APB Pick-Up Games Announcement

FRAYDO

[blurb]Listen up soldiers! The W3D Hub Pick-Up Games are upon us![/blurb]

[thumb]thumb_apb.9.png[/thumb]eTorCvi.png

JOIN TEAMSPEAK @ ts.w3dhub.com TO PLAY on Saturday (April 29th) at 8:00 PM GMT (EU) / 3:00 PM CST (US)

Over these past few days, the server has seen some incredible matches! Matches like these haven't been seen since the good ol' days, and if you remember the good ol' days you may remember the APB Clan Wars, and if you remember the APB Clan Wars, you may also remember the high-level teamplay and intense action. Those moments of team coordination and well-executed rushes, turning the tide of the battle, and knowing that mere seconds can mean victory or defeat. We can create these moments yet again, and that is our aim! This weekend, through the efforts of AZ-Stalker, Voe, Einstein, Strike, and Silverlight, we will be hosting a special event!

Dubbed the W3D Hub Pick-Up Games (or PUGs), it is the start of a new initiative where those willing to do some real tournament game play can sign up quickly before an event, assign themselves into teams and go out and fight. No clans. Just us, the APB players. Everyone is welcome to participate. In its opening thread, more than several players have already signed up onto the community-wide roster! Skilled players and staff members are on board, and you certainly can be too. To join up, there are but a few instructions;

#1 W3D Asterisk Tool

The first instruction is to download Einstein's W3D Asterisk Tool, which you may find here.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a replacement for the official W3D Hub Launcher. It is a direct-connect tool that will allow access into the Pick-Up Game server.

Once you have the Asterisk tool downloaded, follow along with these steps. [Click to reveal below]

Spoiler

STEP 1: Select the [New] menu and select [Game]
drxMMZc.png

STEP 2: You will see a smaller window with two fields open. Click the [Locate] button.
4Qrx6Iw.png

STEP 3: This will open a file-select dialog box. You will need to direct it to the path of your APB game.exe. This is typically at "C:\Program Files (x86)\W3D Hub\games\apb-release\game.exe"
JE9rNPh.png

STEP 4: Select the game.exe and press "Open".
FnxRMhT.png

STEP 5: Notice that the path is in now in the field. Name it something like "APB" or whatever you like in the Title field and press "Save".
XKUpnDx.png

STEP 6: Fill in your desired nickname, the server password, IP, and port (once we make that information known). You can now select A Path Beyond from the games list.
9beDyU5.png

And thus you have completed the steps required to join the Pick-Up Games server! Hopefully this has been a painless process, but assistance will be readily available to those who require it.

#2 TeamSpeak

Spoiler

As for the second instruction; as stated with the logo, you must join the TeamSpeak server in order to participate. In the spirit of high-level teamplay, VoIP is essential for team coordination. It is there in the TeamSpeak server where you will communicate with your designated Team Commander and your comrades.

Note: It is not a requirement that you have a microphone, although it is highly recommended! Being able to listen in may suffice.

icon_teamspeak.png

Upon joining the server, all players will gather in the PUG Arena. From there, Commanders will be determined and teams will be composed. Event rules and guidelines will be reviewed in the PUG Waiting Room, while strategies will be devised in your team's respective channel.

Having followed these two instructions, you are well on your way to the high-octane action that the Clan Wars brought in their time. See you on the battlefield, comrades!

Apologies for the last-minute announcement. Between server preparation and establishing the rules of engagement, we wanted to ensure this event will proceed without any difficulties, technical or otherwise.

NinjaEdit: Time fixed!

Well we got the announcement out cutting it a bit too close, but we really needed to make sure everything worked properly first. So join us in the first PUG match which will be a great way to test how we should handle future PUGs and how our mechanics and guidelines hold up! Something like this hasn't been seen in quite some time around the W3D community, so be sure to join the action and be one of the first people to experience proper APB Delta high-level gameplay! See you all there!

Also credit where credit is due, the "PUG" title was first used by the people over at the Renegade X community and we figured It'd be very cool to explore something similar. Also, the Desolator Pug's helmet is borrowed from an online source where somebody made an awesome costume out of it. Just do a quick search to see.

I will tentatively say I'll be there around both times.  I do have some things to do Saturday but by and large they're in the gap between play times.  Still no mic, but I did do a reinstall that seriously cut down on my crashes (but didn't remove them entirely).  Getting a mic is still on the short term to-do list, but it's been a busy week.

Edited by OrangeP47

12 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I will tentatively say I'll be there around both times.

There was an error in the time frame, check again (a mod should have edited it by now). There is only one play time:

Saturday (April 29th) at 8:00 PM GMT (EU) / 3:00 PM CST (US)

Edited by AZ-Stalker

35 minutes ago, AZ-Stalker said:

There was an error in the time frame, check again (a mod should have edited it by now). There is only one play time:

Saturday (April 29th) at 8:00 PM GMT (EU) / 3:00 PM CST (US)

Ah, 3 pm my time. Sadly then I probably can't be around for that.  I'll likely be on the normal server before hand for our normal weekend get together though.

Though also.... 8 GMT is 2 CST.... I imagine this is what happens when we're not careful with the fact that it's DST right now ;)

Edited by OrangeP47

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

Ah, 3 pm my time. Sadly then I probably can't be around for that.  I'll likely be on the normal server before hand for our normal weekend get together though.

Though also.... 8 GMT is 2 CST.... I imagine this is what happens when we're not careful with the fact that it's DST right now ;)

According to google, GMT is currently 5 hours ahead of CST, so 3 "should" be right.

1 hour ago, URKA said:

I forgot to apply for it

You don't need to. Just join teamspeak at the designated time and you'll be able to play.
That sign-up roster we were building was just so we could see how many people were interested in participating.

My scoreboard screenshots didn't save for some reason, but I have something to make up for it.

It was a fun event all things considered - next time we'll announce it properly so we can have way more people join in as planned.

ysAHnx6.png

Plus, something extra in case anyone is wondering who our commanders were:

Spoiler

HNQ7xbl.jpg

5 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Plus, something extra in case anyone is wondering who our commanders were

It should be noted that I never designated myself as a commander and that all the proper "commanders" decided to all jump onto the same team, leaving our team with nobody to organise properly, which kinda defeats part of the point of a PUG. Hopefully this will not happen next time. Good games though!

46 minutes ago, Pyryle said:

PUG video!

Reveal hidden contents

2:24 D:

Now, in case someone is wondering why I was just idle in the TS channel, I was trying to get my headset working. For some reason, with my new headset the voices on TS are completely mute, although it shows it is indeed picking up sound in the mixer, and the microphone just creates a static noise. My old headset managed to pick up others' voice, but apparently the mic wasn't working again, since I didn't get any response when I talked into it, so I decided to let it go for then, but let's try again next time. :v

Sweet video. Digging that texture pack, though I'm torn on if I'd actually use it myself. Also lol Baltimore.

Unfortunate I had to miss it, but I like that double kov we had going at the afterparty Voe, at least until I lagged right into the pillbox :v  Got the sniper at least.

• 2 weeks later...