Project Hunter - Game Development

Jarmo

Howdy guys,

I came across W3d from CNCNZ/ a mention from Kaskins. I'm working on creating a spiritual successor to Sole Survivor called "Project Hunter." I hope to modernize some of the elements. I'm also hoping to crowd source and test the game from within the remains of the C&C community. It's still early in the project but I'm looking to be at Alpha ~ Summer 2019. I have a youtube here documenting progress:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC753zeOauh5c1TvG6JuoFQA/videos

I'm updating forum posts in the meantime to see if others want to contribute. I wont be done with netcode until likely March 2018.

Here are the latest updates:
-----------------------------------

- Been adding some features and optimizing other things for performance.
- Started a map system.
- Fixed a bunch of camera nuances for smoothness.
- Added level height, currently two levels like the original C&C/RA.
- Moved to more of an isometric view, its now a 30/30.

Next things will be to:
- Put in more accurate ballistics for the artillery (sphere).
- Render elevation changes in the chassis, I think turrets will stay level to give it a C&C feel.
- Work more on map system.
- Start on Client Side Rendering Netcode.

I'll look to post a video update this weekend.

Edited by Jarmo

Hey Jarmo! Ditto to FRAYDO's statement. I'm curious, Sole Survivor was a failed attempt to put aspects of a FPS into an RTS. I don't think it had a lot of interest, and the project was abandoned in favor of Renegade. Could be wrong, but from my understanding, what is your drive for resurrecting this mechanic? Will you be changing the rules to make it more fun and less of a "he who fires first wins" thing?

Hi Jarmo, thank you for coming over here. There was a mod called Sole Survivor for Renegade as a mod but I was not around that time, which I have no idea how was it.

Its an ancient mod which I do not think is active anymore.

http://www.renegadeforums.com/index.php?t=tree&th=8480&

I wish you good luck in your project and I will help out with some placeholder models if you ever need. :)

On 8-12-2017 at 3:20 PM, Kaskins said:

Hi Jarmo, thank you for coming over here. There was a mod called Sole Survivor for Renegade as a mod but I was not around that time, which I have no idea how was it.

Its an ancient mod which I do not think is active anymore.

http://www.renegadeforums.com/index.php?t=tree&th=8480&

I wish you good luck in your project and I will help out with some placeholder models if you ever need. :)

That mod had some pretty cool ideas. It did not feature traditional C&C mode gameplay, but instead offered, among other things, a 'defend the MCV' mode where two teams had a moving MCV on the map, they had to defend theirs while destroy the one of the opposing team. There were other modes as well, including a ~50 round battle against ever increasingly more difficult waves of AI opponents, which even included a spectator mode for players via cameras you could toggle between through a console.

It just lacked substantially in the graphical departement and was a true mod - not stand alone. It also, as far as I can remember, launched, shined for one or two patch cycles, and then support was dropped by the creators. But outside of anything featured on W3DHub, it was one of the better W3D projects of that time.

But yeah, that old project had gameplay components I sometimes used to wish I knew how to easily repro in an APB project, but the source assets of the project are gone and so is the scripts support of that era.

Edited by Raap