Renegade turns 16 today!

OWA

LdDJ5GO.png

Renegade turns 16 years old today! This game has shaped all of our lives in some way and is the reason why W3D Hub exists as a community today! This odd little game released and captured the hearts of many C&C fans with it's unique multiplayer mode back in 2002 (and during the beta before that).

The fact that the game was so flexible from a modding standpoint has pretty much brought us to where we are now. Here's a nice article about Greg Hjelstrom developing the modding tools for Renegade, most of which we still use today: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2002/02/01/cc-renegade-designer-diary-pt-7

Consequently Renegade X, the UDK re-imagining of C&C Renegade also turns 4 years old today! Big congrats to the team over at https://renegade-x.com for all of their hard work! :) 

I think Renegade X developer (and C&C Reborn alumni) FobbyGen said it best on the Renegade X Facebook page earlier today, so here's a slice of what he wrote. Check out the full post here: https://www.facebook.com/CNCRenX/posts/10156246743512431

C&C Renegade was the "failed game" with the not-so-special singleplayer campaign that was completely overshadowed by titles like Medal of Honour, Halo, and Battlefield 1942. But Renegade had a unique multiplayer formula that most reviewers seemed to have ignored. Perhaps C&C Renegade was no good for 56k players, or for players connecting to servers from different continents. Hosting online games was too difficult, unless you wanted a 4 player server on your computer, and the game was virtually unsupported just a few months after release. Renegade 2 was dropped, and by 2005, EA gave the community control over the server browser and the forums.

Despite the poor sales, the sub-par graphics, the mediocre singleplayer, the slow internet speeds, and the lack of support, players recognised that Renegade possessed a hidden gem. C&C mode was enough to feed a thriving community for years, and beget many custom maps, skin and model packs, an anti-cheat system, custom community patches, serverside mods, more ambitious mods, total conversions, and even indie games.

I think that it's astonishing that even today Renegade continues to get a somewhat small but steady stream of players that keep the game alive for anyone wishing to return to it. Renegade Forums may be very quiet these days, but that hasn't stopped communities like W3D Hub from flourishing and building our own fan-bases.

Keep your eyes peeled in the next few days for some more exciting announcements about some of the stuff we've got planned for this year!

[thumb]custom_thumb_ren.png[/thumb][blurb]Happy 16th birthday to Command and Conquer Renegade! Also a happy 4th birthday to Renegade X![/blurb]

Already? Damn. I remember getting this when it came out and I had to go to a local internet cafe to install it, but for some reason I couldn't connect online. So I struggled for a bit to create a server for myself to explore the maps (because some setting needed to be changed so you could play with 1 player). Then my mum and dad finally purchased a computer and I played this and Tiberian Sun online on dial-up.

12 hours ago, FRAYDO said:

I'll never forget constantly playing Multiplayer Practice because we didn't have Internet for online gaming.

Same thing, brother. And I've tried everything back then to make bots cooperate with me, but all I could do is follow and support them, they didn't care really.

Today, I'm programming dem bots :)

I remember watching my brother trying to get them to cooperate.

Player: Get in the vehicle!
Player: Get in the vehicle!
Player: Get out of the vehicle!

I also remember trying to email a bug report to someone(?), because the bots weren't there in the other maps if you added them to the rotation.

As poor as those bots were, they were something, which is more than many modern games.