I like the axing of the Missile Sub "pods", they always looked extremely weird even by Red Alert standards.

Taking some artistic liberties with units is always fine in my opinion, when the outcome makes more sense.

As for the botes, kinda makes me wish we had new water based vehicle physics.

Edit: I presume the renders will function as purchase icons? Would be nice to have those for all recently updated vehicle units.

Edited by Raap

6 minutes ago, Raap said:

Edit: I presume the renders will function as purchase icons? Would be nice to have those for all recently updated vehicle units.

That might be an interesting option, but they would have to be framed differently since the purchase icons are square and ideally have some sort of common style.

37 minutes ago, Raap said:

I like the axing of the Missile Sub "pods", they always looked extremely weird even by Red Alert standards.

Taking some artistic liberties with units is always fine in my opinion, when the outcome makes more sense.

This is just a reworking of the Missile Sub to catch it up in detail to the Allied ships. The pods will be back :v

I believe someone is looking into new water, but don’t quote me on that!

Renders would be a nice way to make the Purchase Icons look way better. Will have to address the team on that one!

2 hours ago, Coolrock said:

This is just a reworking of the Missile Sub to catch it up in detail to the Allied ships. The pods will be back :v

I believe someone is looking into new water, but don’t quote me on that!

Renders would be a nice way to make the Purchase Icons look way better. Will have to address the team on that one!

Ah, well then I hope the pods are re-designed to make sense. Where do the missiles originate from in the current pods? The piece holding the pods isn't big enough to have a missile transport system in place. 

I think it would be infinitely more neat to have the missiles fire UP and OUT of the submarine deck, like they do in the real world.

3 hours ago, Dghelneshi said:

That might be an interesting option, but they would have to be framed differently since the purchase icons are square and ideally have some sort of common style.

I think the PT's could do with an update regardless but that's just my 2c. I'm mainly just very against the idea of baked texts. My belief is that all texts should be in a localisation file. It's one of the main issues I currently have with a lot of the non-Dan scripts in 5.x; They use text as a raw parameter input instead of referring to a string ID, this makes localisation impossible without altering the game client/levels.

With text removed from the purchase images, you are left with more space for the image.

13 minutes ago, Raap said:

Ah, well then I hope the pods are re-designed to make sense. Where do the missiles originate from in the current pods? The piece holding the pods isn't big enough to have a missile transport system in place. 

I think it would be infinitely more neat to have the missiles fire UP and OUT of the submarine deck, like they do in the real world.

Well, that's already going to be a thing. :v I have a pretty bad habit of dropping spoilers in Discord and forgetting to do so here as well. The plan is that they'll fire the "ballistic missiles" that RA1 claims they have from the deck, for shore bombardment and sniping slower ships (gunboats can easily avoid them), while their secondary fire lets them fire their usual smaller surface-to-air missiles from the side pods. Though if the side pods end up not being a thing I guess the AAs can be launched from the deck too.

1 hour ago, VERTi60 said:

All we need now is fresh new and balanced naval map! 

And someone else to make it!

I'm not going to say that I'll never do an APB map again, but my track record hasn't been good for APB Delta. I can deliver a level, it can even be a good looking one, but I am not in sync with the current player base and the meta that it has embraced. 

I'm also kind of waiting before starting a new full-blown level project again. They are time consuming, and I'm on hold until some W3D tech advancements are implemented before looking into it again. Hopefully, soon.

Edit: If you truly need a naval map, and @Pushwall hasn't finished HW 5.0 yet, as a short term option he can opt to re-include the current HW but with the iceberg objectives disabled. It won't have an airfield though, which I guess makes this a hard sale.

Edited by Raap

6 minutes ago, Raap said:

Edit: If you truly need a naval map, and @Pushwall hasn't finished HW 5.0 yet, as a short term option he can opt to re-include the current HW but with the iceberg objectives disabled. It won't have an airfield though, which I guess makes this a hard sale.

Yeah HW 5.0 (with Soviet airfield) is finished as far as gameplay goes and will be in next release; it's still frozen as far as aesthetics go until the public determines that it's playable.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, Raap said:

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, Raap. I just hadn't gotten around to modelling the Missile pods yet. I personally don't think the pods themselves are too weird. I mean here's a Naval missile launcher in real life:

Mk-29-missile-launcher-034.jpg

The stem on that is tiny, and I assume would have to be manually reloaded by personnel.

We could toy with the idea that the Missile Sub could only reload it's Missile pods if surfaced perhaps, I'll mention it to the guys.

That is a Sea Sparrow, you are correct they are manually reloaded but not by hand, they have a gantry for that. The middle of the weapon system has a little crane they use that attaches to the tubes.

RIM-162-ESSM-021.jpg

Mk-29-missile-launcher-011.jpg

I really like the new models, they look really nice. Excited to try them out!