Should the missile silo not be able to generate multiple flares

This is something that's bothered me for a bit - it doesn't really make sense that in a missile silo that only has room to arm and fuel one missile at a time, you can wait double the arming time and launch two missiles back to back. Would it be possible / worth doing to make it so the 5 minute countdown to create the next flare only starts on the previous missile launching?

Double flares > teamhamperers taking a flare, not using it, preventing the rest of the team from doing flare drops because they have a flare, and hiding their dickery by using a class that has multiple weapons (of which there are many) so the flare doesn't show up on their waist so that nobody actually has any idea who to report to the moderators (unlike with many other forms of TH)

Or the possibility that people doing this aren't intentionally teamhampering at all and just haven't read the changelog because hardly anyone actually does that, and then they get hounded by their team for it.

As much as I hate double flares, i think pushwall is right on this one. Keep in mind that the person who grabs the first one needs to survive another 5+ minutes, and players who are not willing to risk their life in game hamper their team by quite a lot. In essence, if you're saving up flares you're putting your team at a disadvantage for the other team to exploit.

To be fair I would not mind removing double flares if there's a way that doesn't have the aforementioned issues. Maybe making it so if a flare is planted (and actually sticks - since moving during planting causes it to un-plant) your team can't place any more flares until the current flare has succeeded or been disarmed, or something. Flare placements do get reported to mod IRC so we can see if people are hampering with that, but there's limited potential for that compared to with only one person being able to carry a flare at a time.

A lazy quick-fix would be to extend the missile silo launch animation to have an extra 57 seconds of "dead air", since you can't plant during the silo's launch animation, but that would cause you to be unable to flare for a minute even if the flare didn't actually stick because you moved or got shoved while planting. So a lazy fix wouldn't be good.

What if anyone carrying a flare had some sort of floating icon notation thing above their head that let only their team members know that they possess a flare? A little glowy nuke symbol or something. I know such things are possible. Any reason why its a bad idea?

EDIT: And maybe a notation in the B/N screens as well, in case nobody can find the player physically.

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

What if anyone carrying a flare had some sort of floating icon notation thing above their head that let only their team members know that they possess a flare? A little glowy nuke symbol or something. I know such things are possible. Any reason why its a bad idea?

EDIT: And maybe a notation in the B/N screens as well, in case nobody can find the player physically.

Even in CS you know who's carrying the bomb by looking at the team list :)

• 2 weeks later...

Random thought - flares have a time limit to be used, if you hold onto it for too long (6,7 minutes? That's enough time to rush and die or plant) it just disappears from your inventory and a new one will spawn.

Won't stop people literally sitting on top of the spawn point the whole game but they're easy to report to a mod that way because it's obvious who is stood there waiting

15 hours ago, danpaul88 said:

Random thought - flares have a time limit to be used, if you hold onto it for too long (6,7 minutes? That's enough time to rush and die or plant) it just disappears from your inventory and a new one will spawn.

Won't stop people literally sitting on top of the spawn point the whole game but they're easy to report to a mod that way because it's obvious who is stood there waiting

I dunno, I've had to literally sit in one spot for 10 to 15 minutes to plant at the perfect time.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, danpaul88 said:

this would effectively murder stealthy spy flaring, which is already super hard to pull off anyway

Hadn't thought of that, although it could be argued holding onto the flare for that long is less useful than a failed attempt which then allows a new flare to spawn - plus if you're lurking as a spy doing nothing for 15 minutes waiting for the perfect opportunity to plant a flare your team is effectively a player down in the field for a long time. Just my 2 cents, it's a long time since I've played so maybe I'm just out of touch.

admittedly it is a huge gamble with... no payoff, pretty often. Although I'd argue that's as much on the spy being pretty useless in general just as anything else. not like knowing there's three heavy tanks and a mammoth on the field is gonna do anyone much good, especially if those tanks have already been spotted by other means.