on your screenshot, you're connecting to OUR game server, but authenticating with a totally different IRC server. For anything at all to happen, you'll want to use irc.rencorner.com as the address, and for our APB server the bot's name is "Volkov".

To break it down a little more, here's what is happening (ideally) from start to finish. Beginners tutorial INC :p

First and foremost, the primary purpose of setting up and using !auth in our game servers (or with any server using brenbot) is simply to protect your ingame nickname from being hijacked. Only users that have registered a nickname on IRC first (which is something 100% completely different and not at all linked to your ingame nickname) are allowed to attempt !auth with brenbot (in the case of APB, brenbot's "name" is Volkov). The IRC server where our bots go hangout and do their thing is rencorner (irc.rencorner.com). So to be eligible to register your ingame nick with Volkov, you first have to register any nickname, not necessarily the same one, with nickserv at rencorner. After that, any brenbot instance that is in a channel on that IRC server will allow you to attempt !auth. At this point you're half way :)

So next you have to register your ingame nick with the bot (Volkov here). After that, you can perform !auth. All these things must be done prior to using any automated !auth method, such as the one used in Asterisk. So since our bots live at rencorner, you want to connect there obviously. You have the port right (though I think most IRC servers use the same port). And the bot (referring to the game bot, not nickserv) is Volkov in this instance.

Asterisk starts by sending your IRC nickname and password to connect and authenticate to the IRC server (notice that the field in Asterisk says IRC nickname, not ingame nick). IF that bit completes successfully, then it moves on. It then opens a PM session with the bot name you provided. Then it sends a message that contains something like "!auth txtNick.text" which is code for "!auth" plus whatever text is in the ingame nickname field of Asterisk at the time. This is how and why IRC nicks and ingame nicks can be totally different (since they are not connected anyway).

I hope I have been able to clear up any confusion about the usage here, and not create any more confusion. I'm not the best at explaining things, but I do try. Let me know if it didn't make sense and I'll find someone more competent to lay it out for you :p

• 1 month later...

v0.45

• Added menu option to run auth sequence manually (for when somehow it fails the automated run, or the bot restarts and requires auth once again).
  • Improved code for producing error messages at game launch.
  • Fixed bug where IRC "None" profile might not be selected under certain conditions for profiles which have no IRC profile.

A smaller update than usual. I'm not actively working on this right now, but I figured I would go ahead and release my progress since the last update. Enjoy!

On 7/31/2017 at 8:52 PM, Einstein said:

I'm not actively working on this right now

Right....so I had some time to fix/add a couple more small things.

v0.46

• Added warning dialogs when deleting games, profiles, and IRC profiles.
  • Added an extra confirmation step for some items in the Help -> Reset menu.
  • Added code to force the names of Games and Server Profiles to be unique (disallow exact duplicates).

Design choice notes:

• For simplicity's sake, I have chosen to not attempt to disallow the user to delete saved items in the Games and IRC Profiles lists even if those items are currently associated with a Server Profile (this will break the associated profiles). There are warnings, but the user may do as they wish (since they can manually edit the file anyway).
  • I have also chosen to not force uniqueness in IRC Profiles. Due to the way it is coded currently, this makes sense as these profiles do not have actual names but rather are identified by a concatenated string of all contained information, minus the password.