APB 3.1.2.0 Changelog

2 hours ago, Pushwall said:

Missile Silo basement now has a window into the missile tube, with a shutter that closes during launching.

Wow I mentioned this only a few weeks ago! That was fast. Wonder if it was already in progress...

Minipatch 3.1.2.2 has gone up. This fixes an exploit with the medic flare that I forgot to deal with initially (thankfully nobody got to use it yet) and adds A4R91N's improved textures for the old building props.

47 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

Nah, it just didn't take long to do. :v 

silo-8.jpg

Nice addition with the window. Perhaps sometime down the road we'll have a more complex model like the image above. It's just a concept (actually the Titan II ICBM missile silo), but that's generally what I think of when I say having a catwalk to the actual silo would be nice. Probably couldn't be as large as this though, considering the underground area conflicting with other underground parts of a base like the war factory.

Love the new computer units! :D I like how the vacuum tube units blink in various patterns, looks really cool.

Personally I'd like to see a couple more of the tape units, but that's just me. For the missile silo, perhaps the three double-sided plain units across from the screen unit could have tapes on one side?

M0qITny.png

Anyway it looks really good, a million times better than the >10-poly props they've replaced.

The missile silo window is a really nice touch as well. Makes the whole building feel more connected and just looks really cool in general.

I really like where this more-sense AI from @moonsense715 is going. Some more refinement and hopefully progress on client and server stability and these things could be a good addition for any W3D project in every level.

I have two questions about them though, does the AI currently feature hooks to support custom map gameplay objectives? Capturing buildings for example, or holding a certain point until the point is captured? And what about attack lanes, does this new AI have the capacity to use some lanes only with certain units or pick a lane based on a designer-given lane priority rating? For example let's look at Under, say I wanted to tell the AI to only bring infantry units to the beach route with 90% priority, until the falling rocks flag that route as "removed"? Or StormyValley, where the rear mountain route only gets used by faster moving ground vehicles and aircraft at low priority?

I'd love to see support for exactly such options with the AI, if that isn't currently the case.

Later, once (if) W3D ever supports dynamic level maps, I'd like to integrate the concept of attack lanes more closely via naming each attack lane "Route A/B/C/D", with the AI hopefully understanding a similar concept. Added note, such terminology would help a lot with new voice commands, instead of "Enemies coming from the east" we could have radio commands for "Enemies spotted on Route A/B/C/D", a more universal way of communicating map layouts and enemy movements in one swoop... But that's a subject for later, but perhaps @Pushwall can look into reserving 4 radio commands for this purpose should APB adopt this concept officially.

(Edit: So when a team mate says the command, "Enemies spotted on Route C", I would then just open the map to quickly remind myself where Route C is. I also do not expect to ever see a map with more than 4 distinct attack lanes, so no need for reserving more than 4 commands.)

Edited by Raap

On 2/7/2017 at 9:51 AM, Jeod said:

Nice addition with the window. Perhaps sometime down the road we'll have a more complex model like the image above. It's just a concept (actually the Titan II ICBM missile silo), but that's generally what I think of when I say having a catwalk to the actual silo would be nice. Probably couldn't be as large as this though, considering the underground area conflicting with other underground parts of a base like the war factory.

A more detailed model of the Missile Silo, with bigger interiors and more corridors, was in the works a long time ago (http://www.moddb.com/games/red-alert-a-path-beyond/images/missile-silo-interior), along with a larger, more complex War Factory. But neither model was ultimately finished, I believe.

Those models were created after I left BHP. If I am not mistaken, @Synaesthesia worked on them. I do not know if they got any further development beyond that.

I believe that if buildings are ever updated, they'd have to strictly follow their existing exterior shapes and sizes (AKA the footprint size), otherwise you'd be looking at a lot of work to manually update every level to match the new building scale.

Updating APB's buildings is something I gave consideration a year or so ago when first working on HostileWaters, since I did a completely new Naval Yard and an updated Sub Pen back then for the naval building requirements, along with some modified prop buildings for capture logic. It's not a lack of time that deterred me, but rather the player expectations to handle such iconic features with a level of care and strict reference work to abide to.

Edited by Raap

Nice changes, hopefully this will be what the medic ultimately needs.

Also Nice to see the Volk nerf, we've been getting away with a bit too much with him lately haha. (Too bad he couldn't have his own lower headshot bonus, since his face is mostly metal and all)

Shotgun changes are good.

And the change with the Yak's, does this mean we get points for them now? (We didn't before right?)

And lastly, +1 for more bots on levels, and @Raap Ditto for the bots, love to see them get further development. If only we could fix the scoreboard issues with them, counting as kills and such then maybe we could see them on more maps.

Tried the maps with the new bots, it was great fun. Simply having a tech there means you must run with infantry, gang up with bots or arty/v2 the tech to death... but they'll be back.

Must say though, bots with light tanks are pros. They can snipe a ranger shot for shot.

One thing I do note, is they get very mad when I splash them with a V2.... but they'll only run about 25m or so... stare at me... and then run off. Is there anyway to convince them to go that extra 10-50m to get within engagement range and defend instead?

On 2017. 07. 05. at 9:53 PM, Raptor29aa said:

... further development on bots could lead to paratroopers...

(death at the hands of five bot riflemen is a rough reality)

I already have working bot paratroopers, they appeared first time years ago and were implemented properly last year september/october.
Screenshot.13.png
You can read more here

Since then I improved the bots a lot to act like real players (spawn where players do, have names and money pool), physically get into vehicles, join transports, fly aircraft, react to radio commands, follow mouse pointed orders etc. I just don't have time to blog about it.

Wow, I had no idea the AI scripts were that extensive for called in bots. I thought it was a way point based preplaned thing (as in destroy objective ABC and if encounter enemy then logic).

But I was wrong it's more an independent set of rules based on situation not map destination. As in bot encounters or is ordered to situation 1,2,3 then act ABC unless 456 happens then refer to XYZ and once XYZ clears return to 1,2,3.

The first requires map cues while the second does not... nice

• 3 weeks later...

wait, I read that the bots can be enabled for the maps that are not friendly, but I have no clue how to do that, yeah, I might've missed that part but couldn't be back here for a while as I had to deal with finals and to get to college so I was a bit busy as of late

20 minutes ago, Cain Marder said:

wait, I read that the bots can be enabled for the maps that are not friendly, but I have no clue how to do that, yeah, I might've missed that part but couldn't be back here for a while as I had to deal with finals and to get to college so I was a bit busy as of late

To enable bots on CamosCanyon/Metro/Wasteland while playing in LAN/skirmish mode, press F8 to open the console, and type botcount 30 (or whatever number of bots you want; 30 was the previous default)..