[Game Over] RA:APB-themed Mafia Game VII (B0tes Edition!)

VERTi60

On 12/3/2018 at 3:36 AM, TheIrishman said:

I forgot to mention, cat5's harddrive compleyely crapped out on him. He won't be getting a new computer until January, so he won't be participating in any games until then.

While my four-year-old hard drive did fail, I do have several spares around, including a ten-year-old drive that my current ten-year-old machine came with and was still in the machine as a backup. I just needed to take the computer to somewhere that could get my Windows install moved to that drive. And that is now done.

I am planning to order a new computer near the end of this month, but this computer will still do the job in the meantime.

12 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

While my four-year-old hard drive did fail, I do have several spares around, including a ten-year-old drive that my current ten-year-old machine came with and was still in the machine as a backup. I just needed to take the computer to somewhere that could get my Windows install moved to that drive. And that is now done.

I am planning to order a new computer near the end of this month, but this computer will still do the job in the meantime.

Sounds like me.  I have every hard drive I've ever had still working, way back to my 2006 build, and currently have a whopping 3.5 TB of drive space installed (with some extra drives not installed).  If one ever starts to seem like it's going to bite the dust, stuff can quickly be transferred to a spare.

R3GsB2f.png

:soviet: Night 0 - Naval Map/Battleship Actions Tutorial

Before we start the hunt for Red October Allied Navy scum dogs, I'll try to explain how the Battleship mechanic in the Mafia will work so you are all up to speed before the actual start of the game. You can also use this time - Night 0 to explore your roles and decide where you would like to be on the Naval Map (you can pick 3 coordinates from A1-P16 and you will be assigned one randomly, or the one which is actual free).

Your roles will be assigned to you shortly within an hour.

:soviet: Naval Battlemap

I've drafted the basic Naval Map which will be used in game and some examples already displayed:

OWnlLtx.png

As you can see, the map has 16x16 tiles, divided into 4 quadrants. We'll get to the quadrant mechanic later. For now notice the Legend on the left.

Empty water tile will be displayed once there is a "No Hit", meaning if someone shoots an empty water tile during the day (misses during Night won't show on map). Same goes for "Ground" tile, but obviously you won't find any naval units on ground. In the first quadrant (A1:H8) you can see that one tile was actually "Hit", but you don't know what unit got hit. You will only learn what was actually sunk, meaning all units that were "Killed" will be displayed fully, including their orientation.

Notice the different units we have on the bottom, and their actual sizes. The size determines how many shots it takes to actually kill a unit (note that this doesn't count for Lynch or Night Kill which kill the whole unit). For example, the Soviet Attack Submarine is equal in size with the Allied Gunboat (and it would take 2 shots to kill them), while the Soviet Missile Submarine is equal in size with the Allied Destroyer (3 shots to kill each). Use ##SHOOT [coordinates] action during each day if you have a naval unit that is able to shoot.

Each of these Naval units can be placed on the map either vertically or horizontally. The only rule is that they can't be placed next to each other, or too close to ground. Notice the destroyed Missile Sub in 4th quadrant. Once the naval unit is destroyed it will be marked by surrounding water tiles.

Buildings are on the Map as well - notice that we have two Soviet ones: The Soviet Sub Pen is 2x2 tiles large, and the Soviet Airfield is located on an island, measuring 2x4. The exact location of the airfield will be changed, but it's on the map as an example just to give you an idea how it will look. The shape and position of the island will be most likely a bit different.

:soviet: Naval Units and their Actions

Each Naval unit has different size and different purpose. They all have 1 thing in common though: they can shoot once during the day. This is where the quadrant mechanic is introduced.

Each time you use ##SHOOT [coordinates] action, your quadrant position will be revealed. Each time you shoot again, the area of your position will be revealed again on a smaller scale, which means that every time the area where the player is shooting from will be narrowed by 1 row and 1 column each time until exact position is revealed. If you know your math you can guess how many shoot actions it takes to pinpoint that player's position.

ss.gif

Soviet Attack Submarine is a 1x2 long unit capable of only attacking other naval units, provided it's surfaced (you can submerge during the next Night to gain bulletproof against Day attacks). Note that if it's attacked during the day while submerged, the "No Hit" will be shown on the map. This means that any empty water tile can actually hide a Soviet Attack Submarine. However, once the submarine surfaces, it can be detected if this tile was already explored or shot before (example is in quadrant 2, coordinates O3).

pt.gif

Allied Gunboat is also 1x2 long unit, but it's capable of attacking ground units as well, meaning buildings like airfield.

msub.gifdd.gif

Soviet Missile Submarine and Allied Destroyer (1x3) are capable of attacking ground and even air units.

u2.gifafld.gifcarr.gif

Soviet Spy Plane - Naval Version, is not able to attack any unit in game. However, it will provide you new information each Day - revealing coordinates and surrounding tiles on the Naval Map. Soviet Spy plane can also Detect a unit but it can never reveal alignment and/or type, you will only learn that once the unit is sunk or destroyed. Soviet Spy plane can only be destroyed or detected by either anti air attack or if the Soviet Airfield is destroyed. Allies might have similar mechanic with the Allied Helicarrier (pending space on map).

spen.gif

Soviet Sub Pen is a building placed on 2x2 water tiles, which means it can be attacked by any other naval ship/sub. It's primary goal is to shelter other subs for one Night (provided they are not submerged) and rearm Missile Submarines so that they can use their Night Action again.

There is also a room for a Mystery unit, hence, you can expect anything. Watch out for anomalies or strange things that will give you a clue what it is.

:soviet: Lynch, Player Elimination

mig.gif

Lynching is done by a Mig Airstrike. Any unit, be it ground, air or naval, can be lynched in this game. Use ##Vote [Playername] during the Day to vote for your lynch candidate. As usual, the player with the most votes will be lynched by the end of the day. If a majority of players vote for one player, that player will be hammered (but the day can still go on to continue with ##SHOOTing actions). If there is a tie, a dice roll (or more likely my RNG() function) will decide who the lucky guy is.

A player that is eliminated (either by Lynch, Night Kill or ##Shooting their last unit tile during the Day) will be displayed on the Naval Map, and their role identity and alignment will be revealed.

Note that lynch, just like the Soviet Spy Plane , is tied to Soviet AirfieldIf Soviet Airfield is destroyed then lynch will no longer be available during Days!

:soviet: Followup

More rules will be displayed during Day 1 post, which will follow up in 23 47 (b/c of update) hours from this post. During this time, please make sure to read the tutorial until you understand it, await your Role PM and send me back the 3 coordinates on Naval Map that you wish to place your unit on. If you have any questions regarding the game mechanics, ask in the thread, if it's related to your role, send me a PM.  If you've read until here, thank you for patience.

Please note that I might change few things or introduce new mechanics during the course of the game if I see that something is not working. Naval Map is an experimental mechanic and I haven't tested it fully yet.

1 hour ago, Jeod said:

Probably still time to fit in @Retaliation and/or @Sunflower

Off by 1 (week) error unfortunately. Next week is the last week of classes, then finals week. Should be pretty clear after that for me.

Also at some point my the internet started to behave well with W3Dhub so that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Just now, Retaliation said:

Off by 1 (week) error unfortunately. Next week is the last week of classes, then finals week. Should be pretty clear after that for me.

You'll be just in time for Pokemafia 2, where you can complete your dream of becoming a Psyduck.

13 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

You'll be just in time for Pokemafia 2, where you can complete your dream of becoming a Psyduck.

You still need to send me your list of things you want added to the calculator by the way.

Considering how the focus should be on the shoot action a bit more, I’m assuming that any form of guaranteed damage shouldn’t be an instant kill so the main way of eliminating players would be the shoot action instead, with things like the NK and Lynch being used to automatically locate a player and deal some damage to them instead of being the primary way to kill a player.

Edited by Shade939

Note to players who are sending me coordinates:

1. try to place your unit within one quadrant (so the all the unit tiles are placed within 1 of the 4 quadrants).
  2. if you like, specify how you would like to place  your unit (horizontally or vertically).

23 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Considering how the focus should be on the shoot action a bit more, I’m assuming that any form of guaranteed damage shouldn’t be an instant kill so the main way of eliminating players would be the shoot action instead, with things like the NK and Lynch being used to automatically locate a player and deal some damage to them instead of being the primary way to kill a player.

Lynch is a guaranteed kill no matter how many unit tiles the player has.

Night Kill works in similar fashion but I can't disclose all the details regarding it.

Note that lynch, just like the Soviet Spy Plane , is tied to Soviet AirfieldIf Soviet Airfield is destroyed then lynch will no longer be available during Days!

Hey guys, I'm still missing some coordinates. Pick 3 coordinates and vertical/horizontal position (try different quadrants but all unit tiles should be in one). If you want a random position just lemme know anyway in a PM.

@Jeod

@JackoDerp

@Killing_You

@Nodlied

@TheIrishman

@Voe