Introducing the W3D Hub Modder's Alliance!

OWA

Hi everyone! Earlier this year we mentioned that we wanted to make some sort of Global Freelancers Initiative to empower members of the community who would like to make content for the games, but don't necessarily want to be part of the staff team.

This has mutated slightly to become the W3D Hub Modder's Alliance; a new group that will be comprised of active members that make maps and mods for W3D Hub games!

So what's the deal?

So what does a member of the Modding Alliance get? Well, Modders get a special usergroup which grants them exclusive access to all test builds on the launcher, a special forum section to discuss the engine and a special Discord channel to chat in.

This halfway house between being a regular member and a staff member is great so that we can have a place to collectively help each other out and work on exciting stuff for the community, but it also allows us to train people who are interested about producing content for the engine.

How do I become a member of the Modder's Alliance?When we're looking for people to join this new group, we're looking for a number of qualities. We won't be formally accepting applications as such, but we will be paying close attention to what people are doing and making so that we can make the best informed decisions.

Ultimately though, these are the basic qualities that we are looking for:

• Members who are interested and passionate in developing content for the W3D Engine.
  • Members who have submitted several mods to the downloads database or have made maps for the games that are considered to be of a good standard of quality or beyond.
  • Trustworthy members who conduct themselves well on the forum, in Discord and in-game as well as being respected by their peers.

If you fulfil some of these qualities, it is very likely that we will approach you to join the Alliance. :)

Is that everything?Well not quite! I'm pleased to announce that our first Modders that have been invited to join the Alliance are Raap, Timeaua, Threve, Zephyrus and Kicken! Congratulations guys!

Aside from that, if you have any burning questions or suggestions about any of this, please feel free to PM me (@OWA) about it. Cheers!

[blurb]Read all about our brand new initiative that aims to provide support for community contributors; the W3D Hub Modders Alliance![/blurb]

[thumb]thumb_w3d.0.png[/thumb]

will there be a separate testing group for this alliance or for short I would call it the wham anyway will it be the normal testing group or just let the devs test it? And by the way I think this relieves a lot of stress on map makers and or devs on the devs side of the community of w3d hub and its games so they can focus on patches and maybe even map changes or adding things to infantry like a new sniper rifle or scope and ect. But how will this play out I don't know 

9 hours ago, thedisclaimitory said:

will there be a separate testing group for this alliance (...)

I've had mixed results when it comes to testing both privately and publicly. In both cases for Siege and HW I had trouble gaining a lot of feedback, despite setting it up through the proper channels as @Einstein could verify.

The public HW test was tricky to set up and required several hands on deck to make live server downloading for it a reality (I do so love that feature though!). The whole testing event was announced in advance for a weekend and had a small screenshot contest with a small cash reward going along with it as an incentive, and the winner ended up being part of the map loading screen (the image of the Advanced Naval Yard being under attack).

But, ultimately, the amount if feedback was very limited despite all that effort. So most likely when it comes to MY content, testing will mostly be done by me and select individuals whom I'll ask in advance if they have time to do a targeted "QA run-through" of specific elements. A good example of this approach is me having the Dread Plateau screen effects tested for graphical display anomalies on different hardware other than my own configuration.

11 hours ago, thedisclaimitory said:

will there be a separate testing group for this alliance or for short I would call it the wham anyway will it be the normal testing group or just let the devs test it?

Nope. The regular testing team will continue to serve all groups.