Press Q to 'deploy' Artillery and V2

Do you want this?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Deploy Artillery and V2

I'm sure others are sick and tired of their Artillery and V2 vehicles slightly moving when trying to line up a shot. You could try exiting and entering the vehicle but on some terrain this just doesn't work. I don't know if it is the game or my 180 ping but it's very annoying. My suggestion is the option to press Q to 'deploy' the vehicle. I use quotations because there would be no animations for this, it's not really deploying but the vehicle would simply stop moving completely, like the Nod Artillery from Reborn. This would save so much time when preparing to attack enemy defences and buildings.

Speaking of the Nod Artillery, it would be awesome if when the Artillery is deployed we get the previously removed slight pivot to the left and right back. This was extremely helpful for me when hitting defences. For those who don't like the pivot then they just don't deploy and use the vehicle like it is now.

I'll throw a poll up so people can vote if they would like this or not, although I don't see why not as those who are against can simply never press Q while in these vehicles.

There was an early build of delta where pressing Q would kill the engine of any given vehicle without the need to get out of it. Dunno if that function is lying dormant somewhere in the files or not.

20 minutes ago, Pyryle said:

There was an early build of delta where pressing Q would kill the engine of any given vehicle without the need to get out of it. Dunno if that function is lying dormant somewhere in the files or not.

If I remember right that function got killed from scripts due to some disconnect between how the server and client treat vehicles with the engine off? Whatever it was, it was nuked and never returned because it either didn't work as intended or used a feature that wasn't meant to be used in the way it was.

51 minutes ago, NodGuy said:

Shame that doing this would completely remove the option of ramming these vehicles to throw off their aim. That's not something I'm about to deny this feature over though.

51 minutes ago, NodGuy said:

it would be awesome if when the Artillery is deployed we get the previously removed slight pivot to the left and right back.

Not possible, pivot has to be on either both modes or no mode, unless the gun has absolutely no articulation at all in one mode (see: undeployed Nod artillery which is always facing straight forward no matter where you're looking and no matter where you pointed it when previously deployed) which would be pretty damn useless and force the arty to deploy for any form of combat that isn't "hit unit that's right in front of me".

12 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

Not possible, pivot has to be on either both modes or no mode, unless the gun has absolutely no articulation at all in one mode (see: undeployed Nod artillery which is always facing straight forward no matter where you're looking and no matter where you pointed it when previously deployed) which would be pretty damn useless and force the arty to deploy for any form of combat that isn't "hit unit that's right in front of me".

If the engine has these kinds of restrictions regarding deployable weapons then it might be best to leave arty/V2 as-is and not complicate things, except trying to somehow make them less susceptible to sliding when stationary (traction settings? I'm no expert in this so there are probably more factors than I realize).

4 minutes ago, Ice said:

If the engine has these kinds of restrictions regarding deployable weapons then it might be best to leave arty/V2 as-is and not complicate things, except trying to somehow make them less susceptible to sliding when stationary (traction settings? I'm no expert in this so there are probably more factors than I realize).

Traction might be it, if I remember correctly the Beta V2 had a really high traction setting - though this also enabled it to climb cliffs which had hilarious consequences on maps like beta Canyon River.

16 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

Shame that doing this would completely remove the option of ramming these vehicles to throw off their aim. That's not something I'm about to deny this feature over though. True but from what I've seen over the past couple of months playing (more than I'd like to admit) I've hardly seen someone ram these vehicles. That's just from my experience though, as most have just been shooting. 

Not possible, pivot has to be on either both modes or no mode, unless the gun has absolutely no articulation at all in one mode (see: undeployed Nod artillery which is always facing straight forward no matter where you're looking and no matter where you pointed it when previously deployed) which would be pretty damn useless and force the arty to deploy for any form of combat that isn't "hit unit that's right in front of me". Darn. Then how about just returning the pivot? Whenever I bring it up in-game someone always agree with me and I've never seen anyone against it. It's just so annoying to hit a Flame Tower when you're on a small uneven surface because when you aim up the reticle moves away from where you aimed previously.

Regarding bringing the pivot back, I am against it. I was against it when it was introduced and was glad when it got reverted. Voting against deployed artillery units. Aiming can be a nuisance sometimes, especially in the most crucial moments, but it's something I've come to terms with.

1 hour ago, NodGuy said:

although I don't see why not as those who are against can simply never press Q while in these vehicles.

I can get behind this however if deploying is implemented. Just do not return the pivot is all I ask.

Any particular reason for being against the pivot? You only need to aim it like pretty much every other weapon in the game but this one is limited to a certain distance left or right. I try to avoid using Artillery now because it takes too long for me to line up my shot on the defensive structure. Pressing A or D just moves it too much and I usually have to reverse, drive forward and turn to get it on target. By this time, after missing my first shot or two, the enemy is already aware of my presence and I've lost my advantage. That's just when the surface is flat, it's even more difficult if I'm on uneven terrain (hello, CanyonRiver's stream) or on the side of a hill.

And I'm confused, you said 'voting against deployed artillery units' but then said you can get behind it. Are you against having to deploy in order to fire (something I never suggested) or deploying in general?

When the pivot change got implemented, I just couldn't hit anything like I used to. I stopped buying artillery altogether until the later patch that reverted it. It may improve your aim, but in my case it threw me off entirely.

29 minutes ago, NodGuy said:

And I'm confused, you said 'voting against deployed artillery units' but then said you can get behind it. Are you against having to deploy in order to fire (something I never suggested) or deploying in general?

I mean if you can deploy with Q I likely just won't press the Q button as suggested and stay mobile.

1 hour ago, FRAYDO said:

When the pivot change got implemented, I just couldn't hit anything like I used to. I stopped buying artillery altogether until the later patch that reverted it. It may improve your aim, but in my case it threw me off entirely.

I mean if you can deploy with Q I likely just won't press the Q button as suggested and stay mobile.

Then you should've voted Yea because the poll was for deploying and not pivoting.

22 minutes ago, FRAYDO said:

My vote stands for the option against a Q deploy button. I don't see a need for it.

My stated reasons are a legitimate need for it. It may not be an issue for you but it's a serious issue for me, and the fact that its use is optional should mean that no one is against it because I don't believe it would be hard to implement, though I'm no W3D expert.

Maybe the poll was a mistake because, again, people shouldn't be against additional options.

6 hours ago, Pyryle said:

This was the case, and while a useful thing for stealthy tactics or funny for making your helicopter fall/flip and then turn on and right itself again, it didn't apply any sort of brakes, so it wouldn't be useful for what the OP wishes.

As far as pivoting, I'm okay either way, and I'm even okay without deploying. Keeping your aim straight on a slim, distant target is something that takes practice and skill, key elements for a game. Projectile extensions help immensely with this. I wouldn't be against the choice though if deploying was implemented, I'm just fine with things the way they are.

I remember a while back there was a call for handbrake functionality for these units, which never got implemented. It would be cool if your vehicle's wheels would lock as long as Q was held or something.

I'm against full deploy functionality for these units because I feel that it takes away from their manoeuvrability.

Can't say I'd like to see the pivot. It is already far easier to hit things with the Arty than the V2.

And we definitely don't need the allies having yet another advantage over the nerfbound soviets.

However, deploy would be great, but if as push said that's a problem, perhaps traction could work? ... Engine limitations are a pain.

Edited by SirJustin90

1 hour ago, OWA said:

I remember a while back there was a call for handbrake functionality for these units, which never got implemented. It would be cool if your vehicle's wheels would lock as long as Q was held or something.

I'm against full deploy functionality for these units because I feel that ti takes away from their manoeuvrability.

Again, deploying is an option. You don't have to do it if you don't want you. This would just be an option for those with high ping or those on uneven terrain who have difficulty lining up their shot.

Eh, I'm on the fence. It sounds like there's some serious technical considerations in the way.

On the other hand, shows me something else I missed in the gap in my time here. I remember when ramming people was against the rules, now it's encouraged :)

Edited by OrangeP47

20 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

On the other hand, shows me something else I missed in the gap in my time here. I remember when ramming people was against the rules, now it's encouraged :)

Ramming was bad back before Gamma because it resulted in either party being sent to blue hell - no longer the case. Now it's only considered bad against ore trucks, but even then, if they're on open ground they tend to not have trouble getting back on track after being rammed.

Instead of deploying could pressing Q rather just give the Arty/V2 large amounts of traction while reducing engine power immensely? I still imagine some skulduggery going on but wont this mean you can still be effected by ramming to an extent? anyway not sure if it would be any different when put into practice xD

37 minutes ago, KevinLancaster said:

Didn't holding spacebar used to have an effect on vehicles back in .9935? It causes infantry to walk but does that have any analogue with vehicles?

It causes vehicles to move slower but not by much.

This would change the balance of the artillery a bit, do you argue in favor of that?

I myself would like the deploying feature, but probably not if ramming becomes impossible. No real opinion on pivoting. 

I do find that the artillery's recent price increase has made it much more of a gamble than before - if indeed you fail in lining up shots for the various reasons given by NodGuy, you've wasted a pretty big sum of money. 

I would like to see something (small)  change about the artillery to relieve this feeling, though it could be anything. Maybe even a front camera angle to help you see trajectory and impact better. 

Edited by GaryOak