Super Black Screen

After some messing around in the settings of ECW, I found and set the multi-sample anti-alias in the BHS.dll options. Now whenever I try to load the game, it always gives me a black screen. Not even the known ways of working around the black screen issue in 'Testament's Tips on Surviving ECW' work. Now what?

3 hours ago, danpaul88 said:

I think he's saying he turned it on and now can't turn it back off because he can't get into the in-game options where that setting lives because of the black screen issue

You my friend got it dead right, with multi sample antialias turned on, I ALWAYS get a black screen.

Edited by TIberiumGhost
A more clear response

• 2 months later...

My friends and brothers in the ECW dev team and community, I have found a non-practical way to fix this impassable Super Black Screen issue. The solution, a computer reset and a fresh install of Windows. Once again, not very practical. I had to reset computer and reinstall windows because of either a virus or a registry problem that caused my file explorer to fail, making my computer a pain in the ass to work with.

ECW dev team, if you can fix this problem for other users who may be experiencing this same impassable black screen problem as well, please do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 7:18 AM, Jerad2142 said:

Nah, black screen started on my main PC months if not years after I'd had ECW already installed on it without problem.

That's how it was was with me as well. I installed ECW and it ran fine, no problems whatsoever. Then I started messing around in the BHS.dll section in the options which I suspect made an unintended change to a registry key.

No, I will bet more that what happened to me was a change in the game's options that corrupted a registry key, and anything else (Windows or another program) would have a negligible impact or nothing at all.

I would employ the use of a registry compare tool. There are many free tools that can take a "snapshot" of the state of your registry, and then allow you to compare to other snapshots taken at different times. This comparison will reveal what is actually being changed.

That would have been great, if I had known about a registry comparison program a lot sooner. But it is not gonna do me a whole lot of good now because the black screen issue I had has been resolved. But I will remember this for possible future registry problems.