Hoping you all have a nice weekend!

Binge the rest of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series on Netflix while it's still available. It's coming off March 7th, and yet I still have a full season to go! I believe in myself though, and I can do it. I'm also going to pick up The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch, despite not having the console yet. While I wait for the restock and next available Switch, I may as well get my hands on the games anyway.

My life is a flood of paperwork lately. That doesn't mean the weekend isn't plenty of time for fun :p but the notable thing this weekend is I have to get a bunch of crap together in prep for getting my licence renewed early next week. "Fun" how they always expire when your birthday is coming up :p

I'm a very nervous driver, even if I don't do anything wrong (or perhaps I'm more careful not to do anything wrong because I'm a nervous driver), so a driving test is perhaps the only sort of test I'd get test anxiety about. Illinois recently passed something where everyone has to do the behind the wheel test each time, which to be fair, is a good, good idea, but it doesn't make me any less jittery.

I have no plans for this weekend as I take life as it comes around at the moment. (An unorganized german, wat? :D But more time for testing.) And Zelda looks promising, Fray. Time for you to start a youtube channel, get famous and do some promotion for our hub :v. (But have a good time with the game once you get the Switch :))

Just me and my brain, but you have to renew your license in the states? On a federal or a state level? Seems to be pretty new as you said. (I know, a quick google search could have answered that question but meh). Focus on driving and you'll be fine. You have the experience. :)

Have a nice weekend and we'll see us in APB/TS:R, a small playercrowd is like a light in a night in a life of a moth for me. :)(Puns intended)

Edited by NoSoldier

It's a state thing. Renewal is required as it is, typically every 4-5 years, but varies by states. That's mostly because that's our main form of ID here, though you can just get basic ID which is cheaper (we don't have free national ID like many countries). Generally though it's just "is your address and picture current, okay, cool, here's your new one".  Sometimes, if your young, you get a special under 21 licence which is just sideways and used to easily check if someone's too young to be drinking. Most people's first licence they get 16-18 and then renew at 21 for that reason. I last renewed my at 21, so now I have to renew it again at 26. If you'd had special circumstances you might have to take the "written" test again, or possibly the behind the wheel test, but that's pretty rare in the US. Lately a lot of states have been moving towards actually testing people again, though, seeing as we have a lot of terrible drivers :p

As a side note, they're also probably really making sure people pay attention, because there is now a federal mandate for "smart IDs" which ALLEGEDLY help you get through airport security faster. Illinois was really dragging it's feet getting a new template updated to that standard (which the excuse of basically not wanting to spend the money on it) and was causing problems at the national level, and in fact missed the federal deadline like 2-3 times. We do have a new format now, though, I've seen friends born a few months earlier than me get theirs updated.

As a side note, when I work I work in politics, partially as policy analysis, and have written a minor, unpublished study on traffic safety, so if you have any questions about American driving and BS state laws, I'm kind of an expert, so ask away ;)

That's a pretty interesting difference in state run id's compared to Germany then. Your place and Identity-card are stored in 2 seperate databases. If you move, you have to register in the city you're now living in depending you have a stable household and do not move in a timezone of 6 months.

The ID's are given to every citizen (since 2013 with online services which are not really in use by the general public.^^) and are required to be in possesion (to be identified) most of the time and are either given out or you'll have to get it at the age of 18. Otherwise you'll get a fine. But that hasn't happened at least in my environment :D

But your address is printed upon the ID-Card so I still have no idea why they're storing it in seperate databases.

25 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

partially as policy analysis, and have written a minor, unpublished study on traffic safety, so if you have any questions about American driving and BS state laws, I'm kind of an expert, so ask away ;)

As a journalist or well trying to? Even though it's a dry subject, well, someone has to handle it. That's everywhere the case. But even though it's dry it seems interesting.

(Is there a law in Illinois for elephant-riding like in Florida?)

And I'm enjoying the new patch of path of exile as I recently discovered the game again

Edited by NoSoldier

By default, there's not a lot of communication between agencies in the US. Technically you have to notify someone if you move... the post office... which everyone pretty much does because it's pretty nice to get your mail delivered correctly. The post office *can* give that information to other agencies, if they ask for it, and some agencies ask more often than others. Selective Service really likes to keep on the ball with it, but that's moot because the draft hasn't been active in so long. If there's an active criminal investigation against you you can bet they'll ask the Post Office for any leads, but everyone else "knowing" that your address changed is far from automatic. That's why all that drama about people being on the voter rolls more than once is just hogwash. If you move and update your address to vote, you ARE on the voter rolls more than once, because the old location just doesn't know to remove you. I'd wager over 90% of Americans who have moved in their adult life are registered to vote in more than one location (of people that bother to vote, that is).

As for my writing, it was practice for what I'd do in the professional world. A client, who might be a politician, an advocacy group, think tank, corporation, etc, would hire people like me to take a look at the law/political situation/general societal situation, pose a problem, and then ask for solutions. In this case the prompt was for graduate level work. We had quite a few things to do, but one of the things was to tackle a problem of our choosing, and I care about traffic safety and felt it was underrepresented in the body politic. It would be up to me to advance that work myself, though, as it wasn't a contract or anything. There would be options if I wanted to, but I'm currently working on other things. My current work, which is also self driven with the goal of getting it academically published, is on the very very boring issue of sales taxes to fund education, and Illinois' specific scheme and how our state government is utter crap.

But yeah, I don't want to derail this thread. I'd continue on about stuff if there's interest, but I'm not sure this thread is the best place for it.

Enjoy my last few days of 'vacation' spending time with the wife and fitting in as much SNES as possible.  It's not really a vacation so to speak, but it's time away from stressing none the less.  The way our system works where I work is if you get 'bumped' by someone with higher seniority or your position gets abolished, you have 10 days to kind of float in railroad limbo and you don't have to find another spot to place yourself for that time period.  Monday my clock runs out.  Section foreman here I come!