Hi all!

It's been awhile since I've posted here, I've mostly been lurking, reading updates and such. I had to log back in though, because I have to talk about something extremely important.

Net Neutrality.

The definition of Net Neutrality is "the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites."

This means that all data flows the same way, from everywhere. If you want to watch a movie on Netflix, or stream that movie on a different website, then they will both use the same speed connection, and the connection cannot be slowed down or blocked.

However, the FCC has recently voted to strike this down, and is currently in the debating state. Come August(the 8th, I believe), if nothing is done about it, Net Neutrality will be voted out, giving Internet Service Providers like Comcast free reign over your connection speed and that of others. They will be able to freely throttle or block data from any website, for any reason, and charge the owners to get the speed back, without any legal repercussions. I don't know where W3DHub is based, what your finances are like, or what ISPs would charge for uncompromised data flow, but it may very well make this website unusable, and W3DHub's games unplayable. Which is why I want to warn you. W3DHub is a fantastic place, with great members, and talented devs who are still making the most out of a game engine over a decade old, and doing a damn good job of it. Each mod has a lot of love and hard work thrown into it, with some mods still in development, and I want those mods to be able to be shared for years to come, and I'm sure you do too. Please, support Net Neutrality. Call your Representative, call or email the FCC, join a march, anything. The FCC is pushing this hard, but we can push harder.

Edited by MechanicalThighs
Missed something.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Hey bud, glad to see you back around! I agree with you on this 100%. It seems like this keeps coming up...this is what? The 3rd or 4th attempt to do away with it in some form or fashion?

Hey! Glad you agree. Yeah, this is a few tries in, but this time is the closest they've gotten, and the guy leading the charge, Ajit Pai, is a former lawyer for Verizon, so he's got a stake in this. He's pulling a lot of dishonest crap, smearing activist groups, and outright lying about the impact. It's a real mess, man.

12 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Aren't we based in a hidden Europe-based server room in which Strike sleeps and vigilantly guards the data with his life 24-7 from the forces of evil? Or so the legend goes...

Correct :)

The game servers are hosted in the Netherlands. We have no issues with fcc ;)

Well, that's not entirely true. The FCC decision could impact the ability of US players from reaching and playing games from W3D Hub, even if the server itself isn't in the US.

ISPs would have freedom to slow down connections to your server, perhaps with the excuse that they prioritize US-US connections over US-Europe connections.

21 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

ISPs would have freedom to slow down connections to your server, perhaps with the excuse that they prioritize US-US connections over US-Europe connections.

Well i understand this, but then there are many ways to go around this ;)