CD-DVD drive won't read discs

Goliath35

I've managed to find my old copy of The First Decade so I can play C&C Renegade again, however I can't install it due to the fact that the CD-DVD drive will not read any discs whatsoever. 
I can't ascertain as to whether the disc is knackered, or it is indeed the component itself as I don't have a spare drive lying around. 

I will give cookies to any assistance on this :) 

29 minutes ago, Goliath35 said:

I've managed to find my old copy of The First Decade so I can play C&C Renegade again, however I can't install it due to the fact that the CD-DVD drive will not read any discs whatsoever. 
I can't ascertain as to whether the disc is knackered, or it is indeed the component itself as I don't have a spare drive lying around. 

I will give cookies to any assistance on this :) 

It’s your disk that’s probably fucked. You’re talking about a CD that’s been in existence for 13 1/2 Years. (2006). Does your computer read other disks? 

The good news is you can get another disk for like $10 or so online. Also the games it includes are all easily available. Half of them are freeware. Renegade is here on W3Dhub essentially. And while i’m Not supporting or saying it’s right... you can find free copies online of RA2 / C&C generals.

The only problems you’ll run into (as have I) is compatibility issues. On Windows 7 I was able to play all these games no problem but it was when I went to Windows 8.1 that shit started to lag and get really messed up. 

I've tried other discs and even a DVD and it would not read whatsoever, I've even tried GTA: San Andreas, and usually that shit would go straight to autorun however not this time. 
I'll ask a friend of mine to lend me their drive and see if it works then. If it does work, then we know it's a new drive for me. I'm not fussed about prices anyways :)
I'll report back to this thread when I've done what I need to do. 

Cheers for your reply bro. 

53 minutes ago, Goliath35 said:

Cheers for your reply bro. 

Np. One other question, when you click on your /C: Drive does it show that there is a disk in there? I understand that auto run won't go but does it at least register it in anyway? Also the classic solution, have you tried to restart your computer?

1 hour ago, Threve said:

Np. One other question, when you click on your /C: Drive does it show that there is a disk in there? I understand that auto run won't go but does it at least register it in anyway? Also the classic solution, have you tried to restart your computer?

Naw, the computer recognizes that the drive is active, but when you insert a disc, it doesn't show up as being read, i.e my disc drive is still CD/DVD (D:) even when a disc is inserted (GTA_SANDANDREAS) (D:) /example. 

Dust, bad rubber band, screwed up lube on the stepper rails.  All sorts of stuff can go wrong but is relatively easy to try and fix if you open the unit up.

Obligatory: not a safe class laser device, do not operate with the case off or with grease (fingerprints) on any of the optics.  And don't do you "first test" of your drive by burning a disc, that dramatically increases the power levels (to most of a watt IIRC).

@Goliath35 Do a google search for deleting drive limits in the registry. Its difficult to explain, but basically sometimes you can get a temporary/leftover/incorrect/other registry value that affects how your disk drives work (any drive), and it can cause the type of issue you're seeing. Be very careful performing this process, because you can make your computer not bootable if you delete or modify the wrong value. Good luck!

@Einstein Funnily enough now that you mentioned that, I saw multiple posts about the issue I am having, and multiple replies have stated to go into the registry and delete two registries, UpperFilters and LowerFilters. 

I did just that and my computer was stuck in a reboot loop, so I had to do a system restore. Thankfully it automatically made a restore point and all of my important files are still safe :)

But in the meantime, I'm going to be ending up buying an entirely new gaming PC. But I will save up money for that first, as I also need to buy a van for work :(

1 minute ago, Goliath35 said:

UpperFilters and LowerFilters

This ^ is exactly what I was talking about haha. Remembered the name wrong. Its been years since I've encountered that particular issue. Don't feel bad, I messed it up the first time too, and it was a customer's computer (when I worked at a computer shop), and I was also lucky that system restore was working (although I despise system restore overall). There will be filter entries for each drive, so its just a matter of determining which set to delete (and I don't remember how to do that unfortunately).

Building your own PC or going the easy route?

5 hours ago, Goliath35 said:

Own build, but when the time comes, I'll ask you guys the best specs and builds. I'll sort the budget when the time comes however.

Nice. Well then I'll start by recommending Asus for a motherboard manufacturer. Yes there are alternatives, and yes the alternatives can work just as well, but after ~10 years of being in the computer repair field, I can safely say that Asus has a leg up vs other manufacturers. Good stuff. Also found in many HP and Alienware machines just re-badged 😉

Same for the GSkill brand of memory, though I'm a little less attached to them. I did see my first ever failed memory stick of that brand last week though. Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, Samsung, all are good brands of memory though fairly speaking.

For a CPU, just get something you can afford...lol

Power supply, any "80+" certified unit is good, I highly recommend the Seasonic brand, but Thermaltake and others are fine too. Just make sure it can drive everything you have.

GPU....again, whatever you can afford.

For OS drive, I highly recommend Samsung SSDs, highly discourage buying A-Data SSDs. Other major brands are fine, but I've been selling Samsung to my customers for years and I've only ever had one to fail and it was physically damaged somehow. If your board has the option for a NVMe or m.2 then definitely go that route.

For storage, definitely recommend Western Digital. Anything works, I've just seen long life and reliability from the WD drives.

I think thats about everything....all the high points anyway ^.^