Blast from the Past! Red Alert: A Path Beyond [BETA] 1.2.0 - returning soon!

Einstein

3 hours ago, MPRA2 said:

I boycott this until CamosCrossing gets fixed. I want my Manya/Medic hill rushes.

So the map itself is probably fine, the newer engine just really doesn't like ID collisions, which it complains that CamosCrossing has apparently. So it refuses to load it until we sort that out. The 9935 version of the map works, but I'd rather save that for actual 9935 (as it is slightly different).

Incredible work. Still believe however that V sniping should be included solely for the fact and remembrance of how far we have come and what we should be grateful for.

Beta Days were fucking great. Back when you could M-60 or Ranger every soviet defense with no risk, Medium Tank Mechanics (@EvanB90), the Medic had a Pistol, RA_ForestOfIllusion.mix, RA_SovietsAlliesLOL.mix, Bluehell everything, RA_Fjord.mix with the floating tanks, 0 second delay Demo Truck Firing and my personal favorite the good old Sniper+Phase Combo which prevented you from being seen on Radar until some dumbass bought a demo truck.

Only thing it's missing is the people in my signature. Thanks for this Einstein. We needed it.

Edited by Threve

V-sniping was a hacked up sniping mechanic used back then. Instead of a traditional zoom, you could hold V and move the reticle around the whole screen freely. We did not intentionally remove it, but rather it just happened as a result of upgrading the engine.

Also, the Y and T traditional chat keys work, as well as the F2 and F3 keys, to match whatever preference you may have.

3 hours ago, Threve said:

Beta Days were fucking great. Back when you could M-60 or Ranger every soviet defense with no risk, Medium Tank Mechanics (@EvanB90), the Medic had a Pistol, RA_ForestOfIllusion.mix, RA_SovietsAlliesLOL.mix, Bluehell everything, RA_Fjord.mix with the floating tanks, 0 second delay Demo Truck Firing and my personal favorite the good old Sniper+Phase Combo which prevented you from being seen on Radar until some dumbass bought a demo truck.

I dunno, most of those (except FoI and LOLmap) sound like bad things to me. Beta was fun back then, but there was quite a bit wrong with it in retrospect, and the main draw was that players were around back then and that its flaws weren't nearly as profound as Gamma's. Then Gamma came along and said "hey, we can make it so playing as a mechanic requires you to have some brain cells to rub together and non-mechs can't just diceroll their way through things with bluehell, but the law of equivalent exchange demands that we balance it out with some bad. Like gradual tech level unlocking, arthritis-powered M16/phase/pistols, OP autocannon hind, no more kill icons, no more taunts, somehow worse framerate than Delta, helis covered in treacle, RA_Hourglass, C4 for volkov, laggy chargeups for tesla weapons, flamethrowers that can shapeshift into AP mines, snipers not being rebalanced to compensate for the fact that there is no longer a cheat-gate on sniping, MGGs that spew poogas, EVA being vague about what's under attack, and MRJ producing nausea-inducing sounds. And by some bad, we mean all of it. Take it or leave it", drove everyone away, and a lot of people just haven't come back since. I wish we could have just skipped Gamma and gone straight to Delta :p

22 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

I dunno, most of those (except FoI and LOLmap) sound like bad things to me. Beta was fun back then, but there was a lot wrong with it in retrospect, and the main draw was that players were around back then and that it wasn't Gamma. Then Gamma came along and said "hey, we can make it so playing as a mechanic requires you to have some brain cells to rub together and non-mechs can't just diceroll their way through things with bluehell, but the law of equivalent exchange demands that we balance it out with some bad. Like gradual tech level unlocking, arthritis-powered M16/phase/pistols, OP autocannon hind, no more kill icons, no more taunts, somehow worse framerate than Delta, helis covered in treacle, Hourglass, C4 for volkov, laggy chargeups for tesla weapons, flamethrowers that can shapeshift into AP mines, snipers not being rebalanced to compensate for the fact that there is no longer a cheat-gate on sniping. And by some of the bad, we mean all of it. Take it or leave it", drove everyone away, and a lot of people just haven't come back since. I wish we could have just skipped Gamma and gone straight to Delta :p

I'll say the main draw of testing this for me had been nostalgia about the maps.  Then, when I actually got in game, those rose tinted glasses came off pretty fast.  I can honestly say there's not a map in the current build that I dislike, but loading up some of those old ones I was like "wow", in a bad way.

I still miss Fjord and some others, but I think they might be bad :v

52 minutes ago, Pushwall said:

I dunno, most of those (except FoI and LOLmap) sound like bad things to me. Beta was fun back then, but there was quite a bit wrong with it in retrospect, and the main draw was that players were around back then and that its flaws weren't nearly as profound as Gamma's. Then Gamma came along and said "hey, we can make it so playing as a mechanic requires you to have some brain cells to rub together and non-mechs can't just diceroll their way through things with bluehell, but the law of equivalent exchange demands that we balance it out with some bad. Like gradual tech level unlocking, arthritis-powered M16/phase/pistols, OP autocannon hind, no more kill icons, no more taunts, somehow worse framerate than Delta, helis covered in treacle, RA_Hourglass, C4 for volkov, laggy chargeups for tesla weapons, flamethrowers that can shapeshift into AP mines, snipers not being rebalanced to compensate for the fact that there is no longer a cheat-gate on sniping, MGGs that spew poogas, EVA being vague about what's under attack, and MRJ producing nausea-inducing sounds. And by some bad, we mean all of it. Take it or leave it", drove everyone away, and a lot of people just haven't come back since. I wish we could have just skipped Gamma and gone straight to Delta :p

Agreed. But the quirks in Beta good and bad definitely come to mind when thinking of earlier versions. Everyone did leave come Gamma as well including me. Gamma as a whole just seem a lot more laggy, weird, the characters seemed abnormally tall, firing a gun was retarded and it just overall was not a good experience to me for some reason or another. Delta is definitely a return to form and dare I say better than Beta. The implementations of new features like hitting the rear armor for more damage, crouching for increased accuracy and being hidden on the radar are small but at the same time ground breaking for a game like this and only add a new factor/tool to the game instead of changing it completely. The direction of Delta excites me and I truly believe there has never been a better time to play APB. Sadly player base is just needed, especially for a game like APB. I hope you guys have a good marketing/propaganda team this year.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, Threve said:

Agreed. But the quirks in Beta good and bad definitely come to mind when thinking of earlier versions. Everyone did leave come Gamma as well including me. Gamma as a whole just seem a lot more laggy, weird, the characters seemed abnormally tall, firing a gun was retarded and it just overall was not a good experience to me for some reason or another. Delta is definitely a return to form and dare I say better than Beta. The implementations of new features like hitting the rear armor for more damage, crouching for increased accuracy and being hidden on the radar are small but at the same time ground breaking for a game like this and only add a new factor/tool to the game instead of changing it completely. The direction of Delta excites me and I truly believe there has never been a better time to play APB. Sadly player base is just needed, especially for a game like APB. I hope you guys have a good marketing/propaganda team this year.

Well stated, and I can agree.

From what I hear, we have some pretty cool big ideas bouncing around on the PR front :)

On 1/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, Threve said:

I hope you guys have a good marketing/propaganda team this year.

Want a job? The propaganda team could use a man of your skills. I've recently hired on Hiramaky, and the Game Night we held in January was quite a success. We'll be working on organizing more game nights and potentially inviting YouTubers for coverage. Testament and I are also discussing paid advertisement to expand our outreach. The AMA thread has our current PR strategy, and our outreach can only get better as more C&C Remasters updates brings fans old and new in. Stay tuned!

Just now, Einstein said:

Fired.

*I don't do anything to do with moderation duties. I do other things that involve poking staff with a stick multiple times so I slowly acquire the resources I need to continue my experiments.

Scientist.jpg

1 minute ago, Jeod said:

*I don't do anything to do with moderation duties. I do other things that involve poking staff with a stick multiple times so I slowly acquire the resources I need to continue my experiments.

Scientist.jpg

Ahem. The Mad-scientist role is already taken in this game 😎

Just now, Einstein said:

Ahem. The Mad-scientist role is already taken in this game 😎

Alternate universes collide, old timer. :v

It's more like the discord and game server are well-behaved 99% of the time. Go stir up some drama @FRAYDO!