Discord vs Teamspeak

LiamGriever

Recently I've found myself missing TeamSpeak. I can see the pros and cons of each platform, however, I've been considering one big con with Discord. It has killed casual Voice Communication. There are people who i haven't spoken to in years because everything migrated to Discord. Back along, i could guarantee that if i opened up TeamSpeak, connected to W3D, MPF, or BHP, there would be atleast 3 people in the voice channels where i could connect, and immediately have social interaction with people on more than a text based level. I miss casually sitting in VC, waiting for people to join just so you could casually natter. 

Personally, Discord has killed social interaction on a more meaningful level for me.

Discuss!

Discord I've found to be extremely useful for just average, chill messaging on my phone when i'm not on my labtop/out and about. Correct me if i am wrong but i believe you're able to voice chat in Discord? I downloaded it about a year ago and I faintly remember the abitly to do it.

Teamspeak for me is really where i go on to voice chat. The fact that all the different games are easily listed and shown to join are just appealing to me. 

Again, I faintly remember being able to use discord for voice speaking but am not %100 sure. If you can't use discord for voice chat then, you also have to understand that alot of society now and days is gearing towards messages as well. Just look at facebook, where most of the messages are sent. Same goes with twitter. I haven't left a voicemail in forever now that I think about it. It only makes sence that Discord is more popular as it's easier to respond in solely text.

In regards to teamspeak, me , KTFF, Cjx0r , MARCELLIS and Dblaney frequent on there all the time. Join up sometime!

Edited by Threve
Clarity

IMO TS3 beats Discord in terms of voice chat. There's more options, it's more compatible with certain games (in particular W3D), and it's just more user friendly in that regard. Which is why we still have it.

Personally, I see Discord as more of a replacement for Skype, which is inferior.

yeah teamspeak whilst playing apb is broken for me because I have to get out of the apb or the running renegade window just to speak on ts but on discord I can use it on apb much easier even if I had apb winnowed it will  work; but on ts it wont unless I go out of that window or well minimize out of the window if you will ,and I think discord is better because its less complicating ,and its a little bit easier to use; yes it is kind of bad in a way but discord ,updates more regularly ,than ts does and more people use ,discord voice channels than the ts channels so ,discord is basicly my final and alternative option. 

Edited by thedisclaimitory
re-done

I'm not really a fan of voice chat and haven't had TS3 installed in years. Used to have Skype back in the day but that's kind of died now. Occasionally pop into discord but never used the voice chat features so don't know how well they work.

In other words... Get yer new fangled computer phones off mah lawn and stick to forum chat 😂

TeamSpeak is still pretty good even after all these years, but in terms of growing a community, Discord is leads and bounds ahead. What Discord is essentially a replacement for is IRC; it's fancy IRC with VoIP tacked onto it and it also copied Slack's UI and somehow made it worse.

We started on IRC years ago, but as VoIP became a thing, it was great to hang out and chat to each other on TeamSpeak, because it was easy and it was better than IRC. People who were generally not comfortable with VoIP tended to stick to the forums or IRC (maybe on rare occasions idle in TS).

Then Discord gained traction. You can cram 100's of users into Discord concurrently, just like you could with IRC, so it's great for housing a big community with lots of members that you can then engage with. The difference with Discord (compared to IRC) is that it's easily accessible and features emotes, gifs and HTML embedding that allows it to be a machine for keyboard discussion and re-posting memes that VoIP-exclusive applications like TeamSpeak never were.

I personally use Discord to play games with friends since a lot of them turn their noses up at the thought of TS these days, but since nobody idles in the VoIP channels in W3D Hub, we've lost that casual chat spirit that TeamSpeak had, which is kind of sad.

TeamSpeak are working on their next version, which I hope will bring the fight to Discord a bit, but we'll see.