The State of the mods, but also our communities.

your maps is bad. But seriously. private testing was a mid 00's thing to do. its freaking 2019. get with the times. abandon W3D, use the tool Saberhawk is making to export W3D models to modern formats, and work on a new, free to use game engine, with public testing. Unity, Lumberyard, Cryengine, UE4, it doesn't matter. W3D is dead and has been for atleast 15 years. you might have to abandon all C&C ties to do so, but im sure you could rename all the units to be compliant and avoid C&D's

Edited by Dadud

2 minutes ago, Dadud said:

your maps is bad. But seriously. private testing was a mid 00's thing to do. its freaking 2019. get with the times. abandon W3D, use the tool Saberhawk is making to export W3D models to modern formats, and work on a new, free to use game engine, with public testing. Unity, Lumberyard, Cryengine, UE4, it doesn't matter. W3D is dead and has been for atleast 15 years. you might have to abandon all C&C ties to do so, but im sure you could rename all the units to be compliant and avoid C&D's

You're not alone in that endeavor.

13 minutes ago, Jeod said:

I asked that too with the advent of RenX. I got a similar answer, that it would mean starting everything from scratch and learning how to develop on a more unfamiliar engine. There's also a certain bit of pride in stretching the capabilities of W3D so far, as seen in APB Delta and AR. Thing is, Renegade X has a nice SDK out now, and a lot more people are skilled in (or have the motivation to be) UDK.

It could be a rights issue, RenX is one thing but if UDK gets a huge C&C modding community? That could be something EA doesn't want. Who knows.

It wouldnt be starting over from scratch. All the basic game mechanics are there. Even mechs are ingame and working. Hell, they even have the Tesla Tanked from APB directly ported over. It only took a few hours to get that thing up and running, tesla zaps and all.

But yeah, UDKs community is massive compared to the handful of people who are skilled in modding W3D. W3DHub would benefit alot from it in my humble opinion.
I love w3d as much as everyone else here, but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond its expiry date.

Edited by wolf

2 hours ago, LiamGriever said:

A game that is so outdated it doesnt even have fucking recoil. GOLDENEYE64 HAD FUCKING RECOIL FOR FUCK SAKE

Well, one of the reasons I joined was to implement that into the game, along with better gunplay in general. So I hope this part of your concerns will be addressed soon. :)

22 minutes ago, Frashy said:

Complaining about toxicity in the community while simultaneously complaining about not being allowed to be toxic due to removal of the grille is a bit odd. If there are people that got so upset about the grille being removed that they left the community, good riddance, really. That channel was gross.

Yikes. 

FRAYDO deserves better than this and you should all be ashamed. 

>Yikes
image.thumb.png.f491d8162a39ca064daa5bd1233a629a.png

Uh, if you didn't like it. Don't look at it? It had an NSFW sticker and prompt on it for a reason. You waived liability by clicking on it and the channel followed the rules laid out by the discord TOS.
On BBQ GRILLE 2.0 I don't like some channels that were added and I do something incredible. I MUTE IT AND HIDE IT.

I don't virtue signal and tell people they can't do their own thing and have fun while showing contempt and lording over them with a holier than thou attitude. Jesus, self awareness goes a long way.

FRAYDO's in here right now tho? I answer to FRAYDO

Like I've said before, grille removal is a symptom of a deeper problem.This is gas lighting and ignoring the root issue which is the splintering of the community.

7 minutes ago, Testament said:

Like I've said before, grille removal is a symptom of a deeper problem.

The very first time I poked my head in there, I was immediately greeted by /pol/-tier shitposting. I fail to see how such content is so desperately needed to keep the Renegade community together. And yes, one can just mute it, except its existence essentially means it has the W3D seal of approval. And since we're talking "community" and how to retain it, maybe there are members of the community who aren't pleased by it being approved. And maybe it just happens to be something that the people who make the mods don't want to be associated with.

If the overwhelming majority of the Renegade community demands that such channels be left alone, then it can be a discussion. Until then, there's tons of other places where you can share this kind of content all you want.

16 minutes ago, Yah-Nosh said:

The very first time I poked my head in there, I was immediately greeted by /pol/-tier shitposting. I fail to see how such content is so desperately needed to keep the Renegade community together. And yes, one can just mute it, except its existence essentially means it has the W3D seal of approval. And since we're talking "community" and how to retain it, maybe there are members of the community who aren't pleased by it being approved. And maybe it just happens to be something that the people who make the mods don't want to be associated with.

If the overwhelming majority of the Renegade community demands that such channels be left alone, then it can be a discussion. Until then, there's tons of other places where you can share this kind of content all you want.

FREE SPEECH.

S H U T - I T - D O W N

This is the type of thinking that turned it from ironic to unironic. It's not exactly officially approved, it's just put into its own containment board. Everyone who goes BUT MUH RACZISM missed stuff like us trying to save bakfiets from homelessness or the daily conversation we had about anything and everything. It was a place to freely express opinions and debate ANYTHING. Shutting that type of thing down just gives credence to the points made by all the people whom these certain people have an issue with. All they had to do was join, and put them in their place if they felt so strongly, anyone was free to do so.

Yah-Nosh, the majority of the Renegade community are huge advocates of freedom of expression. I was blamed as a ring leader for saying things I've said for years (and everyone else has) that are suddenly unfashionable or unacceptable because a few sensitive sallys who can't be bothered to take it up with me directly have to go tell the playground monitors on me. That's a separate issue though. If you didn't like the Grille, then you didn't need to even look at it. It's like being mad people are saying things you don't like somewhere you don't even have to frequent and imposing your will on that. That's what I will never get, this autistic obsession of controlling how other people conduct themselves.
Like I said before, it's something no other Renegade communities have, and it was a community favourite among many regulars. If you didn't like it, you should have muted it immediately and forgot about it.

Existence doesn't = approval of the boards content. Containment boards are a strategy utilized by online communities since I first started posting online back in 2005.

4 minutes ago, Testament said:

FREE SPEECH.

S H U T - I T - D O W N

This is the type of thinking that turned it from ironic to unironic. It's not exactly officially approved, it's just put into its own containment board. Everyone who goes BUT MUH RACZISM missed stuff like us trying to save bakfiets from homelessness or the daily conversation we had about anything and everything. It was a place to freely express opinions and debate ANYTHING. Shutting that type of thing down just gives credence to the points made by all the people whom this certain people have an issue with. All they had to do was join, and put them in their place if they felt so strongly, anyone was free to do so.

Yah-Nosh, the majority of the Renegade community are huge advocates of freedom of expression. I was blamed as a ring leader for saying things I've said for years that are suddenly unfashionable or unacceptable because a few sensitive sallys who can't be bothered to take it up with me directly have to go tell the playground monitors on me. That's a separate issue though. If you didn't like the Grille, then you didn't need to even look at it. It's like being mad people are saying things you don't like somewhere you don't even have to frequent and imposing your will on that. That's what I will never get, this autistic obsession of controlling how other people conduct themselves.
 Like I said before, it's something no other Renegade communities have, and it was a community favourite among many regulars. If you didn't like it, you should have muted it immediately and forgot about it.

Existence doesn't = approval of the boards content. Containment boards are a strategy utilized by online communities since I first started posting online back in 2005.

I dunno, kinda sounds like you're the one who is obsessed over something that doesnt seem that important. Calm down your tits. Whats stopping you from being a libtard on other platforms?

PS i have no idea what im talking about

Just now, wolf said:

I dunno, kinda sounds like you're the one who is obsessed over something that doesnt seem that important. Calm down your tits. Whats stopping you from being a libtard on other platforms?

PS i have no idea what im talking about

u wanna fite me

3 minutes ago, Testament said:

FREE SPEECH.

S H U T - I T - D O W N

Give me a break. Nobody is going to your house to arrest you for what you posted into that channel. Nor did the shitposting and any humanitarian actions depend on each other. This kind of rhetoric makes the concept of "free speech" a joke. While there are people out there fighting actual legal battles for real violations of free expression, here we are, arguing over the fact that a Discord channel got axed for being full of content people don't want to associate themselves with.

7 minutes ago, Testament said:

If you want, I can offer my own experiences: not long ago, a Discord server I'm a member of was nearly axed by Discord staff itself over someone reporting it for inappropriate content. Whoever did it was probably a troll, but it was a difficult case to convince the admins, mainly due to a lot of people (un)ironically posting alt-right memes and whatnot in that server. So it's not even just a thing our staff might take issues with, Discord itself does not like this kind of stuff. You don't like it, take it up with them. Personally, I'd rather not see the W3D server get dropped over something like this.

And as others have pointed it out, we are going off topic, so that's my last bit of input on that subject.

Could this toxicity that's expressed through "Freedom of expression" (ignoring the fact that private entities such as this website are free to express what they want on their website) be part of what causes the community to splinter over and over again into smaller and smaller pieces?
No, that couldn't possibly be it!  That's impossible!

🙄

Edited by Frashy

3 minutes ago, Frashy said:

Could this toxicity that's expressed through "Freedom of expression" (ignoring the fact that private entities such as this website are free to express what they want on their website) is part of what causes the community to splinter over and over again into smaller and smaller pieces?
No, that couldn't possibly be it!  That's impossible!

🙄

We should try to teach a cat to eat vegetables - The post

There is some sad statistics for you, gentlemen. My comrades from russian community mostly prefer to play C&C Kane's Wrath, C&C Generals, Red Alert 3 and Mental Omega, almost no one is playing TSR or APB, but when the conversation is about classic C&C Renegade or Interim Apex, few of them are ready to play or already playing the game. But only a few.

cncseries_multiplayer_roles_5-01-2019.thumb.jpg.13d16c471f537a5c674c9717ee6176bf.jpg

The fact is the most of them is always up to see a completely new game from Electronic Arts or Petroglyph Games or any other company that should first be creative to recommend themselves to usual players and fans. Funny thing happened with C&C Rivals, people are still playing it, no matter how the trailer or gameplay itself looks like.

The same thing happened with Interim Apex, but this happened with much smaller crowd.

People are mostly talking about RTS, not about shooter, they know C&C and Dune as those games from which RTS genre was born. "We" have only one topic about Renegade (that does not separate from Renegade X and from mods and standalone games based on W3D-engine), and that topic is almost inactive, while there is a bunch of active topics about RTS-games from Westwood Studios and Electronic Arts. Me and others were trying to make an event to play C&C Renegade or any other game based on its engine, but each time we were planning an event, it came down to one or two games which basically were Mental Omega and Kane's Wrath.

The repositioning of Command & Conquer series as not only an RTS but also a shooter is still a non-healing wound. Westwood Studios wanted to make the next shooter but EA did not allow them to finish that, Petroglyph Games are still planning to make something similar to classic C&C Renegade but busy with their RTS-projects, Electronic Arts never released Tiberium shooter, and so on.

Petroglyph Games: Hey, GraYaSDF! We love Renegade (especially multiplayer) and would love to make something like it again in the future. Currently, no plans to develop something like it in the near term, but it's always good to keep it in mind.

Westwood 3D Hub has to keep these statistics in mind when developing standalone games. But despite the statistics, I always have an idea in my mind. That will be actually a dream, if W3D Hub community officially becomes the developer of Renegade 2 and at some point will collaborate with Petroglyph Games, while constantly working on and releasing the game engine as open source.

Edited by GraYaSDF
Spoiler tag is broken for me, sorry...

So, I am trying to say, that W3D Hub as a community should also work more to expand their auditory, to show good games. Just like in that song from Tiberium Dawn OST, remember? "Reaching out to the other worlds!" Why not to bring back the golden age of Westwood Studios? 😃

3 hours ago, GraYaSDF said:

So, I am trying to say, that W3D Hub as a community should also work more to expand their auditory, to show good games. Just like in that song from Tiberium Dawn OST, remember? "Reaching out to the other worlds!" Why not to bring back the golden age of Westwood Studios? 😃

Thats a bit much to ask from devs who dont get paid for their work. :P 

5 hours ago, wolf said:

Thats a bit much to ask from devs who dont get paid for their work. :P 

Then why should we make games for free, lol?)) For example, to add more languages to each game is not an easy task, I agree, without cash it is going to take months. But people can just launch the game, and at least see notifications and interface on their native, this feature partially breaks the language barrier. The reason why we cannot buy games made by W3D Hub is obvious. The necessary rights to a whole Command & Conquer franchise are still in Electronic Farts hands (maybe even in legs, I do not know how are they holding them).

By the way, I did not see any problem to join this community. On Renegadeforums.com I had a problem of communication. On MP-Gaming I had the same problem. It sounds like each foreign Renegade community lives on its own, and it mostly happened after Red Alert 3 release date or even earlier. In earlier days, Command & Conquer was something... unifying.

21 minutes ago, GraYaSDF said:

It sounds like each foreign Renegade community lives on its own, and it mostly happened after Red Alert 3 release date or even earlier. In earlier days, Command & Conquer was something... unifying. 

I was interested in seeing what we could do to bridge yours and our communities together. It may be difficult with the language barrier, though I am open to suggestions as to how we could achieve this. I was also interested if you had suggestions or ideas in unifying other communities as well.

26 minutes ago, FRAYDO said:

I was also interested if you had suggestions or ideas in unifying other communities as well.

I could suggest to connect with cncseries.ru admins in Discord, because that large portal unite people from different communities and publish or share news about their projects dedicated to Command & Conquer franchise, and they even make conversations with developers, but... you know, it is a gaming community only. Usual users and players do gaming events ("we" did it once for TSR, also recorded few long videos), organize tournaments, editors publish news, developers and writers which exist there do whatever they like to do - they all together use the portal as a platform to showcase what they did. But W3D Hub is not only a gaming community. W3D Hub is also a modding community, community of developers, and it of course has its own launcher for games, that's a bit different from what I had before joining.

2 hours ago, OWA said:
  • Little-to-nobody on our staff roster knows how to use engines like UDK or UE4. We would have to re-learn a lot of things to become competent again.

Whats stopping you? You're about a year or two from irrelevancy to basically everyone but yourselves. move to a new game engine. take some fucking initiative to learn something new. You're literally beating an already beat to a pulp game engine with terrible net code that makes it basically unplayable on less than high quality internet connections. You're stagnant, and adding ships and pretty textures wont change that.