w3dhub launcher for Apex

shaitan

Why did you guys allow Interim Apex to be a part of the w3dhub launcher? It is not a stand alone mod, it is Renegade. You can join the server right from your Renegade client. The only thing you've done is give it publicity, and jacked Rencorner and MPF's playerbases in less than a day by using this launcher. People go where it has more players, that server sat empty for 2 years.

The only fairness I see is allowing Renegade overall to be apart of that, as this launcher is just installing Renegade split up...twice.

Wally, you were on my irc servers for years and I left you alone. How about you keep it that way? I did not come here to fight with you.

I have a legitimate complaint here, and so do the MPF guys.

Edited by shaitan

1 minute ago, shaitan said:

Wally, you were on my irc servers for years and I left you alone. How about you keep it that way?

I have a legitimate complaint here, and so do the MPF guys.

You left me alone!?   I thought you were just playing hard to get. 

Wally, I have helped your guys out on IRC over the years you've been there. I just helped your bots out the other day, spending an hour and a half pinning down the 'why' of them getting zlined(and made new Opers just for them).

I'd like to get this issue resolved here.

3 minutes ago, shaitan said:

Wally, I have helped your guys out on IRC over the years you've been there. I just helped your bots out the other day, spending an hour and a half pinning down the 'why' of them getting zlined(and made new Opers just for them).

I'd like to get this issue resolved here.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, shaitan said:

Why did you guys allow Interim Apex to be a part of the w3dhub launcher? It is not a stand alone mod, it is Renegade. You can join the server right from your Renegade client. The only thing you've done is give it publicity, and jacked Rencorner and MPF's playerbases in less than a day by using this launcher. People go where it has more players, that server sat empty for 2 years.

The only fairness I see is allowing Renegade overall to be apart of that, as this launcher is just installing Renegade split up...twice.

Hey shaitan. The IA team has previously told me that the version of IA on our launcher is standalone, so it's not a straight-up build of Renegade. That being said, the team has also made it so that players can connect using a stock Renegade client with RenList if they choose to do so.

We have only given it publicity through our own site and social media channels so far. As for jacking the playerbases, well IA is heavily modified compared to stock Renegade, so the gameplay experience is somewhat different.

We have been working on full Renegade support for the launcher, but unfortunately that isn't quite ready yet. Our intention is to list all Renegade servers (including RenCorner and MPF) on it once support has been completed in order to provide the definitive way to play Renegade online.

@shaitan Hello! I've heard your name for years but I don't believe we've ever spoken. Nice to meet you. And thanks for the IRC help, etc.

And Wally is just bantering as he said :v He does that.

I'm not going to issue an "official" answer to this question or anything, but I did want to try to get something clarified really quick.

1 hour ago, shaitan said:

this launcher is just installing Renegade split up...twice.

What do you mean exactly here? Whats getting installed twice? Thanks.

I honestly can’t believe there’s drama still around with the community as small as it is these days. 

Are the guys in charge of the game not allowed to do as they please?

This can easily be handled in PMs if need be, and I don’t see why this needed to be made public besides trying to cause drama that isn’t needed. 

I had hoped for some sort of peaceful resolution here, because that server is getting the best of both worlds. I don't mind losing players to MPF(for example), because it's fair...this is anything but.

They can do this, Renegade cannot? Myself and MPF have come to an agreement: if something does not get done we will ban him from the gamespy to even the playing field and I will be talking to Xwis too.

That is exactly what will happen if he stays on both Renegade listings and W3Dhub. You guys may have forgotten, but #w3dhub channel shows who's actually joined through it.

9 minutes ago, shaitan said:

I had hoped for some sort of peaceful resolution here, because that server is getting the best of both worlds. I don't mind losing players to MPF(for example), because it's fair...this is anything but.

They can do this, Renegade cannot? Myself and MPF have come to an agreement: if something does not get done we will ban him from the gamespy to even the playing field and I will be talking to Xwis too.

That is exactly what will happen if he stays on both Renegade listings and W3Dhub. You guys may have forgotten, but #w3dhub channel shows who's actually joined through it.

So here’s how I’m reading this... do what we say do or we’re banning you. That seems really fair.

Pretty much. If you can't see how screwed up it is then, yes.

So let me get this straight. You claim to come over peaceful but have already decided that if we don’t remove it you’ll just remove it anyway. Seem more like a strong arm tactic than a peaceful decision. 

You are not getting it: you sat empty for ages because you guys didn't try to get it started up. Those of us left in Renegade-land did the time, as in we sat there and sat there for hours, to populate our servers. You literally went from 0 to all of our players overnight after this launcher thing.

You can say whatever you want, this was after dblaney and my convo.

Edited by shaitan

You are not getting it: you sat empty for ages because you guys didn't try to get it started up. Those of us left in Renegade-land did the time, as in we sat there and sat there for hours, to populate our servers. You literally went from 0 to all of our players overnight after this launcher thing.

So you’d rather take something away from the players rather than help grow the Ren community? 

Just now, shaitan said:

That is not growing the renegade community. W3d launcher does not show Renegade servers but his.

So then what seems to be the issues? They’re not in competition with Renegade. They are their own mod. Is W3D Hub not aloud to promote our own games ? And what’s stopping MPF from making their own launcher ? 

For the record (minor detail, clarification point here): The W3D-Hub launcher does not list renegade servers because we don't currently support renegade or have any stock servers. Also, beings as the game is not released as freeware by EA, we can not distribute a full installable copy of stock renegade. And even if we did so, we would likely only list our own stock ren server(s), as renlist is a different tool performing a different job, aimed at a different crowd.

You need to wait a second for it to finish querying the server. 9 out of 15 of the current players are using the launcher btw. So your telling me that the entire ren community is 6 players?

How many regular Renegade servers do you see here? https://imgur.com/dBAkGaO

How many of those players are from Renegade? This is why I said look at your channels to see who's joined through w3d launcher. If it is not a "Renegade server", how does he have all of the Renegade players, please explain this.

The current setup of IA is unique in that it uses ttfs (as it always has I believe), but we also distribute it via the launcher. Its simply another way to download it and join. Normal renegade clients that connect will be prompted to download the missing files as always, while launcher users will already have them. Thats it.