Missile Tracking Code

Playing a game on Ridgewar today using a streala vs several Longbows was extremely frustrating. The LBs were often within my reach, but unlike the Hind, their faster speeds meant only the missiles that tracked actually hit. I know this is a code issue the dev team hasn't been able to fix. I just want to ask if it is possible you guys can look at the SAM missile tracking code to see how that works flawlessly? 

I haven't delved into this in a very long time but if I'm not mistaken, tracking is probability based, which is simply a value based setting within the ammunition preset data. You should be able to create 100% accurate tracking missiles, but doing so makes rockets like that extremely easy to use. However, the current situation where you got a 50/50 chance of a rocket tracking the target is also not desirable. Perhaps the solution might be to ensure 100% tracking, but lower projectile turning rate. This way you will have a form of target assistance that always works, but with limited strength.

Edited by Raap

There's nothing in the presets that determines the chance of missiles tracking. The only things that affect it are "Is Tracking" which is a boolean flag that simply says "can this projectile track, yes or no", "Turn Rate" which is a number which determines how fast the missiles turn (which doesn't help if they choose to not turn), and "Random Tracking Scale" which is a number that actually causes the missiles to randomly swerve in flight if set above 0 - this is set to 0 for all of our tracking weapons because it is dumb, except for Lunar Paradox's Drunk Rocket Soldier where its high randoscale is the entire joke, and the Chrono Dust Blower where it doesn't really matter because you're firing 20 tracking projectiles per second anyway, it's just there to make the particle effect spread out more.

I think that tracking might be based on if the server thinks you are pointing at the target or not, as well how close to the target bone you're aiming, and since AIs would have 0 delay to the server and aim directly at the target bone, that'd explain why the SAM sites always track - in which case that's a huge pain to deal with.

Seems I mixed it with random tracking. Well I did say I didn't look into that for a while. :)

Nonetheless, perhaps tracking can be fixed... What are the possibilities of attaching a larger hidden mesh to aircraft with only cursor 'projectile' collisions?

Problem is that if anyone ever gets around to doing a model for it, it won't make sense. The Strela doesn't have a scope.

Alternatively I can just nix both of their tracking altogether and give them a much higher muzzle velocity, that way people just have to lead their shots instead of praying for RNG.

33 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

Problem is that if anyone ever gets around to doing a model for it, it won't make sense. The Strela doesn't have a scope.

Alternatively I can just nix both of their tracking altogether and give them a much higher muzzle velocity, that way people just have to lead their shots instead of praying for RNG.

Try what I wrote with the hidden mesh. I find that with my relatively low ping to the server, my tracking missiles always track unless I aim towards the rear of a faster moving vehicle. So the theory of this being network dependent holds merit. 

12 hours ago, Pushwall said:

I'd much rather lead the targets than rely on shoddy homing myself.

16 hours ago, Pushwall said:

3 hours ago, ganein14 said:

I'd much rather lead the targets than rely on shoddy homing myself.

Would no tracking be a problem if faster aircrafts (mig/yak) come into play?