Shallow Grave  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Remake?

2. 2. "Hypothetical" alternative to Shallow Grave?

2 hours ago, Pushwall said:

Another idea that came up on discord, that I've considered in the past, was "Volcano but with the map boundaries turned into water".

Image11.png

Here's an example of that which is just lazily taking the original map, deleting a bunch of the terrain and making the outermost edges all dip to the same elevation. A real version would be a bit classier than this. So we get our first full combined arms map - infantry, tanks, helis, planes and naval - and isn't particularly big, so in addition to travel time not being a concern it could even be suited for low player counts.

+1

All day yesterday, "The Woods Today" remake was beating Shallow Grave's "yes" vote, but today, Shallow Grave's "yes" is winning. "The Woods Today" could very well still be more popular though, because I didn't pit the two maps directly against each other. One's vote was whether to do a remake at all, and the other is a multiple choice "which of these other maps would you [also] like to see?"

18 minutes ago, ChopBam said:

All day yesterday, "The Woods Today" remake was beating Shallow Grave's "yes" vote, but today, Shallow Grave's "yes" is winning. "The Woods Today" could very well still be more popular though, because I didn't pit the two maps directly against each other. One's vote was whether to do a remake at all, and the other is a multiple choice "which of these other maps would you [also] like to see?"

I voted for literally everything :p

I think The apb map should have a lot of content in the map, because, one it would not feel so bland, two I think we should get mountains why because I dont like maps that feel bald or bland,  three we could have a tunnel system, and also have a big river system for the naval units, because I hear some were that some one wanted naval units, four maybe we could add a cap-able tech center that allows to make a new unit, in the war factory, bar or naval/ sub pen:  But it would be randomized on witch building the new unit would be in, five you could add an under ground missile silo that can fire at any place of the map except for the bases; so lets say theres a huge rush happening with say the soviets, there bringing mammoths tanks, so in order to downsize that number the Allies will use the capped missile silo and if they time it right they will kill maybe half or the entire rush. This is obviously biased but if you can do this whoohoo if not well then onto more pressing matter then: but this is my opinion on what I think should be added to apb to make it a map more a long the lines of maybe objectives or things to cap and yes all tech levels, mountains to snipe people and maybe tunnels or somthing, but what about the Allies getting jets now this came around my mined when migs were coming around and I was like okay how is the allies gonna balance out with the mig in terms of air combat because this is scary to me, all the allies have is an apache and it is not very, maneuverable to say the least, oh wait maybe there is hope you could add flares to the apaches to counter a missile lock, now this would be VERRY useful. and I want to keep the bases in the same place to make the map seem bigger but I like the town idea just add some tunnels and mountains and other things make it feel like its not bland or bald because I would not want it to seem so boring, like some maps. Now if the village or town was big, it would be cool, because imagine a soviet or allied rush, going through the town, and you having to fight the rush, you could use the buildings, and the cover around you, to destroy some-tanks ,and it slows the enemy down, as they have to go through a town fighting you and a couple of other people. this would also be cool as you could have ai in the town and who ever controls the town controls the ai so they could defend the town from rushes and other things somthing like partisans, if you dont know what I'm talking about go to the church in stormy valley blow the door off with a C4 or rocket launcher and see what happens. as of the bunkers map I really dont want to see it, as it just feels boring to me: it would interest me if it was totally redone or somthing because the only map I like, that has a hill or mountain in the middle is the map hour glass; now this I would love to see remade and brought back to apb because it has content, its fun, it had all tech levels in the gamma version, and it had tunnels, caverns, waterfalls, ect.   

Edited by thedisclaimitory
had to re-punctuate the sentence

18 hours ago, ganein14 said:

Please for the love of everyone's sanity, at least learn how to use periods.

And please break any large posts into smaller paragraphs and lists so the information is easier to process. Walls of text look overwhelming and could easily turn people off reading it at all. 

Instead of this:

19 hours ago, thedisclaimitory said:

I think The apb map should have a lot of content in the map because one it would not feel so bland two I think we should get mountains why because I dont like maps that feel bald or bland  three we could have a tunnel system we could make also have a big river system for the naval units because I hear some were that some one wanted naval units Five maybe we could add a cap-able tech center that allows...

Try this:

19 hours ago, thedisclaimitory said:

I think The APB map should have a lot of content in the map because:

1.) It would not feel so bland.

2.) I think we should get mountains. Why? Because I don't like maps that feel bald or bland.

3.) We could have a tunnel system.

4.) We could make also have a big river system for the naval units because I hear some were that some one wanted naval units.

5.) Maybe we could add a cap-able tech center that allows...

Looks a lot better and is much easier for everyone to read. Just some friendly advice for future posts :)

7 minutes ago, Ice said:

And please break any large posts into smaller paragraphs and lists so the information is easier to process. Walls of text look overwhelming and could easily turn people off reading it at all. 

Instead of this:

Try this:

Looks a lot better and is much easier for everyone to read. Just some friendly advice for future posts :)

The times that we agree on things are rare, but I fully support you on this post. +1 from me. :v

5 hours ago, Ice said:

Instead of this:

Try this:

thank you but part of the reason I dint punctuate was the fact that there was a last minute emergency so I had to leave my home, how ever, I will edit the post when I can

I like the Idea of attempting to put Shallow Grave back into the game. It was my favorite map back in the beta (mainly because it was literally the only naval map in the game).

I wouldn't mind putting a different spin on it to make it..... Not as...... You know..... Like instead raising the bases up on a small "hill" or maybe putting them in craters. Just a few ideas to spice up the map instead of it being literally 2 teams fighting over a sandy doughnut.

I also wouldn't mind having Hindcano and TheWallywoodToday being remade, as they were pretty fun (and memeish) maps at the time as well.

Again I cant really "expect" anything, and if I had the time & ability to create maps I'd definitely do so however this is just my opinion on the whole matter of remaking maps...

22 hours ago, des1206 said:

Can we ever have a version of Lunar with normal units, but Allies having Soviet War Factory and vice versa?

Actually that might not be a horrible idea. You guys remember "Paradox Equation"? Pretty fun mission... Minus doing the first half of the mission with just infantry because #NeverenoughOre.

We (as in the mapping/modding community, not myself because I have no talent whatsoever other than complaining ) could kind of make a very heavily modified map (on or off the moon) in which the Allies have fireball hinds, soviets get bomb yaks, tesla light tanks, gunboat heavy tanks, etc.

Voted No although at this point it probably doesn't matter. As I mentioned on the Discord server, what makes me feel turned off from the idea of a remade ShallowGrave was that it was too plain, too easy to deny the ore fields (Soviet side in particular due to AT mines) and the fact that attacking felt like a chore due to the distance. Naturally this wouldn't be so much of a problem with Delta's standards, so it's not a strong no, it's just that map left a sour taste.  Plus I once got banned for shooting at subs with a LAW underwater :v

I would also feel that it might be good idea to include aerial units, namely because I would personally prefer to have another map that includes more options as opposed to the current disparity we have right now (or at least it feels like there isn't enough full naval/aerial maps to begin with)

Hmm, anyone want to see Ivory Wastelands remade?

I personally did like it, and whilst also it did suffer the problem of being bland with nothing special added onto (aside from a random crate in the centre), the biggest issue was its size. It was so large that it was almost impossible to defend, and especially disarming flares, unless of course you got a lucky spawn. The map was pretty much built on RNG and it was due to that it moreorless decided whether your base lived or not. Granted it could also be a candidate for a full aerial map, though it would still need a significant resize and a shakeup as buildings were pretty much everywhere.

That being said, as an alternative I would enjoy a CamosCrossing remake (ideally with the same setup but with a few tweaks), Partium (not sure why it got canned), an ant mission co-op or indeed a new city map.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:34 PM, Pushwall said:

Another idea that came up on discord, that I've considered in the past, was "Volcano but with the map boundaries turned into water".

Image11.png

Here's an example of that which is just lazily taking the original map, deleting a bunch of the terrain and making the outermost edges all dip to the same elevation. A real version would be a bit classier than this. So we get our first full combined arms map - infantry, tanks, helis, planes and naval - and isn't particularly big, so in addition to travel time not being a concern it could even be suited for low player counts.

100% down for this.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, Pushwall said:

Image11.png

This would be awesome! I really liked playing on the Volcano map. Good times with Light Tanks being up to scale up those steep hills. :)

The redesign for Shallow does seem interesting, but I think I'm really jaded from how boring the gameplay on the previous version was.

TheWoodsToday would be fantastic, if slightly redesigned and Deltaised. APB would need so much work to get it to fit into a working map, but would be cool to see return. However, I do feel that the biggest map variant that the game is missing, is city maps, above all else.

25 minutes ago, ChopBam said:

Lord, anything but this. 🤣

But..... Glacier was one of  my favorite maps....

I'll give you something to say "Lord, anything but this" over...

Hourglass.

With helicopters.

and high tech units.

and a GAP generator.

Edited by MPRA2

1 hour ago, MPRA2 said:

But..... Glacier was one of  my favorite maps....

I'll give you something to say "Lord, anything but this" over...

Hourglass.

With helicopters.

and high tech units.

and a GAP generator.

Don't forget the mech spam and sneaky tanyas...

Since this seems like enough of a general maps suggestions thread, would it be possible to do an air raid map? As the amount of planes available to players on the maps they are present is fairly limited, a map where they are the focus could be interesting. Allies try to defend like in Seamist.

Edited by KevinLancaster

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:09 PM, KevinLancaster said:

Since this seems like enough of a general maps suggestions thread, would it be possible to do an air raid map? As the amount of planes available to players on the maps they are present is fairly limited, a map where they are the focus could be interesting. Allies try to defend like in Seamist.

Almost any map is possible here in APB. There has been a lot of crazy shit I've seen happen in maps here in the past couple of years. But creating a new map (especially an air map) is a huge development due to the fact it takes

- Creating the actual map

- Planning/Blue Print

- A committee agreeing it's a good idea

- Testing/Balance

- Making sure it is aesthetically pleasing

- A lot of time spent which is diversion from other projects/maps

- With the introduction of Interim Apex, APB player count is not as high as before therefor creating anything new for it has not been as top of a priority/some support has been lost.

With this said and in an honest answer from seeing how things go here I would highly recommend you draw up some blueprints if you want the map to have a chance of coming to fruition. If you start to develop said map/learn how and start a thread then people will definitely help you see it to completion and you'll get support for it to be put into game.