W3D Hub Rank Change Suggestion

Threve

Good Evening all. A long time ago I came across a website concerned with C&C and there were actual pictures of the Rank that you were given (I wish I remembered the name). Now I know you guys certainly don't have enough on your plate with ECW, APB, and Reborn.... But it got me to thinking and I honestly loved the way it looked. I fixed some pictures with possible image rankings for you all to see and get a feel for.

Ideas for implementation.

- The pictures are just to show a general picture or what it would look like. The size of the icons and units can be adjusted according to how you guys see fit.

- You can go two different paths for ranking. Allied or Soviet Units. You are also able to change your picture (More appropriately icon) to past ranks. So if you really like the Engi you can change it even though your rank is a Medium Tank.

- If you don't want the rank image on your profile you can switch it to have the current theme or layout.

- When you rank to max level with the max level of posts you unlock the option of Tanya, Volkov, Phase Tank or Demo etc.

- Admins are able to access a special rank of missile silo if they desire.

- Only Staff or Mods can have access to Flame Towers/Tesla Coil Defenses

- If concerned with Shitposting/Spam you could possibly have the rank image tied into your Rep. which encourages better posting and discourages posting just to raise your rank. 

- Uploading texture, sound or map files could grant some extra rank somehow. Possibly encouraging more files or download base and customization for the games.

- Could have it possibly tied to a system where if you donate to the site/server you unlock special icons such as Demo, M.I.G., Forklift, M.A.D. Tank, Spy or a Pink Mobile Radar Jammer or maybe the icons have animations. This encourages donations, gives way to new ideas, and still keeps people who don’t donate relevant with normal units (medium tank, Rifle Inf, light tank, engi) so they don’t get screwed. I would gladly donate $10 to get a M.A.D. Tank for my icon just because.

- I don’t know the system of this forum and how flexible it is or if this can even be done but its a start.

- Possibly later if the idea is favorable then you could have Tiberian Sun Icons for the Tiberian Forums and RA 2 Icons for Apoc Rising etc.

I understand its a little nitpicky but I think it looks great. I would love to help any way I could if the idea goes through as there are more important matters atm but let me know what you think. 

Finish 1.jpg

Finish 2.jpg

Finish 3.jpg

Finish Threve.jpg

FINSIHESA.jpg

Edited by Threve
Donation Idea and Rep idea

I like it. I remember a forum I visited many years ago that showed either U.S. Army or Marine ranks if you selected the U.S. and Soviet ranks if you selected the Soviets. It looks pretty cool and was displayed under your avatar. Something like that here would be awesome.

3 hours ago, ganein14 said:

I think this would be an interesting addition to the forum. Though I think we shouldn't have to pay for some icons.

Agreed. I just thought if we were suffering for donations then it would be an interesting idea instead of charging for the game or something imbalanced/retarded. But if we are good financially then I don't see why we should pay for some icons as well. I don't know the limitations of the forum but I also think you should have the choice of having it remain how it is or going with an icon if you desire it. This would make it so it wasn't forced and everyone would agree on it.

Apologies for tagging the big dogs but I do not know who is concerned with the layout of this website or the deciding factor on it. Opinions and discussion are also very welcome.

So I've been thinking about this for a while now and whilst we can probably do ranks, deciding what those ranks should be would be tricky; since you can't have different ranks for different forums because that's not how IPB works. It must be global,

I've been thinking of a drop down box in the profile settings that will allow you to choose a unit as your favourite and show it off to everyone. That way we can have units from all of the games without leaning a bias towards any game in particular. CNCNZ does something similar by letting you pick your favourite C&c game and displaying it on your profile, so something similar here would be pretty fun to have.

We do have a lot of other stuff on our plate right now though. :p 

26 minutes ago, OWA said:

So I've been thinking about this for a while now and whilst we can probably do ranks, deciding what those ranks should be would be tricky; since you can't have different ranks for different forums because that's not how IPB works. It must be global.

I've been thinking of a drop down box in the profile settings that will allow you to choose a unit as your favourite and show it off to everyone. That way we can have units from all of the games without leaning a bias towards any game in particular. 

We do have a lot of other stuff on our plate right now though. :p 

Fair enough. In terms of ranks, I was thinking the same how it is now honestly with maybe some added to the mix. You post enough times and you are a Engi or a Medium tank. 

The favorite unit idea sounds great as well and I am a fan of it, at the same time having a unit of your rank on the forums does kind of give it more meaning and APB being the main game on here if the units were that then it would make more sense. If it comes down to it and is to much work then I would suggest just going with RA units.

I was thinking the ranking system would work easily like

Technician>Rifle Soldier>Grenider>Rocket Soldier>Flamer>Ranger>Light Tank>Medium Tank>Heavy Tank>Shockie>Tesla Tank>Mammy and so on.

If you guys need any help with implementation just let me know what I can do to help! I'd love to see the idea come to life and dont mind putting in some work to help.

1 hour ago, OWA said:

I've been thinking of a drop down box in the profile settings that will allow you to choose a unit as your favourite and show it off to everyone. That way we can have units from all of the games without leaning a bias towards any game in particular. CNCNZ does something similar by letting you pick your favourite C&c game and displaying it on your profile, so something similar here would be pretty fun to have.

I actually miss the Allie/Soviet logo next to peoples names.