Level Edit (Renegade)

I have a few questions regard a few scripts in LE for Renegade. I want to apologize ahead of time for some of these questions, as I only worked with these scripts once maybe twice, and then took a 3 year hiatus, and I pretty much don't remember anything about them at all anymore. 

Here it goes...

I have a repair pad in C&C Ridgeline (b8) that doesn't work. I fired up LE to take a look and there is no script selected there. That's the problem, right? No. The OTHER repair pad works just fine, as well as the scripts for the beacon zone, and defenses (turrets & GTs), and capturable silos, but the odd thing is, even though those structures work, they ALSO don't have any scripts selected in LE, which I think is just weird. I'm not sure if I have a wrong version of LE, or what. I also remember seeing the options for scripts named something like... z_base_defense_something something. I don't see ANY scripts with z in the front, which I remember those.

What am I missing here? And what options for scripts would be the best choice for defenses, repair pads & silos? 

14 hours ago, trunkskgb said:

I have a few questions regard a few scripts in LE for Renegade. I want to apologize ahead of time for some of these questions, as I only worked with these scripts once maybe twice, and then took a 3 year hiatus, and I pretty much don't remember anything about them at all anymore. 

Here it goes...

I have a repair pad in C&C Ridgeline (b8) that doesn't work. I fired up LE to take a look and there is no script selected there. That's the problem, right? No. The OTHER repair pad works just fine, as well as the scripts for the beacon zone, and defenses (turrets & GTs), and capturable silos, but the odd thing is, even though those structures work, they ALSO don't have any scripts selected in LE, which I think is just weird. I'm not sure if I have a wrong version of LE, or what. I also remember seeing the options for scripts named something like... z_base_defense_something something. I don't see ANY scripts with z in the front, which I remember those.

What am I missing here? And what options for scripts would be the best choice for defenses, repair pads & silos? 

My guess is that your Renegade game with the C&C_Ridgeline_b8 has the script.dll in there while your Level Editor on another hand doesn't have the script.dll in it. Your using z_base_defenses which is a Zunnie script, but if your Level editor is the same like 5 years ago back in mpf it should work fine unless you reinstall your Level Editor than you might not have that custom script anymore.

Currently I am using dp88_ai_turret and ra_base_defense_simple for base defenses. For capturable silos and repair pad I am using dblaney custom script. I do not have any capturable defenses in my map/mod.

EDITED : I forget i had capturable base defenses in my map/mod totally forget about it, please refer the post below. :)

Hi Trunks,

Zunnies scripts were removed from the scripts project back in 4.1. For the repair pad use db_captureable_repairpad and db_capturaeble_repairzone. For silos use db_captureable_silo and lastly use db_capturable_object for defenses or other neutral structures. Those function similar to zunnies old scripts. 

9 hours ago, dblaney1 said:

Hi Trunks,

Zunnies scripts were removed from the scripts project back in 4.1. For the repair pad use db_captureable_repairpad and db_capturaeble_repairzone. For silos use db_captureable_silo and lastly use db_capturable_object for defenses or other neutral structures. Those function similar to zunnies old scripts. 

Thanks man, I'll look again and see what I have. I did reinstall like Kaskins said, so I'm sure that's causing it.

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 8:18 AM, trunkskgb said:

@dblaney1 I found all those scripts you mentioned above for the defenses and I chose RA_Base_Defense_Simple, so I would assume I'm using the most current version of LE. I noticed I didn't have to choose 0 or 1 for teams, is that normal these days?

Also for some reason, after adding all these scripts, only half of my defenses worked, all of Nod work, but not GDI. What would cause that?

Would would be an appropriate script for  regular repair pads, and regular silos? IE, not capturable.

Make sure if theres a scripts.dll inside your leveledit edit directory that its updated as well. Sometimes on actual map export it uses that one for the parameters. Also make sure your defenses have sightdownmuzzle checked in their preset and have valid sight ranges. 

I'll get back to you on what to do for the repairpads and silos that aren't capturable.

Thanks dblaney, you're the man. I know many people think Renegade is dying, and maybe it is, but I enjoy designing maps, always have for C&C games. I want to be able to remember how to do this in the future, so I'm writing all this stuff down and making printouts since many of the old tutorials and sites are diminishing.

1 hour ago, trunkskgb said:

many of the old tutorials and sites are diminishing.

For this reason, we're trying to collect as much information in our tutorials section as we can find. If you have anything to contribute to it, it is most welcome!

3 hours ago, trunkskgb said:

PS: I like your comment from Nyerguds in your signature! haha

Yeah! haha so I was PM'ing with him a couple years ago, something about TibDawn, and I mentioned that the EA folks have really just forgotten this franchise/don't care anymore, etc, thus me contacting him for help on the issue I was having. And he replied with that :biggrin: He's a pretty cool guy, and knows his stuff!

Good news, after using dp88_ai_turret rather than the RA_Simple_Defense, my Turrets, Guard Towers, Ceiling Guns, and custom secondary defenses ALL work now!

I assume that since I am using this script, and it works, that I am updated to the most recent version of scripts.dll, right? How would I know, or how can I find out?

The next script to employ will be for my repair pads. dblaney said he would get back to me on that. No rush.

Edited by trunkskgb

So I am up to date then?

If so, I have another question. I made "temp" Rocket Emplacements before, and changed weapons to AGT and Obelisk laser, rather than rockets. When I try to edit the model, or make another one, those options are not available to me? Screen shots below.

Also, pickups that INCREASE health, not restore, how do I make those?

defense1.jpg

defense2.jpg

For the temp rocket emplacements missing settings: Click the SpawnDefinitionIDList, find out what presets the spawner is pointing to, and then find and edit those presets instead of the spawner.

Spawners only spawn other objects, you can't edit those objects' settings from the spawner dialog.

(Don't mind that these are APB settings, I couldn't be bothered to get the ren LE for this :p)

Image3.png

Image4.png

For pickups that increase health instead of restoring: Under the settings for Powerups, check out GrantHealthMax and GrantShieldStrengthMax, and the associated "tick this for percentages" boxes.

If those boxes are unticked, the powerup will increase the user's max health or shield by exactly the number you put in the Max box, but if they are ticked, it'll increase max health/shield based on a percentage of the max health of the user's character class (where 1.00 = +100% max health).

So in this example screenshot, this pickup with 0.1 in both GrantMax and the percentage options ticked, increases the user's maximum health and shield by 10% (and also full heals due to the 999, if you don't want that just set those to 0), which would give +5 max health/shield if you're using a character with a fresh max health/shield of 50, and +100 max health/shield to a character with a fresh max health/shield of 1000.

Image7.png

@Pushwall Thanks Pushwall!

I figured out the Spawn Rocket Emplacements, and Health upgrade! It's been so long since I've worked with LE, that I thought I did things differently before....but I do remember MPF having their own version of LE, so maybe that's why? Oh well, as long as I can edit now, that's all that makes me happy. I'm WRITING EVERYTHING down as I go for future use! :D

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 6:38 AM, moonsense715 said:

That is only a model, you need to place a Purchase Terminal object.
image-59-PT1.JPG

More level setup stuff here:
https://w3dhub.com/forum/topic/414755-generic-level-creation-guide-max-leveledit-heightfield-ingame/

Hmm, I tried that preset the other day, but when I click "Make", nothing happens. No object appears for me to move around. It's weird.

May I suggest you look up how proxies work? They are a very convenient way to place presets in 3DS Max.

In short, you could be placing GDI purchase terminals by naming a 1x1x1 box mesh in 3DS Max: pct_zone_gdi~

The ~ at the end of a mesh makes the game not look at it like a piece of terrain but rather it checks for what presets exist with that name and loads those in place. You can have endless purchase terminals placed this way, numbers after the ~ do not affect preset loading.

Do note that a lot of RENEGADE presets have too lengthy names. W3D meshes cannot have names exceeded 15 characters (a silly limitation), so if a preset is called SuperFancyBuildingSegmentFiveThousand then you're going to have to create a replacement temporarily preset with a shorter name.

Edited by Raap

So I just make a box in 3ds with those dimensions and name it...  pct_zone_gdi~ ... and LE will recognize it as a PT in game? Should it be pct_zone_nod~ for Nod?

I can't believe it's that easy, all this time I've been browsing presets lol. 

5 minutes ago, trunkskgb said:

So I just make a box in 3ds with those dimensions and name it...  pct_zone_gdi~ ... and LE will recognize it as a PT in game? Should it be pct_zone_nod~ for Nod?

I can't believe it's that easy, all this time I've been browsing presets lol. 

Indeed. If the naming is correct, the object will appear in LE and will be locked in place. You can unlock and move it, but on the next map load it will go back to its original, proxied position.
There's a tutorial on proxies here: https://w3dhub.com/forum/topic/414693-proxies/

I've made my proxies. They appeared weird at 1st. I didn't see them in LE, which I thought I would, but they did appear in game, but I couldn't access them. I think I had them too low, set to 0 on the Z axis. I raised them up higher, hopefully I can access them. I hope that's the only reason. 

I was waiting on dblaney for what script to use for normal repair pads, but I will make them capturable in the meantime since he gave me those scripts. 

I also need a new "Beacon Prevention Zone" script. What should I use for that? I looked last night, but I was also tired and could have missed it.