The Rocketeer's Weapon

OWA

Hey guys. I'm just taking another look at the Rocketeer and I'm unsure about what his weapon actually is. I originally thought that it was some sort of revolving flechette launcher, but I'm not so sure. Here are the details:

• In RA2 the Rocketeer's weapon is listed simply as "20mm"
  • On the EVA Database page, the weapon is listed as being "Integrated twin 20mm assault rifles with suppressors" which I believe to be wrong, due to the way the Rocketeer only fires one shot at a time and the impact effect appears to display an element of spray; as multiple impact points are visible. Reference
  • In the concept art, the Rocketeer's weapon appears to have a revolving magazine. The same kind of magazine that you can see on weapons such as the Milkor MGL.

The question I want to pose to you guys is simple. What do you think the Rocketeer is armed with? 

Was I right the first time by saying that it's a Flechette Launcher or could it be some kind of Shotgun, Rifle or Grenade Launcher?

Here's the original concept art by TJFrame:

tj-frame-tjframe-art-ra2-alliedrocketeer

Here's also an additional piece of concept art that's a bit older:

Rocketeer Early Concept.jpg

Cheers!

Most logical would be a lightweight burst-fire micro-rocket launcher, '20mm' rockets to be exact. High velocity projectiles (but slower than average bullets) with small explosive warheads that do minimal area damage but do offer a reasonable punch to vehicles and structures, and when directly hitting infantry.

A single burst would be 6 to 8 mini rockets depending on the design of the weapon, see your final concept art, which matches this weapon conceptual nearly perfectly.

My 2c. While it may not be the un-animated 'magic bullet' weapon in-game from RA2, I believe a mini burst rocket launcher would fit concept art while also still generally being both cooler and suiting to the unit theme.

Edit: Raap, don't try writing words while suffering from coffee deficiency. Bad words happen when you do.

Edit2: Come to think of it I may have accidentally ripped this idea from PlanetSide2. Here is their spin on a 'rocket rifle', used by an infantry class that has a jet-pack... (it all makes sense now):

CEcTNuvUgAEcCFi.jpg:large

Edited by Raap

1 hour ago, Raap said:

Most logical would be a lightweight burst-fire micro-rocket launcher, '20mm' rockets to be exact. High velocity projectiles (but slower than average bullets) with small explosive warheads that do minimal area damage but do offer a reasonable punch to vehicles and structures, and when directly hitting infantry.

A single burst would be 6 to 8 mini rockets depending on the design of the weapon, see your final concept art, which matches this weapon conceptual nearly perfectly.

My 2c. While it may not be the un-animated 'magic bullet' weapon in-game from RA2, I believe a mini burst rocket launcher would fit concept art while also still generally being both cooler and suiting to the unit theme.

Edit: Raap, don't try writing words while suffering from coffee deficiency. Bad words happen when you do.

Edit2: Come to think of it I may have accidentally ripped this idea from PlanetSide2. Here is their spin on a 'rocket rifle', used by an infantry class that has a jet-pack... (it all makes sense now):

CEcTNuvUgAEcCFi.jpg:large

That weapon reference is awesome Raap, thanks for sharing! I do like the idea of a low-damage auto-cannon or rocket launcher. I'll look a bit deeper into the sci-fi angle to see what I can dig up too.

This has been really helpful, cheers!

Auto-cannon makes more sense, which would explain the non-neglibile damage they do to vehicles and structures. I don't support the micro-rocket idea, as the missile would still have to have some trails, and would've been even better against vehicles/structures but worse against infantry.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

42 minutes ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Auto-cannon makes more sense, which would explain the non-neglibile damage they do to vehicles and structures. I don't support the micro-rocket idea, as the missile would still have to have some trails, and would've been even better against vehicles/structures but worse against infantry.

I was leaning towards auto-cannon as well for these exact reasons. Naturally we can give whatever damage values we want for the projectile, but there would definitely be more expectations there if the weapon was a Rocket Launcher.

4 hours ago, OWA said:

On the EVA Database page, the weapon is listed as being "Integrated twin 20mm assault rifles with suppressors" which I believe to be wrong, due to the way the Rocketeer only fires one shot at a time and the

Please keep in mind that the EVA database is notoriously unreliable.

I admit, this one has me puzzled. The concept art and damage values makes me think that it's either an auto-cannon or a grenade launcher (the latter would be extra cool since it would give RA2 a grenadier, which was in all of the C&C games prior), but the in game animation from RA2 makes me think something like a machine gun or shotgun. It really is a bit of a mystery, isn't it?

20 hours ago, OWA said:

I was leaning towards auto-cannon as well for these exact reasons. Naturally we can give whatever damage values we want for the projectile, but there would definitely be more expectations there if the weapon was a Rocket Launcher.

Such small rockets do not need big smoke trails though, short and thin streams would be enough to communicate to players what they are (along with audio, weapon firing and explosion effects). By no means use standard rockets as a point of reference for particle effects for a weapon like this, so try not to box yourself into a corner - similarly, I never believed a game inspired by another game has to always carbon-copy the latter, but that creativity should be applied where it can be justified.

Anyhow, good luck with the project. :)

Edited by Raap

• 2 months later...

20mm autocannons make sense, they have been used since the 1940s and can be very compact. Like said earlier it would explain them doing good damage to buildings as well.

1940 autocannon

Japanese_20mm_Type_99_gun__Mk1f11.jpg

squad level use 20mm based off the MK42 and MK19 40mm launchers

1682127_-_main.jpg

even Rheinmetall makes 30mm cannons small enoughRheinmetall-Borsig_MK_108.jpg