Get rid of smart map selection

des1206

When there is only a few players, the maps are always restricted to AI-bot maps. It gets boring real quick and then players leave, leaving no one to seed a game. Can we get rid of the automated map selection where if there is less than 4 players it defaults to an AI-bot map?

21 hours ago, moonsense715 said:

I think a better solution would be making more maps get AI support so it's not just a few in the list.

Most of the maps that haven't had bot support built in are either not suitable for low human player counts (nobody wants to play 1v1 KOTG because of the size, and nobody wants to play 1v1 bonsai because of the nuke lottery, even if either map or anything similar has bots milling around) or are centered around gameplay that bots flat out can't comprehend (any naval map, Pipeline because of the oil, and Antlion because teamed bots basically ignore neutrals). Hell, bots already have a little bit of trouble with Guard Duty even though the Soviet bots are forbidden from utilizing the airfield, just because it exists and Soviet bots can spawn inside it but they can't get out without suiciding and either team's bots can't get in to shoot/repair the MCT.

Complex and Seamist are pretty much the only "low-player" maps that don't have bots and are suitable for them, and if I were to take the effort to hook up the rally point system for those two maps (and custom attack/defend objectives for seamist so that bots prioritize the dome), I still doubt a mere 2 extra maps is going to solve the perceived "not enough maps" problem.

On the other hand, "get rid of smart map selection" is a worse idea. Having big maps like ridge war or hostile waters showing up while the server is empty is not going to draw people in.

For a while, I'm going to disable bots and expand the super-low player map list to include every AOW map suitable for low players instead of just the bot ones (so adding Seamist, Coastal, Complex, Pacific, Pipeline and Under), include only one infantry map (Antlion for now) because if it ever decides to play 2 inf maps in a row that's instant server death, and see what happens. It can't hurt :v

idk I kind of like the low player ai bot matches because ,one your basicly playing 1v1 and, 2 you dont feel like you have a command over your team so its basicly straight up c&c red alert in fps mode at its highest ;why I say this is because one you can command your entire team depending if it works or not ,and 2 you can organize a rush a lot better with ai because they fallow your command instead of entire team in ,say a live match ,basicly not agreeing to rush when all the defenses of the enemy are gone ;okay you see what I mean :what I'm saying is you can organize a team better with ai ,than say a live player base in a live match on apb ,so I dont see your point but as far as maps I get that there are less bot automated maps for low player based servers but ,I dont think bots should be limited to say idk 3-6 maps I guess thats how many maps they can be playable idk if ,your an apb dev map creator or somthing like that please fix bots again because in say the map seige the bots dont even do anything they stand around at the purchase terminal for say atleast 3 or 4 seconds they spawn in and they die ,for some unknown an verry odd reason, anyway please fix bots so they can be available to all maps because 3- maybe 4 maps that bots are available is not good in my opinion ,anyway please fix this as we are all asking you guys to fix this problem either it be to get rid of them or to fix them please do somthing to the bots but atleast fix them.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:02 AM, Pushwall said:

Most of the maps that haven't had bot support built in are either not suitable for low human player counts (nobody wants to play 1v1 KOTG because of the size, and nobody wants to play 1v1 bonsai because of the nuke lottery, even if either map or anything similar has bots milling around) or are centered around gameplay that bots flat out can't comprehend (any naval map, Pipeline because of the oil, and Antlion because teamed bots basically ignore neutrals). Hell, bots already have a little bit of trouble with Guard Duty even though the Soviet bots are forbidden from utilizing the airfield, just because it exists and Soviet bots can spawn inside it but they can't get out without suiciding and either team's bots can't get in to shoot/repair the MCT.

Complex and Seamist are pretty much the only "low-player" maps that don't have bots and are suitable for them, and if I were to take the effort to hook up the rally point system for those two maps (and custom attack/defend objectives for seamist so that bots prioritize the dome), I still doubt a mere 2 extra maps is going to solve the perceived "not enough maps" problem.

On the other hand, "get rid of smart map selection" is a worse idea. Having big maps like ridge war or hostile waters showing up while the server is empty is not going to draw people in.

For a while, I'm going to disable bots and expand the super-low player map list to include every AOW map suitable for low players instead of just the bot ones (so adding Seamist, Coastal, Complex, Pacific, Pipeline and Under), include only one infantry map (Antlion for now) because if it ever decides to play 2 inf maps in a row that's instant server death, and see what happens. It can't hurt :v

I'd wager that (ironically) Siege and HostileWaters are both more likely to attract players at 0/0 compared to a lot of maps, simply because of the tech diversity available. So perhaps making those two bot-supported is something worth considering (which is pretty challenging for HW I admit).

It'd actually make Siege APB's most feature-complete map.