[GAME OVER] PokeMafia Generation I

Jeod

I was thinking another idea might be to either randomize or balance pokemon selection. We should still get to choose at least some of the pokemon because that's part of the fun, but maybe have like half chosen and half random. Or maybe divide up the pokemon into categories and you can only pick 1 or 2 from each category so it doesn't give special incentive to pick pokemon that start out really strong.

3 minutes ago, Sunflower said:

I was thinking another idea might be to either randomize or balance pokemon selection. We should still get to choose at least some of the pokemon because that's part of the fun, but maybe have like half chosen and half random. Or maybe divide up the pokemon into categories and you can only pick 1 or 2 from each category so it doesn't give special incentive to pick pokemon that start out really strong.

To be fair, that's what I did and you saw what I ended up with.

Only thing I ended up replacing was a Seel for a Magikarp.

Edited by Shade939

I have some ideas for that, and will likely do something on that front.  Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of certain pokemon only being available as "prizes" for certain actions.  Kind of themed like the game corner, but not actually the game corner.

3 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

To be fair, that's what I did and you saw what I ended up with.

Then why are you complaining so much? You clearly understand it was your own fault that you ended up weaker than your opponents.

I was thinking of maybe a slot machine option either a general one or in tiers. As Seismic Toss, I don't agree. There are plenty of buff and debuff items that can alter damage. You just have to figure out how to set up your moves first. For example, Alakazam was able to hit 54 DMG against me after using Psychic. With a crit he was able to hit 90 DMG. Seismic Toss, Dragon's Rage, and Night Shade all deal direct damage and in turn can't crit or gain any STAB bonuses.

If you ever want to increase your dmg, it's actually more beneficial to decrease your opponent's defense (special or standard) than it is to increase your own attack. Using something like Leer would almost double the physical dmg you deal while something like Sword dance only increases your dmg by a bit less than 50%.

The thing is, no one ever used any actual moves to do this, everyone relied on items to affect stats until the last match. I do think maybe we should add PP into the game to avoid people spamming the same moves over and over, but that might complicate things too much.

20 minutes ago, TheIrishman said:

I was thinking of maybe a slot machine option either a general one or in tiers. As Seismic Toss, I don't agree. There are plenty of buff and debuff items that can alter damage. You just have to figure out how to set up your moves first. For example, Alakazam was able to hit 54 DMG against me after using Psychic. With a crit he was able to hit 90 DMG. Seismic Toss, Dragon's Rage, and Night Shade all deal direct damage and in turn can't crit or gain any STAB bonuses.

If you ever want to increase your dmg, it's actually more beneficial to decrease your opponent's defense (special or standard) than it is to increase your own attack. Using something like Leer would almost double the physical dmg you deal while something like Sword dance only increases your dmg by a bit less than 50%.

The thing is, no one ever used any actual moves to do this, everyone relied on items to affect stats until the last match. I do think maybe we should add PP into the game to avoid people spamming the same moves over and over, but that might complicate things too much.

It's also a question of how long the battle is going to last in terms of if using stat boosting items or moves is worth it or not. At a minimum, you need two successful attacks after using Leer to come out ahead, which is also offset if your opponent stuns you or prevents you from attacking, or you yourself have some other move you want to use that isn't an attack.

If you're only buffing your own damage output by 50% instead of 100%, then it's even worse since you need three successful attacks to come out ahead.

Edited by Shade939

2 minutes ago, TheIrishman said:

True, but in doubles it's especially effective, and if you add in all these potions, it really does matter. Just look back to when it was Sunflower and me vs you and Orange. Lasted 18 turns. And again, those items took up a turn as well (at least the ones used before you died).

Well, that was my plan on how to deal with your Gyarados after Gastly fainted.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

I'd forgotten about it, but I do intend to heavily consider adding PP for next time.

I don't think it's worth it, unless you plan on carrying it over across multiple nights to limit how many times we can use a move over the whole game...

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

I don't think it's worth it, unless you plan on carrying it over across multiple nights to limit how many times we can use a move over the whole game...

Yeah, it would carry across battles, and it would work with a system of rest/poke centers.  Details on that are very sparse at the moment, but it's something I plan to work on.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, it would carry across battles, and it would work with a system of rest/poke centers.  Details on that are very sparse at the moment, but it's something I plan to work on.

The main downside is when someone gets down to their last Pokemon they might not have any way to defend themselves because they've ran out of useful moves though.

Which simply means you can actually overwhelm players with superior numbers then. :v

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

The main downside is when someone gets down to their last Pokemon they might not have any way to defend themselves because they've ran out of useful moves though.

Which simply means you can actually overwhelm players with superior numbers then. :v

Downside you say? :p

33 minutes ago, TheIrishman said:

I'll be honest though, I don't remember exactly how PP works, but if we were going to implement it, considering we can't swap Pokemon, maybe half the normal PP cost or something like that. 

Well the normal cost is 1, and it would be silly to count by halves :p

Don't worry, I know I'm putting a lot out there as new features, but I'm not going to implement these things without a lot of thought and testing first.

Adding in PP would definitely change the balance back so that the more powerful moves don't have to be nerfed in accuracy just to make them fair, like I noticed Blizzard was. I do think keeping track of PP would be too much of a hassle, though.

I'll tell you one thing I'd do if I was hosting a PokeMafia. 6 Moves.

Because as fun as Pokemon can be, I get really irritated at the 4 move limit and how that really limits the tactical approaches that are usable.

Another thing I'd do is make it so that it is possible that there are as many simultaneous battles as there are pairs of players. I'd set it up so that any player can challenge another player. If that player accepts, they will fight. If another pair decide to fight, they will too. If a player is challenged but the challenge is not accepted, if a majority vote for that fight to happen, it will happen anyway. This would allow the game to move quicker, and it would also allow all 6 Pokemon to be used before a trainer is eliminated instead of having them eliminated while half their roster is still in play.

I like the thought a lot, but it also means a lot of resolving. It wouldn't be so bad if we had a basic program built for it, but to manually edit each value accordingly would put a lot of strain on the GM. We'd need at least 2 GMs to have a decent resolving rate considering that GMs aren't always free for those challenges either.

I didn't add PP in this game because I didn't develop a system to recover it, and also because I didn't want players to be limited in their moves when faced with certain Pokemon. Since it was the first attempt at this sort of game, having a player go "damn, should've saved that ice beam pp" was a no-no.

8 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

I like the thought a lot, but it also means a lot of resolving. It wouldn't be so bad if we had a basic program built for it, but to manually edit each value accordingly would put a lot of strain on the GM. We'd need at least 2 GMs to have a decent resolving rate considering that GMs aren't always free for those challenges either.

I could build that, but it isn't worth the effort at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Yeah, I'm just saying that's what I would do. And you guys know I do crazy shit when I GM things.

Actually I don't think I've been in any games you've GMed... hmmm.... (Though quite possible I've forgotten who the GMs for a few things have been).

19 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Actually I don't think I've been in any games you've GMed... hmmm.... (Though quite possible I've forgotten who the GMs for a few things have been).

I'm certain you weren't in Steins;Gate. You'd have stood out a lot more in that game.