[GAME OVER] CYOR IV

Jeod

title.thumb.png.762245d875b298a6e6ad70a5ef227a90.png

INTRO

Back due to popular demand! This game will start on Monday, November 12, at approximately 10PM GMT/UTC, which is the usual game start/hammer time. Game start date and time are subject to change based on signed player count and role PMs received.

For those of you who are new to Choose Your Own Role style mafia games, here’s a short explanation: at its core, CYOR is a standard mafia game. Town attempts to eliminate all hostile elements (mafia and third party). Mafia attempts to eliminate players and outnumber the other factions. The third party has specific win conditions based on their role, and the neutral faction is similar; neutral faction players, however, are not considered hostile.

If you sign up for this game, you will send me a PM with your role request. Please add Sunflower to your PM request as well. You can customize your role as much as you see fit, and I will do my best to honor your request. Here’s an example of a role request:

Spoiler

Character name: Riot Trooper

Role: Vigilante/Roleblocker OR Vigilante/Bodyguard

Bio:

Where there is chaos, there are also Riot Troopers. Standard training of the police officers was sometimes not enough to handle certain situations, esspecialy during war times. Thats why goverments decided to arm their troops fighting in urban areas with more frag grenades and shotguns, focusing their training on how to fight in towns and cities. After Years before the enemy attacked once more, specially trained soldiers with heavy flak jackets, riot shields, riotguns and flash grenades designed to flush out hostiles from the buildings and streets, were prepared to join the battle if another conflict arises.

Abilities:

1. Vigilante/Bodyguard

- Protect (Night action) - Riot Trooper can use his shield to protect selected target. If target is protected from any killing actions, shield breaks and cannot be used anymore.

- Riot Shield (Passive) - Shield protects Riot Trooper from any kind of killing actions. After defending himself, shield breaks and RT becomes vulnerable to hostile killing actions.

- Shoot (Day action) - Classic shoot option. Would 25% stuck/ 75% hit work? One time use.

2. Vigilante/Roleblocker

- Flashbang (Night action) - Throws a Flashbang at the direction of selected target, which prevents him from making any actions during this night.

- Riot Shield (Passive) - Shield protects Riot Trooper from any kind of killing actions. After defending himself, shield breaks and RT becomes vulnerable to hostile killing actions.

- Shoot (Day Action) - similar to above.

The more information you include in your request, the more accurate your final role will be. Here’s a template to help guide your request, although it’s not necessary to use when sending me your PM:

Spoiler

Character Name:

Bio:

Day Action(s):

Night Action(s):

Alignment:

Item:

Description:
Action(s) (i.e. ##Use, ##Pass):

Effect (i.e. On ##Use, or On ##Pass):

You can request a specific alignment, but I can’t guarantee it will be the alignment you receive. Also, if you weren’t present for CYOR III, I’ll mention it again: please do not request overpowered roles! Keep game balance in mind. It’s much easier on the GM—and yourself—if you keep your role realistic for a mafia game.

RETURNING FEATURES

CYOR III brought back the items mechanic from CYOR I and, in my opinion, it was a large success. Items made for a fantastic dynamic that continued into other mafia games hosted by other GMs because of the added risk/reward factor. For example, the Death Note, an item capable of making extra kills for mafia, could end up in a town player's hands and then be used against scum. The reverse is also true. Items will be making a comeback for CYOR IV as well.

As with roles, if you choose to request an item in the game, please try to keep it realistic and relatively balanced. Requests for “magic potions that instantly discover mafia” will not be honored! Remember, requesting an item is optional!

Depending on the roles chosen, you may see a variant of the synergy mechanic from TheIrishMan's CYOR Supernatural Edition.

SUGGESTED CHANGES

If you have a suggestion for a game-wide mechanic that might add some pizazz to the game, then please share!

CO-MODERATOR

Unfortunately my work schedule for my current position and upcoming position (Nov. 19) goes into hammer times. Therefore, @Sunflower will be assisting me with running this game. It's her first time seeing things from the Host perspective, so please be nice!

Signed Players – 8 Minimum - CLOSE ON NOVEMBER 10

OrangeP47

iLiketoSnipe

Nodlied

TheIrishMan

Chopbam

Shade939

Killing_You

Category 5 Hurricane

FRAYDO

Previous CYOR Data

CYOR I

CYOR II

CYOR III

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Sign me up.  Also be wary of time change the day before possibly confusing some people.

Uhm, DST ends this weekend, not the day before game start. But yes, keep in mind that in the States, clocks fall back one hour.

I'll add a blip about it on the first day post, but the change only applies to hammertimes for the Americas. 10:00PM GMT is currently 6:00PM EDT, but is 5:00PM EST. I will get with Sunflower to see which hammertime we need to adjust (to 5PM EST or 11PM GMT).

POSSIBLE FEATURE

Item inheritance - If a player is killed, the player that performed the killing action will receive all items the target had. If a player is lynched, a random player who voted for the lynchee will inherit all items the lynchee had.

Thoughts on this possible addition?

2 minutes ago, Jeod said:

POSSIBLE FEATURE

Item inheritance - If a player is killed, the player that performed the killing action will receive all items the target had. If a player is lynched, a random player who voted for the lynchee will inherit all items the lynchee had.

Thoughts on this possible addition?

No, it'll lead to players being killed for their items, and they'll naturally end up in the hands of only a couple of players by the games end leading to massive power creep.

1 hour ago, Shade939 said:

No, it'll lead to players being killed for their items, and they'll naturally end up in the hands of only a couple of players by the games end leading to massive power creep.

Shade's a minmaxer, listen to him.

The main problem really only results if they can use the actions of the items they pick up, if they grab the item but they can't use it's actions and instead have a mechanic in place that let's them convert the item into something else, then that would get around the issue. But that'd be a better mechanic to limit to a single player and build their role around it.

Before I said 3 items max, but another workaround would be limiting the actions per night. Say the player can only use one item per night and if there's some sort of protection item, like a bulletproof vest, the player would have to equip it to use it (your choice if they have to equip it every night or just one). You could also have some items as limited use, depending on how powerful they are.

If there are items that can be used during the day as well, you could limit it to one item use per 2 phases or per cycle (Day 1/Night 1).

Or, you could introduce a vault system where all items go upon a player's death, similar to the ones previously introduced. We could nominate a player to enter it and then they could either choose what they want or get one randomly selected for them like a lottery.

3 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

Or, you could introduce a vault system where all items go upon a player's death, similar to the ones previously introduced. We could nominate a player to enter it and then they could either choose what they want or get one randomly selected for them like a lottery.

I like this strategy. My goal was to keep items in the game throughout, so a vault seems like the best option.

5 hours ago, Jeod said:

I like this strategy. My goal was to keep items in the game throughout, so a vault seems like the best option.

Are you also going to weaken every item in game to represent the fact that there is no way to remove that item from the game?

For example, with the vault system Nodlied was using you're character suffered a penalty for using the stronger items that made you vulnerable to being voted up to be investigated and suffering a penalty because of that?

1 hour ago, Shade939 said:

Are you also going to weaken every item in game to represent the fact that there is no way to remove that item from the game?

For example, with the vault system Nodlied was using you're character suffered a penalty for using the stronger items that made you vulnerable to being voted up to be investigated and suffering a penalty because of that?

Not something I'll answer since it could provide too much information for game mechanics.

24 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Not something I'll answer since it could provide too much information for game mechanics.

I'm aware, but allowing item abilities to persist past owner death is a fairly large buff to how effective those items are when compared to player abilities, and there needs to be suitable countermeasures in place in terms of what Scum can do in order to counteract it.

You can pretty easily have an item that reveals a players alignment, which would effectively puts an unkillable cop in the game then.

Edited by Shade939

you're assuming that'd be item specific. The items would generally be something like tracker, gun, or cloak (ascetic). Cop -/ an item would probably be too strong as an item without limitations like you can only use it once every other night. But just trust in Jeod to balance it properly.

3 minutes ago, TheIrishman said:

you're assuming that'd be item specific. The items would generally be something like tracker, gun, or cloak (ascetic). Cop -/ an item would probably be too strong as an item without limitations like you can only use it once every other night. But just trust in Jeod to balance it properly.

In which case, you're already limiting what item abilities are in game.

And you still have the entire issue of lynching/killing a player just to steal their items so they can't use it and you can grab it for yourself. So, make certain you don't have any good items unless you want to be targeted for them...

I thought of another interesting mechanic, but it could make things a unnecessarily complicated so feel free to ignore it. Items breaking and items being repaired.

Depending on the item, on a player's death their item could break, or perhaps after its limited uses are used up, it'd break. Then you could allow every player to have the option to ##repair (either with their own efforts or running off to a shop at night to get someone to repair it). Or you could limit repairing to one or two players as an action targeted on a player.

Of course, this probably wouldn't work too well if the only way to get items from other players is the vault since you'd have to spend two nights just to get an item working, probably foregoing any other actions while you're at it. But depending on how powerful the item is, it could still be worth it, especially if grabbing items from the vault and repairing could be done in addition to standard night actions.

There are plenty of items in the current scenario so far thanks to requests, so a break/repair mechanic won't be in--it'd create too many unnecessary actions. However, as a result of so many items, you should all know that role abilities will be pretty weak. I'm liking the way things are taking shape though, it means that all players no matter their character and abilities or lack thereof have an opportunity to shine for their team.