[blurb]It's been some time since the last update! This month is but a simple blog as the team continues to perfect Apocalypse Rising.[/blurb]

Qlb79fK.png

It's been some time since the last update! This month is but a simple blog as the team continues to perfect Apocalypse Rising. The past weeks have seen numerous upgrades under the hood, the creation of several new effects that will be important for certain buildings, and patches based on tester feedback.

moonsense715 has been quite busy between Refinery interior modeling, updating the Desolator with new scripts and effects, and adding Tesla Coil state change scripts. In addition to those, he has also implemented Romanov's objective markers and Soviet Purchase Terminals and has been diligent in fixing bugs as soon as they are reported. Expect to see more pertaining to this in a later update.

Our latest test highlighted some blatant balance issues, most notably OP Tesla Tanks and underwhelming Prism Tanks. With our testers consistently providing feedback the dev team strives to refine balance for all units and clear that hurdle, bringing us one step closer to public release.

Included in this blog are two videos while the team continues to develop Apocalypse Rising.

This one shows off a popular early-game tactic among our testers. They won't see this one coming!

Be on the lookout for the next update! You may be in awe of what's to come.

I am looking forward to RA2 ARs release. However, I bet there is still a buttload of testing, stabilizing, balancing, and otherwise perfecting before release. Translated, I bet this game wont be out for a super long time. Oh well, that's the price for a game like this. If anyone can, please prove me wrong. To end this reply on a not so doubtful note, I wonder if the Yuri faction will ever be added or see a Mental Omega mod for AR?

10 hours ago, TIberiumGhost said:

To end this reply on a not so doubtful note, I wonder if the Yuri faction will ever be added or see a Mental Omega mod for AR?

I can pretty much say no to both and a gigantic definitive no to the second question in particular.

24 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Reinstalled already? What YR version? Origin? Original? CnCNet?

I use the The First Decade version. And no, I haven't reïnstalled yet. Haven't felt like it yet. :v

On 10/6/2017 at 10:02 AM, Nodlied said:

I can pretty much say no to both and a gigantic definitive no to the second question in particular.

Why am I not surprised? Oh well, it was just an idea that seemed fun. But, the latter being denied makes more sense than the former being denied. Mental Omega is a huge RA2 mod that has four factions, each with three sub-factions and a Buttload of units all together. Yeah, should have seen that one coming. The former on the other hand, I know it would take some time for the Yuri units to be made and perfected. Unless that is the reason for the former being denied, I am confused.

20 hours ago, Mojoman said:

Can you even have a game with 3 player factions in it including buildings? Just curious about engine limitations.

I think the engine still uses 'GDI vs Nod' logic that's just overwritten with Allies vs Soviets, with some minor loopholes that allow for a Neutral faction. As far as I know, buildings use the sort of logic that won't allow them to be Neutral, so they must be one of the two factions.

This doesn't account for the capturable Oil Derricks though, so I could be wrong.

Oil Derricks etc don't use actual building controllers and are purely controlled by the scripts we've written around them. In theory we could go in this direction for core buildings too and stop using the building controllers, but that's not the only thing preventing more than 2 teams.

Only team 0 or team 1 can win a match for instance... ? Also the scoreboard won't show the team score for other teams and barely copes with showing the players on the extra teams (if you put people on them manually). A lot of the server tooling is based on 2 teams too.

In theory all of these things *could* be fixed and expanded to support more teams... But we simply don't have enough people and those we do have don't have enough time to do everything.

I'm not sure 3 or more teams would benefit the gameplay at all, until the ingame player count is above 80 at all times. I mean unless we fabricate specific rules, I don't see how we could force any teams to not make a temporary alliance with another to annihilate the third team before turning on eachother again. Since this isn't an RTS, 3 teams at the same time would probably make the gameplay a little overcomplicated. I mean it could happen on some specific maps than the 2 factions make an alliance against a third team, but that third team would not have units controlled by real players then.

1 hour ago, ChopBam said:

Yuri could still have a faction, but perhaps maps could still only be using two of the three teams. Each map would have a battle pitching Allies vs Soviets, Allies vs Yuri, or Soviets vs Yuri.

In RA2, Yuri units were part of the Soviet team. Maybe you guys could develop special maps that have these Yuri units attached to the Soviet team? You could balance it out by adding a special Yuri's Revenge specific Allied unit to the Allied team.

1 minute ago, moonsense715 said:

There's also one thing wrong with the Yuri faction in the fps perspective, the entire mind control mechanism. It's hard to make fun for players, and we still haven't come up with a good implementation idea.

Objective specific map: Allies must eliminate the Soviet Cloning Vats within a specified time. Whenever a Soviet player purchases a new infantry unit (with a 5 minute cooldown or something), the Cloning Vats make a bot version of the unit to attack the Allies. It doesn't have mind control, which is what everyone thinks of when they think 'Yuri', but it's closer to having a bit of Yuri in AR.

36 minutes ago, moonsense715 said:

There's also one thing wrong with the Yuri faction in the fps perspective, the entire mind control mechanism. It's hard to make fun for players, and we still haven't come up with a good implementation idea.

Wait, we'd actually be able to do: the magnetron's weapon, fun and engaging melee mechanics for the brute, the Virus's bio warhead, slave miners, and gattling spin-up?

41 minutes ago, moonsense715 said:

Back in the day we thought of replacing the players with bots (aka the player would be killed and replaced by a bot), same mechanic for the cloning (assigning a bot to your character when you purchased it).

Not sure if it could be done in the engine now but the bots we have now seem a lot better.

30 minutes ago, Nodlied said:

Wait, we'd actually be able to do: the magnetron's weapon, fun and engaging melee mechanics for the brute, the Virus's bio warhead, slave miners, and gattling spin-up?

Probably, yeah. Most of Yuri's stuff are fun and awesome, but the main focus of the team is the power of mind control however.

28 minutes ago, VERTi60 said:

Back in the day we thought of replacing the players with bots (aka the player would be killed and replaced by a bot), same mechanic for the cloning (assigning a bot to your character when you purchased it).

Not sure if it could be done in the engine now but the bots we have now seem a lot better.

I remember that, but we found it unfair if a player permanently lost a character, especially if the Barracks was dead already, robbing their teammates of the ability to kill the Yuri clone and free their character.