Reddit Exposure

Hey everyone,

I noticed that it's been over a year since the last time someone posted on Reddit. Crazy considering how big the platform is and could bring in a lot of new players by just talking about the game, sharing pictures, and so forth. I decided to make two quick topics on r/gaming and r/commandandconquer. It would be extremely helpful to go upvote and comment on these and get them noticed. Please take some time to do this and get some new faces on the servers!

Edited by Coolrock

I'll be posting on the various chans in a few days. If anyone has any suggestions of places where we could advertise our great free game to people that'd be swell. It'd be cool if you could link this trailer in: even if its kinda old

I also sent a email to addictinggames to see if they'd consider putting the launcher under "shooters"
Tell your friends, tell your family! Lets get W3DHub out there! People could do way worse for a quality free to play shooter with no micro-transactions or advertising!

I always link the extended trailer as well. I'm not sure why the shorter version is prominently used by 'official posts'.

My only issue with the trailer footage is the naval battles, particularly the water 'wake' effects, they look so horribly out of place - and still do within the game today. I guess it's been a low priority issue to solve (it is related to particle effects not taking on level lighting correctly).

I'd also have loved some Yak footage tossed in to replace a few generic clips... Maybe @OWA can do an updated trailer with some updated segments? (probably best done after the particle issue is solved).

Edited by Raap

This is the one to link everywhere:

@RaapThe shorter trailer is used more because it's generally better-edited and the tight 2 minutes of action prevents people's attention spans from wandering.

A new trailer for APB is very low on my priority list right now.

5 minutes ago, OWA said:

This is the one to link everywhere:

@RaapThe shorter trailer is used more because it's generally better-edited and the tight 2 minutes of action prevents people's attention spans from wandering.

A new trailer for APB is very low on my priority list right now.

Shorter attention span users are the type of users you reel in with shiny graphics. You do not want those people as W3DHub projects cannot focus on purely graphics, so you need to hook them via gameplay. The original extended trailer did so quite well, just minus a few very specific clips.

And yeah, a new trailer shouldn't even be on YOUR list given that you got other things to worry about. But I'm sure someone with the software licences could take your raw trailer data and replace a few of the really rough clips! :)

Edit: I'm NOT saying the shorter trailer is bad by the way, to be clear. My personal preference is simply for more footage (as long as it isn't a long drawn out video going past 5+ minutes).

Edited by Raap

At this point, just drawing awareness would be key. I agree the trailers could use updating, but I doubt that’s going to make or break someone from trying the game out. 

Also posted in r/games

Start talking about the game, guys!

Edited by Coolrock

I think r/games should probably be left given the toxicity there.

A letter from a lawyer, haha what a guy. 

Edit: Looks like he deleted his post. He basically called it a unity asset flip and suggested EA would be shutting it down. Quite a statement to make considering zero assets were flipped to create it, unity isn't used, and EA legally agreed to allow stand-alone releases a decade ago as long as it remained non-profit.

Edited by Raap

Anyhow, I agree with your sentiment, notable updates on both the engine front (to appeal to potential developers), as well as the games, should be broadcast a little more. A few simple link cross-posts is really all that is required.

I do not really think the graphics are that bad for APB (in most cases), and I've first hand demonstrated the engine itself can handle quite a bit of pure model and texture detail work. I imagine if we had better lighting, most graphical criticism will go away since at that point W3D games could pass for stylized graphics - which, at least in my personal usage, is the case.

I think that we could reach more people if we got this game in the hands of some influencers/YouTube personalities. Some of those guys get a mad amount of views which could contribute to the overall playerbase. :)

I shared this on a few Discord communities(which have a fair amount of people who are C&C fans as well) I am part of, so hopefully that'll bring in some more players. I would agree on a updated trailer since these ones do contain a few old assets. The Mammoths in particular and water do particularly stand out, that might turn off a few people.

I appreciate it, and agree. Of course, I know it’s hard when only a few people are still working on the game. This is a good place to start, and then we can build on it. Have to work as a team ?

Edited by Coolrock

4 minutes ago, JigglyJie said:

I shared this on a few Discord communities(which have a fair amount of people who are C&C fans as well) I am part of, so hopefully that'll bring in some more players. I would agree on a updated trailer since these ones do contain a few old assets. The Mammoths in particular and water do particularly stand out, that might turn off a few people.

Speaking of water, APB uses like 20 different standards for creating this. Every map does it differently and it has a lot to do with the project being old and a lot of hands having worked on the environments over the years.

Creating good water is hard. I think the water on Hostile Waters (island shores) is probably the best I've personally been able to get it, but the problem with it is that it is VERY time consuming to create as every wave is a manually placed mesh aligned with the terrain, and the caustics effect could be better as well (unfortunately grid mapping is a no-go for large resolutions).

Still, the bright, near-neon colored water seen in some of the older clips is quite dated indeed!

Edited by Raap

3 hours ago, OWA said:

I think that we could reach more people if we got this game in the hands of some influencers/YouTube personalities.

I know Aprime is working for Linus Media Group/LinusTechTips these days; There is slight potential to be had there since it's a computer hardware channel...

PS. Aprime if you are reading this have someone make a product B-Roll that includes some crappy gameplay on the next monitor/AIO review :v

Your Reddit post in r/gaming was removed due to:

6.8 No Direct Links to Old Content - Any content that was created more than 1 year ago cannot be directly linked as a submission. This includes reviews, analysis, previews, trailers, etc. If you would like to use old content as context for a discussion, you may link to it inside a self-post as part of the framing for the discussion topic (so long as you also provide a full topic of discussion rather than just linking to the content). This rule only applies to submissions and not to comments.

Pretty bizarre rule to have but coincidentally a topic we discussed in this very thread.

Which is unfortunate because it was the most productive discussion Reddit post of the three you created.

Edit: It might be worth asking their moderation team for a free pass given this is a free project, however, by then the topic won't be front-page any longer. So perhaps it's too much hassle for what it is worth.

Edited by Raap

• 2 weeks later...