[INTEREST] March Mayhem Mafia - Choose a flavor

Jeod

[INTEREST] March Mayhem Mafia - Choose a flavor  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a mafia flavor

• Traditional "Choose Your Own Role" (Anything goes)
    • Themed "Choose Your Own Role" (Specific universe/genre)
    • Card Game Style - Open Deck (Details in thread)
    • Card Game Style - Closed Deck (Details in thread)

I've got an idea for a different style of mafia game, but I don't know if there's enough interest to host it yet. It seems like a lot of you are itching for a CYOR next, but I had a lot of fun imagining this while writing it up. So, here are the options for my March Mayhem Mafia:

1. Traditional CYOR - Any role, any character, any universe

2. Themed CYOR - Only roles and characters from a specific universe (e.g. Disney or Dreamworks)

3. Card Game Style "Mafia Roulette" (Details below -- I will count Poll Options 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 together and choose the higher of the two for specific setup)

Spoiler

While not exactly Choose Your Own Role, this sort of game relies on a deck of cards shared by all players. The cards in the game deck are chosen by the players before the game starts, and are shuffled. The game deck can be open (all players know all existing cards) or closed (players only know cards they designed). In addition, players will be assigned “static” roles.

STATIC ROLES

Each player is assigned a “static” role at the start of the game. Think of it as a game piece in a game of Clue or Monopoly. There is nothing special about it except that each static role has a single ability that could enhance a particular type of card or grant a special power to the player at night.

Example: OrangeP47 is given the “Paramedic” static role. In addition to playing a card in the night phase, he can also use his static ability to shield himself or another player from one card’s effects that night.

GAME DECK

The game deck is composed of X cards (5*players). Players will be asked to design five cards for the deck (If a player does not wish to design five cards, the host will add cards). At the start of the game, the game deck is shuffled and each player is dealt two cards.

DAY PHASE

Day phase is traditional. Players will discuss the events of the previous day/night, point fingers, and vote for a player to be lynched. In the event of a tie, players will be given numbers and RNG will be used. When a player is lynched, the cards they currently held will be revealed and shuffled back into the game deck. Some cards may be used during the day!

NIGHT PHASE

Players can do two things at night: use their static ability and play a card from their hand. Their actions may be to further progress toward their win condition.

DRAW PHASE

This is a transition phase. Players cannot do anything during this phase—it exists simply because the host needs time to resolve actions and deal cards. All players will draw cards from the deck during this phase until all players have two cards in their hand. The order of draw is decided via RNG each night phase, and may or may not be altered depending on cards players used.

POSSIBILITIES WITH CARDS

Static mafia abilities will always have a nightkill available, but what if mafia have a tracker card on one night or a bulletproof card during a day phase? What if the town cop drew a gun card? The full extent of your roles changes each night!

51 minutes ago, Jeod said:

I will count Poll Options 3 and 4 together and choose the higher of the two for open/closed decks)

Maybe you could do the same for 1 and 2? They are about as similar as open vs closed deck, no?

cards.thumb.png.7859000b35c9a838d3ff84f299425f0c.png

Proof of concept for Mafia Roulette: possible cards

There are obviously plenty of mafia roles that can be used as cards, and one can always have duplicates in a game deck, so if you're not feeling creative or think it would be too much effort, you don't have to submit your own card designs.

I think the card game mafia is rather interesting, but I think I'd prefer to do a CYOR first as a "break" like KY said. Though it wouldn't matter that much to me if we ended up doing the Card Game instead. But, Jeod, I recommend splitting up a few cards in manipulative, like Mirror, adding a few more cards, and creating a new Card Type under Trap, that way I can say...

my_trap_card.jpg

8 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

I think the card game mafia is rather interesting, but I think I'd prefer to do a CYOR first as a "break" like KY said. Though it wouldn't matter that much to me if we ended up doing the Card Game instead. But, Jeod, I recommend splitting up a few cards in manipulative, like Mirror, adding a few more cards, and creating a new Card Type under Trap, that way I can say...

my_trap_card.jpg

Well, seeing as it's experimental at this point it wouldn't be much more complicated than CYOR in terms of a "break". I suppose I could add a Trigger type of card, but again you can make your own five too! ;p

Have to be careful though. We wouldn't want to end up playing Mafia: The Children's Card Game on motorcycles would we?