Hi everyone, I have this Installation Failed problem whenever W3D Launcher has finished downloading the files and  then installation always fails when installing "msvc-2013.zip".

It won't go anywhere beyond that point.

*Here's what I've tried to fix the problem but to no avail:

- I have cleared the APB cache, deleting everything in "C:\ProgramData\W3D Hub\Launcher\package-cache\games\apb"

- Re-downloading all Red Alert APB files through the launcher, no download  problems.

- Download finished smoothly but installation fails every time  when installing the "msvc-2013.zip"

- I've repeated the steps above for 4 (four) times and still stuck on failing to install the "msvc-2013.zip"

Hope anyone knows a workaround for this problem.

Kindly thank you for your time and attention lads, best regards :)

RA APB Error.jpg

I'm not sure why the APB team are still using msvc 2013 in the first place, I thought it wasn't needed anymore... Might need to check up on that.

In the meantime, the error you're seeing is that Microsoft's visual c runtime (msvc) isn't installing correctly - we just run the installer that Microsoft provide so I'm not sure why that would fail. Can you send me the errors.txt file from my documents/w3d hub/launcher so we can see what the Microsoft installer reported as an error (if anything)

Just now, danpaul88 said:

I'm not sure why the APB team are still using msvc 2013 in the first place, I thought it wasn't needed anymore... Might need to check up on that.

In the meantime, the error you're seeing is that Microsoft's visual c runtime (msvc) isn't installing correctly - we just run the installer that Microsoft provide so I'm not sure why that would fail. Can you send me the errors.txt file from my documents/w3d hub/launcher so we can see what the Microsoft installer reported as an error (if anything)

Ah I see, thanks for the quick and informative feedback :)

I'll look on my Visual C thingie on my PC. See if there's corrupted installation and maybe getting a latest updated version of it or sort could fix it.

As for the errors.txt this is what I've found from: C:\Users\[My Username]\Documents\W3D Hub\Launcher *(posted with this reply)

errors.log

7 hours ago, Kavan said:

Hi everyone, I have this Installation Failed problem whenever W3D Launcher has finished downloading the files and  then installation always fails when installing "msvc-2013.zip".

It won't go anywhere beyond that point.

*Here's what I've tried to fix the problem but to no avail:

- I have cleared the APB cache, deleting everything in "C:\ProgramData\W3D Hub\Launcher\package-cache\games\apb"

- Re-downloading all Red Alert APB files through the launcher, no download  problems.

- Download finished smoothly but installation fails every time  when installing the "msvc-2013.zip"

- I've repeated the steps above for 4 (four) times and still stuck on failing to install the "msvc-2013.zip"

Hope anyone knows a workaround for this problem.

Kindly thank you for your time and attention lads, best regards :)

It would appear that someone did their homework before posting the question. Kudos to you sir :v Maybe we can get this worked out for you!

If you don't see Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) or (x64) in your Programs & Features list, you can try installing these packages separately:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Once you install them, try installing APB again. The installer might then skip msvc-2013.zip altogether.

Other than that, your log shows Exit Code 5 at the end, which means "Access denied". Have you run the launcher as an administrator and then tried installing?

20 hours ago, Einstein said:

It would appear that someone did their homework before posting the question. Kudos to you sir :v Maybe we can get this worked out for you!

Why thank you kind sir, altho it's just a little search work and that sometimes I didn't do it at all lol :biggrin:.

Would look forward for a fix as for now my only means to get the RA: APB running is:

1. Copying the "apb-release" folder from "G:\Program Files (x86)\W3D Hub\games" which contains the installed game from my 2nd computer that installs and able to play it without issue.

2. Paste the copied apb-release folder in same directory but on my PC that has the problem.

3. The game now runs and playable by launching it from the game.exe inside the copied folder. However not possible from the launcher, as it  identifies that the game is not yet installed *(I've uploaded a photo showing it).

4. Well...game runs and playable and I will say won't complain much about it (Top notch work lads, keep up! :)).

5. However one thing that bugs me is that I didn't touch the video settings as I read in game notification that changing some settings from within the game could give undesirable impact on the gameplay..something with LOD, etc. It says that to only fiddle with the graphic settings from the W3D Launcher before running the game, which is...unable to be done since the option button is not even clicabkle for me. :biggrin:

Other than that I can say my problem is solved (big partially of it lol). Hopefully my issue could be overlooked to avoid any other user from having same issue like me.

Kindly thank you for the support, Best regards and cheers!

RA APB Error 1.jpg

The launcher uses the registry to detect installed games. Copy the following text to notepad and make edits for your installation directory, and then save the file as a .reg. Then double click the .reg file to add it to your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\W3D Hub\games\apb-release]
"InstalledVersion"="3.1.5.0"
"InstallDir"="D:\\W3D Hub\\games\\apb-release"
"InstallPath"="D:\\W3D Hub\\games\\apb-release\\game.exe"

1) Replace the version number in InstalledVersion with your game's version, if it hasn't been fully updated before you copied it over.

2) Change InstallDir to the folder where your game.exe is located

3) Do the same with InstallPath

After adding this in, the launcher will recognize the game as installed.

21 hours ago, Jeod said:

If you don't see Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) or (x64) in your Programs & Features list, you can try installing these packages separately:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Once you install them, try installing APB again. The installer might then skip msvc-2013.zip altogether.

Other than that, your log shows Exit Code 5 at the end, which means "Access denied". Have you run the launcher as an administrator and then tried installing?

Hi there, I've checked my Programs & Features list and I found both (x86) and (x64) version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable.

I had recently tried downloading the installation files from your given link. There are 3 files: "vcredist_arm.exe", "vcredist_x64.exe", and "vcredist_x86.exe"

*Here are what happens as I try to fix my Visual C++ 2013:

1. The vcredist_arm.exe file is unable to be opened / run as it gives a message that it is not a correct 32-bit application(?)

2. The "vcredist_x86.exe"  which I believe is the 32-bit version of Visual C++ 2013 is unable to be installed as it appears to partially installs but stopped as  "Access Denied" message pops up.

3. The last file "vcredist_x86.exe" which I believe the 64-bit version runs fine. I'm able to choose whether to repair or uninstall. However I've tried repair, then uninstall and fresh reinstallation but the W3D Launcher installation of RA: APB fails on the same spot every time. The "msvc-2013.zip" part.

4. Oh and yes I've set W3D Launcher to be run as Admin, also looking into firewall and antivirus to give it permission just in case.

I also post my Program & Features panel in hope for better information provided to the team.

Visual C 2013.jpg

Edit: If you opt for the registry route, it's probably best for future updates to make your game's path the same as the launcher would install it. By default, this is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\W3D Hub\games\apb-release\

I suggest moving your game around to meet the default path.

1 minute ago, Kavan said:

Hi there, I've checked my Programs & Features list and I found both (x86) and (x64) version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable.

I had recently tried downloading the installation files from your given link. There are 3 files: "vcredist_arm.exe", "vcredist_x64.exe", and "vcredist_x86.exe"

*Here are what happens as I try to fix my Visual C++ 2013:

1. The vcredist_arm.exe file is unable to be opened / run as it gives a message that it is not a correct 32-bit application(?)

2. The "vcredist_x86.exe"  which I believe is the 32-bit version of Visual C++ 2013 is unable to be installed as it appears to partially installs but stopped as  "Access Denied" message pops up.

3. The last file "vcredist_x86.exe" which I believe the 64-bit version runs fine. I'm able to choose whether to repair or uninstall. However I've tried repair, then uninstall and fresh reinstallation but the W3D Launcher installation of RA: APB fails on the same spot every time. The "msvc-2013.zip" part.

4. Oh and yes I've set W3D Launcher to be run as Admin, also looking into firewall and antivirus to give it permission just in case.

I also post my Program & Features panel in hope for better information provided to the team.

Visual C 2013.jpg

If the game runs smoothly and error-free with the registry fix, fantastic! But if you get any crashes in-game, come back in and make a post and we'll turn to this side of things. C++ 2013 wouldn't be installed correctly, which would be the culprit.

10 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Edit: If you opt for the registry route, it's probably best for future updates to make your game's path the same as the launcher would install it. By default, this is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\W3D Hub\games\apb-release\

I suggest moving your game around to meet the default path.

14 minutes ago, Jeod said:

The launcher uses the registry to detect installed games. Copy the following text to notepad and make edits for your installation directory, and then save the file as a .reg. Then double click the .reg file to add it to your registry.

1) Replace the version number in InstalledVersion with your game's version, if it hasn't been fully updated before you copied it over.

2) Change InstallDir to the folder where your game.exe is located

3) Do the same with InstallPath

After adding this in, the launcher will recognize the game as installed.

Ah I see, thanks for the feedback Jeod! I am now copying the registry code to notepad and will save it as .reg file.

Quick question tho:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  <<< Should this be copied as well? or just starting from: [HKEY_LOCAL_so on]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\W3D Hub\games\apb-release]
"InstalledVersion"="3.1.5.0"
"InstallDir"="D:\\W3D Hub\\games\\apb-release"
"InstallPath"="D:\\W3D Hub\\games\\apb-release\\game.exe"

6 minutes ago, Jeod said:

That's the header of the .reg file. It should be coped. You don't need to worry about the version number for that line unless you're still on Windows NT or older for some reason.

Noted hahah, and......

PROBLEM 100% SOLVED! Case-Closed. :)

Thanks for the given time and help regarding my issue. Tried the game and play for some mins, no problem all smooth. So yeah, 10/10 for the help lads:biggrin:

RA APB Error solved.jpg

Umm hello again everyone, I feel to re-open this thread as I have a similar issue (again) but with different file this time. :toot:

My previous problem was about installation failed every time W3D Launcher tries to install  "msvc-2013.zip", well it got solved nicely as I try the given feedback here.

However now it becomes  installation failed when installing "msvc-2017.zip"  :allears:

I tried the previous steps but to no resolve for this issue. I think....this might be caused by me running an old OS; Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit. I hope anyone know a workaround about this (again) XD

Cheers~

@Pushwall took msvc-2017.zip off of the launcher manifest, so try updating/installing again and see if it works for you.

@danpaul88 can probably confirm if msvc-2017 requires Windows 7 and up. If it does, then it'll be an internal decision on whether to continue support for Vista. We post announcements for big changes like that, so you'll know about it sooner or later if Vista support becomes discontinued.