[Game Over - Town Victory] Pokemafia 2

OrangeP47

Hello and welcome to Pokemafia 2!  This thread is a work in progress, so check back occasionally to see updates to the rules.  That said, the rules will be fully posted and explained before the game actually starts, with changes made only if it can't be helped during the actual playing.

First off, what's new in Pokemafia 2?

1)  Actual Characters

That's right, this game we will not be generic trainers, but you'll actually get to be someone from the world of Pokemon!  With that, it means...

2)  Character abilities!

Every player will have something unique about them to spice up the game! Not just a select few like last time.

3) Johto pokemon!

That's right, we're in Johto now, that means you can use pokemon from the first 251!

4) Gen 2 mechanics

Gen 2 fixes a lot of the inherent bugs and imbalances found in gen 1!

5)  Held items

It's a mechanic from gen 2, obviously, but could possibly be a game changer and thus deserves special mention!

6) Expanded actions

Last game you got two pokecoins to complete actions each night.  This time, you get THREE! Why?  Because there's a lot more actions from which to choose from, not even accounting for the fact that a lot of people have a unique character action.

7)  Shopping

As part of the expanded actions, worthy of specific mention, is now you will have SOME degree of control over which items you obtain.

8 ) Enhanced cooperation

Passing items during the night is a free action, and if you don't have a specific target in mind, there's even the item raffle.  Donate an item, receive an item, in a semi random fashion based on the input of all participating parties!

9)  Much more!

This list is getting quite long, but I can assure you, there's much more to get excited about this game!

-----

Key Rules

Stat Calculator - http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php

This game will introduce the concept of levels.  All pokemon start at level 10, and each time they train or win a battle they increase in levels by 10. Levels are capped at 50.  This is done to scale pokemon that don't evolve.  To evolve, you must train twice or win a battle twice (or a combo thereof). To evolve a second time, you must do so a further 3 times. Note however, this does mean that you can be level 50 and not fully evolved, and require a further training that does not increase levels to get that last evolve.  Also note, moves are NOT restricted by level.  When possible, pokemon will always have a full slate of 4 moves, even if they're level 10.

(More to come later)

Battling/Investigating

At the end of each day phase, there will be a pokemon battle. Some days (announced in advance) will feature a double battle, for a total of four participants.  There are a variety of ways to decide who participates in a given battle.  Every player will have access to the ##Nominate and ##Rocket commands.  These commands vote for a player to be a standard trainer or team rocket participant in a battle, the highest number of votes "wins".  In the event of a tie, RNG will decide between those that are tied.  For fairness purposes, the standard trainer is considered to be the "challenger" and the rocket is to be considered the "challenged" party.  This simply means that when it comes to scheduling or other out of game considerations, the challenged party will generally be favored as they were not the ones to choose to be placed in that situation. In other words, if you're the one being aggressive, you better be prepared to be around to back it up.  Attempts to rig the vote in the opposite direction will be strongly discouraged at GM discretion, and advantage here may be flipped if shenanigans have occurred.  This clause should not come into effect often, as there are several ways available to keep the battle flowing, even if one party is busy, discussed in a later section.

In battle, each person uses one move per turn, or uses an item.  Some "held" items, such as berries, can also be used as standard items.  If you do not wish your opponent to know which move you are using, you may refer to your attack as "Move 1, Move 2, etc", and between battles (at night) you may randomize your move order so that its fresh for the next battle as a free action.  Switching pokemon during a battle is not allowed, and the battle ends when one pokemon (or set of pokemon on a side) faints.  Both the victor and the defeated will obtain a care package after the battle, though the victor's package will be larger.  The victor's pokemon will also increase in level by 10 and gain a point towards evolution.  The victor will also gain an extra pokecoin while the defeated will lose one pokecoin.

Because scheduling is complicated for all parties involved, night phases may be extended.  There are also several options for those that still can't find the time.  First, you can submit an "autobattle document" to the GM.  This is simply instructions for how to battle and the GM will carry out said instructions, to the letter.  The upside of this is you technically retain control, but the downside of this is it's very inflexible.  If you do not wish to do this, you can designate either the GM or someone not in the game as your proxy, and have them battle for you.  This is more flexible, but depending on who you choose, they might not be that good at battling, or make a mistake, or something of that nature, and it's completely out of your control.  They might eat through all your items in a futile struggle, or not use an item when they really should have, thinking you might want it later.  It's in their hands now, not yours.  Of course, the preferred battle is still the one where both parties are in control fully, so the GM will facilitate finding a time when both parties can be on "live", or facilitate multiple sessions if need be.

As another alternative, a location can be investigated.  The way to do this is very similar to how a normal battle nomination proceeds.  A normal trainer must still be nominated. However, instead of nominating a rocket, a location is instead selected to be investigated by the nominated trainer.  An investigation is not to be taken lightly, and the trainer engaging in one should be well prepared.  Starting an investigation for the first time will reveal some details.  If a trainer succeeds in the investigation, they will gain a benefit.  If the trainer fails, the investigation may be attempted again in the future.

Investigations may not occur on days designated as double battles.

Other Battle Rules

Stat change moves can only increase or decrease a stat by 2 "levels".

All pokemon are considered to have max friendship.

Player Elimination

Players are eliminated when 3 of their 6 pokemon have fainted.

Standard Action Descriptions

Everyone has the same 6 "Free Actions", which do not cost a coin to do, and can be done infinite times per night.  Everyone also has the same 7 "Standard Actions", which cost one pokecoin and can only be done once per night.  Everyone gets 3 pokecoins per night which do not "roll over", unless you lose a battle, then you get 2.  If you win a battle, you get 4.

Free Actions

Change Primary - Changes which pokemon is first in your party, ready for battle if selected.

Randomize Pokemon Move Order - Randomizes the order of your pokemon's move, if you want to obscure that from others.

Pass Item - Passes a selected item to a selected player. *Mutually exclusive with Item Lottery*

Item Lottery - Enter an unwanted item into the item lottery.  Selected items enter a collective pool, and at the end of the night, you get a random item back from the pool, different from the item you placed into the lottery, unless you were the only person to participate. *Mutually exclusive with Pass Item*

Equip Item - Gives a held item to a pokemon

Discard Item - Deletes an item from the game permanently (used to free up inventory space)

Standard Actions (cost 1 pokecoin)

Shop Item - Shops for an item from the standard item table

Shop Held Item - Shops for an item from the held item table

Shop Battle Item - Shops for an item from the battle item table

Shop TM/HM - Pick a TM/HM to buy

Use Item - Uses an item

Use TM/HM - Uses a TM/HM

Train - Raises a pokemon's level by 10, also grants a point towards evolution

Shopping Process/Inventory size

Each shopping action can be performed once per night, at the cost of 1 pokecoin.  If you have the budget, you can select multiple DIFFERENT shop actions. Shop actions are done by category.  There are four categories of items:  Standard Items, Held Items, Battle Items, and TMs/HMs.  You have a limit of 4 Standard Items/Battle Items (combined) and 4 Held Items.  You may exceed this limit if you gain prizes from a battle, but you may not shop in ANY category until you are under this limit (destroying an item is a free action, and be undertaken before shopping).  When you choose a category, a weighted loot table is rolled 3 times, and then those items are presented to you.  Of those 3 items, you are allowed to keep 1.

The contents of each category are as follows:

Standard Items - Potions/Status healing items

Held Items - Berries/Move Type Enhancers/Leftovers (Note:  Berries can be used like standard items if you so choose)

Battle Items - Stat Boosters/Stat Protectors

Buying a TM/HM is simple.  You simply look at the gen 2 list and select which one you want, no RNG.  You may not apply a TM/HM the same night it is purchased.  You may have an unlimited number of TMs.  

Lists:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM#List_of_TMs

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/HM#Generation_II

(Note:  It may be more prudent to look at the gen 2 learnset for your individual pokemon when making a decision on what to buy)

Teambuilding

To build a team, select 6 pokemon.  Pokemon must be first stage evolution (Note:  If a pokemon has a baby form, you DO NOT have to pick the baby form, though you can if you really want to).  You may pick from pokemon 1-251 on the following list, with these exceptions:

Mew, Mewtwo, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Larvitar, Dratini, Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno

(Note:  It MAY be possible to obtain these pokemon during the course of the game)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_National_Pokédex_number

Signups

The following people have signed up.  For optimal play, this game requires 9-12 players.  This game will not start before January 1st pending discussion on what time works for everyone.

1.  TheIrishman

2.  Jeod

3.  Retaliation

4.  Shade939

5.  Sunflower

6.  Brigitte

7.  Cat 5

Timestamps

Day 1

Investigation 1

Night 1

Day 2

Battle 2

Night 2

Day 3

Investigation 3

Night 3

Day 4

Investigation 4

Night 4

Day 5

Investigation 5

Night 5

Day 6

Night 6

Day 7

Night 7

Day 8

Night 8

Day 9

Night 9

Day 10

Night 10

Day 11

Night 11

Day 12

Battle 12

Night 12

Day 13

Night 13

Day 14

Night 14

Day 15

Night 15

End Game

First order of business:  I know the holidays can be a busy time.  When will most everyone be free again to play?  Right now I'm thinking of setting the start date for January 4, which is a Friday (the first Friday after New Years), but am open to suggestions.

Unfortunately, I'll have to sit this one out. I start my new job today, and since it's going to be mostly afternoons, I'll likely miss the battle phases. I'll be available for the regular Mafias, though!

(Also, I can has dead doc? :P)

1 minute ago, Killing_You said:

Unfortunately, I'll have to sit this one out. I start my new job today, and since it's going to be mostly afternoons, I'll likely miss the battle phases. I'll be available for the regular Mafias, though!

(Also, I can has dead doc? :P)

I might be handling the battles in a different way, which will allow for more flexibility, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.  However, I've not exactly decided yet so who knows.

Small asside, I'll add this to the main thread sometime, but to find what your stats are at different levels, use this tool:  http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php

Select the pokemon, enter the desired level, leave the stats blank, and set Stat Exp to none.  It will give you a range of stats, use the max stat.  This emulates having a pokemon with perfect natural ability, but no bonuses from training.  Using the train action won't actually give you any stat training, only increase your level/count for evolution (same with battle victory).

At players' request, let it be known that all pokemon are considered to have maxed friendship.  This does not affect the evolution system, but does mean that the move frustration is useless and the move return is quite good.  This was always planned, the request was simply that this information be posted publicly.

Just now, Jeod said:

Are base moves randomly assigned like Gen 1? And does the Level system affect learnable moves?

Can't remember if I added it to the post or said it to someone in private, but level does not affect learnable moves.  All pokemon will start with 4 moves, and they will be "semi random".  The selection is randomized, but I'll manually make sure things look okay, for example by making sure that each pokemon has at least one damaging move. This also means that in the event your pokemon cannot learn enough moves via level up, some TM moves may be added (example, Delibird).  If you have a magikarp that can't learn TMs, then you're just out of luck.  That said, upon evolution you'll most likely be given a chance to learn a new level up move, and for pokemon that don't evolve you might get a similar chance at level 30.

Just now, Jeod said:

I gave the option to learn moves on evolution, good to see that’s returning. Lmk if you need anything added or changed to the calculator.

I think at this point, just go ahead an add a tick box for "boost damage by 10%" for held item mechanics.  The website I linked earlier can do the rest of the things I need.

4 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

This also means that in the event your pokemon cannot learn enough moves via level up, some TM moves may be added (example, Delibird). 

Stop making me second guess my pokemon choices :v!

EDIT: Crits are automatic when you have some kind of crit booster right? I keep forgetting how the battle mechanics work (and if we're still in type determines special and physical land).

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

I think at this point, just go ahead an add a tick box for "boost damage by 10%" for held item mechanics.  The website I linked earlier can do the rest of the things I need.

In that case, you can just add (X * .10) to the damage result.

1 minute ago, Jeod said:

But if you’re using an alternative calculator what’s the point? :p

Ill probably just fully update mine because I’ll have to anyway for Gen 3.

No I'm going to use your calculator for the damage.  I was just going to ask you to build me a stat calculator too, but I don't need that part now.

By popular request, it's been asked that I explain what type of abilities you guys can expect.  I'll state that the "scout" from Pokemafia 1 has been turned into a unique character ability.  That's roughly the level of power you can expect.  Granted, how strong an ability is can be affected by how skilled the player is, but that's only fair, I would suppose.

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

By popular request, it's been asked that I explain what type of abilities you guys can expect.  I'll state that the "scout" from Pokemafia 1 has been turned into a unique character ability.  That's roughly the level of power you can expect.  Granted, how strong an ability is can be affected by how skilled the player is, but that's only fair, I would suppose.

If this means revealing what types of roles people will have, I'd rather you didn't.

2 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Any word of a reworked Rivals system or double battles?

Double battles will be a thing.  If they weren't, this game would take forever.

As for Rivals, I've not decided what to do with it yet, but there are a few options.  I'd rather keep that layer secret, though.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Double battles will be a thing.  If they weren't, this game would take forever.

As for Rivals, I've not decided what to do with it yet, but there are a few options.  I'd rather keep that layer secret, though.

Fair enough. Since Rivals initially existed to fuel town vs town fights rather than town always voting up rockets to battle each day, I'm looking forward to what you have in mind to curb the possibility more effectively.

Here's the updated Gen II calculator. The current working formula is:

Damage = ((((((2*Level)/5) +2) * Power * Atk/Def) / 50) + 2) * Modifier * Item Boost

Modifier = (Crit(1,2) * STAB * Weather) * Type

Run some experiments with it if you want to be sure everything is being done correctly. Note that I have no clue how Orange intends to calculate stat changes in regards to level, so I did not do this automatically.

PokeMafia Damage Calculator - Gen II.exe