2 hours ago, Zwei said:

always2.zip and movies.zip fail to download/install. Can you fine tune your installation's procedure in the launcher? I turned my firewall off and its still not working.   

Have you tried the repair option? Also make sure your hard drive has plenty of space. Always2 is the largest package so if you're almost out of space then this is a pretty good indicator.

1 minute ago, Wyld said:

Saw the server downloaded everything joined all I got was a black screen and music.

Yeah, the trick for my computer is to reboot and start ECW as fast as I  can and then it works, but most people don't have any luck with that and they have to run a low resolution.

I got 60 gigs free in my D drive, where W3D Hub is installed. In the launcher, there are no options for ECW, its only the install button that responds. But every time, always2.zip and movies.zip fail to download. Re-upload ECW thru the launcher, just try again, this current download package is incomplete, doesn't work (for me) Wheres the exception.txt? How come the other two mods work/have been working since, but not this one?

@Jerad2142 Your always2.dat is the largest file, perhaps it would make sense to split it up into several smaller files to prevent issues, such as the launcher appearing to 'hang' on it.

Although I'm not sure how many always# files the game can read.

Edited by Raap

@Jerad2142 Your always2.dat is the largest file, perhaps it would make sense to split it up into several smaller files to prevent issues.

Although I'm not sure how many always# files the game can read.

Edit: Question, how persistent is the game? I logged in again today and lost essentially everything, so I take it when the map reloads all data is reset? It feels a bit weird having 800k vanish just because of a reboot or crash in a game mode like this.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:22 AM, Raap said:

It feels a bit weird having 800k vanish just because of a reboot or crash in a game mode like this.

In such events, your money gets automatically deposited into your bank account! You should still have access to that 800K, and you'll now be earning interest!

On 3-1-2018 at 5:27 PM, FRAYDO said:

In such events, your money gets automatically deposited into your bank account! You should still have access to that 800K, and you'll now be earning interest!

So the persistence of the game is cross-map?

I'd like some more details on this given that ECW appears to lack a general project feature overview or generally just explaining how it achieves what it does.

@RaapFavorite weapons and vehicles, cash, perk unlock progress, records, housing, jail sentences, and favorite characters.

When a round ends the vehicle you're in and the weapons you have are sold, the money on hand is then put into your bank account.

Perks can be used in the other game mods.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

11 hours ago, Jerad2142 said:

@RaapFavorite weapons and vehicles, cash, perk unlock progress, records, housing, jail sentences, and favorite characters.

When a round ends the vehicle you're in and the weapons you have are sold, the money on hand is then put into your bank account.

Perks can be used in the other game mods.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

I'm just very curious how you've managed to do this. I mean I understand you use a custom scripts/code base not compatible with for example APB or more recent 'official' script build releases, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can learn from your approach to account/character persistence so that I might perhaps apply something - on a vastly smaller scale - to other project contributions.

Perhaps you want to keep things secret? Either way I'd love more specific details. All I got right now is speculation where I presume you do a lot of server-side data manipulation with minimal client input, but for all I know you could have created new methods of client <-> server communication to achieve some of this persistence. :)

• 10 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Raap said:

I'm just very curious how you've managed to do this. I mean I understand you use a custom scripts/code base not compatible with for example APB or more recent 'official' script build releases, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can learn from your approach to account/character persistence so that I might perhaps apply something - on a vastly smaller scale - to other project contributions.

Perhaps you want to keep things secret? Either way I'd love more specific details. All I got right now is speculation where I presume you do a lot of server-side data manipulation with minimal client input, but for all I know you could have created new methods of client <-> server communication to achieve some of this persistence. :)

Woops sorry I over looked this, its pretty basic stuff, I decided to store all server data with flat files due to wanting people to be able to host things in LAN, otherwise I might have attached a small database for everything. Weapon favoriting works by holding out a weapon and pushing period, the server then adds your name and the weapon name to a file which is loaded on server load. Its pretty much the same for everything else that saves and loads. I'm lucky that ECW hasn't been super popular, if there had been more than the max player count on the server at a time I'd have to set up some shared database between the servers so all player data would persist, luckily I only needed one server.

Hah, alright!

I will not be doing any persistence in any potential project I may or may not begin sometime next year. Not because I see no use for it, as I could certainly do a few interesting things with the concept of persistence. No, I am avoiding it simply to not bury myself in work within a field I have zero expertise in - and your reply confirms I made the right call here.

The lack of persistence does bring with it a certain benefit; It keeps the game you're making an actual game, where you can log on, play, do stuff, and forget it - a lack of persistence removes a certain burden from players as they will feel less likely to be forced into playing a specific way "because the game remembers their actions". Real life already does that enough for us, so no, I'd keep it nice and simple!

But anyhow, I still am impressed by the end-product that ECW is, and despite your own relief of not having hundreds of players to deal with, I do hope you can gain some more activity for your game - you earned that.

Edited by Raap