Computer freezes entirely at very specific spot on Ridge_War (and that location only)

Okay, so awhile back I was talking about how I was crashing a lot.  I did a complete reinstall and that got fixed, so this isn't the same problem.  From as far as I can tell, that was caused by one file failing to download correctly during an update and then the repair function failing to catch it.  This is different.

On Ridge War, about 3/4 of the time I enter one specific area my computer freezes so completely that I have to power cycle it.  The sound even stutters to a stop before the game is frozen on the screen, no keys not even ctrl+alt+del respond. This happens in the area slightly forward of the Allied repair depot that's at the bottom of their ridge.

Now, while this is perhaps something on my end, even if so, it'd be really help to know if there's anything unique about this one spot in that one map that could be triggering some function of my computer that's broken. This type of crash has only ever happened right there, and that combined with the fact that it's repeatable in that spot has me raising some serious eyebrows, and the fact that I'm not getting any problems doing anything else with my computer. My video card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, and the processor is an i7-3770 if there are any known issues with particular hardware. I can provide any other info, and do tests, though with such a spectacular form of crash I'm obviously not eager to do that too many times. I'd say I've crashed this way 4, maybe 5 times. It hasn't happened when I run the map solo.

So if I understand you, it doesn't happen in single player in that spot? The issue shouldn't be anything lacking in performance hardware-wise. I frequently run APB on my office PC which has an old i3-2100 and a HIS-Radeon 6570 (decent but old card). I'm guessing these crashes also don't generate crashdumps. Check that for us if you don't mind. They are located in documents\W3D Hub\games\apb-release\debug. I've also been having a freeze issue sometimes, but I can occasionally alt+tab out of it, and I can always hit the start menu key on the keyboard (though the menu never actually is visible) and type "tskill game" which is a kill command. Some versions of windows don't have the tskill command by default, so alternatively you can use "tskill /f /im game.exe" without quotes of course. Let us know on all this if you don't mind. If you can successfully kill the game like I do, then its possible that we share a similar if not identical issue. Every detail can be useful. Thanks for reporting this to us!

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

So if I understand you, it doesn't happen in single player in that spot? The issue shouldn't be anything lacking in performance hardware-wise. I frequently run APB on my office PC which has an old i3-2100 and a HIS-Radeon 6570 (decent but old card). I'm guessing these crashes also don't generate crashdumps. Check that for us if you don't mind. They are located in documents\W3D Hub\games\apb-release\debug. I've also been having a freeze issue sometimes, but I can occasionally alt+tab out of it, and I can always hit the start menu key on the keyboard (though the menu never actually is visible) and type "tskill game" which is a kill command. Some versions of windows don't have the tskill command by default, so alternatively you can use "tskill /f /im game.exe" without quotes of course. Let us know on all this if you don't mind. If you can successfully kill the game like I do, then its possible that we share a similar if not identical issue. Every detail can be useful. Thanks for reporting this to us!

Nope, no crashdump.  My latest is one from the 28th which was a general "renegade encounter an internal error". I used to get those a lot, but that's the only one of *those* I've had since I reinstalled the game about a month ago, and that doesn't lock the computer and I can pop right back in.

I've never been able to alt tab or use the windows key to get out of it. To be fair, I've only had this specific hard crash those 4-5 times, which isn't exactly a large enough sample to say it won't work in the future. I suppose too if it doesn't actually show I wouldn't know. If it happens again I'll try typing that though. I just called up start and it appears tskill does indeed list in the things it fines if I type it though. I'm on 64 bit windows 7.  I'm not exactly eager to go hunting for it, but if I'm on RidgeWar I'll try and trigger it deliberately next time.  I'm honestly just glad someone believes me, because even to myself the specific conditions seem kind of hard to believe. If it seemed to be a problem flying solo I'd go try it now, but that always seems fine :\

After some testing, we've determined that there is an issue that seems to be tied to one specific area of ridgewar. Too bad it isn't the issue i've been having, but hey its still progress! Thanks for working with me on that OrangeP47.