Stuck in cube-shaped tutorial room

Expack3

I recently logged onto the ECW main server, and found I was unable to move from a cube-shaped room containing what appeared to be tutorial instructions. I attempted to press every key on the keyboard I could think of, then random keys, before finally figuring there was something I was missing. I tried repairing the game, which did re-download the "extras" folder, but beyond that, the installation seemed fine.

I want to get out of this room and actually play the game; how do I do so?

Game4000 Screenshot 2018.08.18 - 15.58.40.46.png

If it helps, before I had this issue, the game was reporting DirectX errors (see attached log for example), no matter the resolution or graphics settings, accompanied by the infamous black screen. Figuring the game's D3D8.dll file was a wrapper (whether this is true or not, I've no idea) replaced it with, first D3D8to9, then the latest beta version of dgVoodoo2 (which, despite the name, wraps D3D1-8.1). No matter which wrapper I used, it resulted in the issue I reported originally.

d3derr.log

@Jerad2142I've tried that several times already, which failed to resolve the issue, when I try and do a full re-install, the game installs from a local cache on my computer, and I can't locate where the W3D Hub Launcher is keeping said cache. If I could find it, I could attempt a proper, full re-install.

@Einstein That did the trick.

@Jerad2142 A full re-install did the trick. Now I'm getting a blue sky (judging how it's a gradient color) and sound, but nothing else. Repairing just has me re-downloading "extras.zip" over and over again. The game is also still reporting D3D errors like the ones I attached previously.

Interesting....

Have you had any issues with other programs acting strangely on your PC? You might try running a disk check and maybe a memory test and see if anything turns up. These issues sound to me like corrupted files, which a disk or memory error could definitely cause.

52 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Interesting....

Have you had any issues with other programs acting strangely on your PC? You might try running a disk check and maybe a memory test and see if anything turns up. These issues sound to me like corrupted files, which a disk or memory error could definitely cause.

This is the only program I've had act strange. Even Red Alert: A Path Beyond runs fine (though, as I understand, it uses a later version of the Renegade scripts than ECW does). The computer I'm using is a brand-new laptop, so I highly doubt it's that. However, unless ECW uses D3D9, I suspect it may have something to do with it using D3D8. Here's my computer specs for reference:

• Dedicated GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Max-Q)
  • Integrated GPU: Intel UHD 630
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
  • Memory: 16 GB
  • Primary hard drvie: 256 GB SSD
  • Secondary hard drive: 1 TB HDD
  • Audio: Realtek HD Integrated Audio

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Has your antivirus gotten involved behind the scenes maybe? Its happened before.

I only use Windows Defender, which is usually quite good about proclaiming when it blocks or auto-removes files. Still, I checked its logs and found nothing.