[GAME OVER] Open Janitorial Mafia - Round 2

Jeod

Hey all, since there are no new mafia games announced yet and we have at least two relatively new players (@Brigitte and @Louis), I thought it might be a good time to have another Open Janitorial game. You may recall the first one hosted almost a year ago.

Open Janitorial Mafia is an open setup, which means the possible roles are known from the start of the game. The setup itself is called Janitorial thanks to the pivotal mafia role, the Janitor. The setup only has one doctor and one cop, plus a few other basic roles that haven't been seen on this forum before. Scumhunting is a must, but it shouldn't be as "in the dark" as a true basics game.

JANITORIAL MAFIA ROLES

• Villager (3)
    • The most basic of town roles, the villager has no actions except their vote.
  • Doctor (1)
    • The doctor is a town power role with the ability to protect one player each night, including themselves if desired.
  • Sane Cop (1)
    • The cop is a town power role with the ability to investigate a player each night and discover their alignment.
  • Miller (1)
    • The miller is a basic town role that is essentially a villager, but they will appear as mafia on cop reports and flip vanilla mafia on death.
  • Oracle (1)
    • The oracle is a town power role with the ability to target a player each night to be mod-revealed if the oracle dies. The oracle will only reveal their previous night target. The ability does not stack. The oracle starts with a target at random in the event they die on D1.
  • Vanilla Mafia (1)
    • The mirror role of the town villager, the vanilla mafia has no actions except a nightkill and a vote during the day.
  • Janitor (1)
    • The janitor is a mafia power role with a one-time ability to hide the role of the nightkill. The killed player will not be revealed for the duration of the game.
  • Lawyer (1)
    • The lawyer is a mafia power role with the night ability to make their target mafia teammate appear innocent on cop reports.

This game setup requires 10 players to play. If you are brand new or have only a few games of mafia under your belt, this is a great entry point!

The game will start within 72 hours of the minimum player count being met. Official date and time will be announced within 24 hours of the minimum player count being met.

*This game is estimated to last up to Night 5, which equates to 15 days (48 hour days and 24 hour nights). Depending on how the game plays out, the timeframe might be longer or shorter.

*This game may be cancelled or delayed if another mafia game is announced, since I just hosted one.

Co-Moderator (1 Needed) - I have a full-time job so I'll definitely need some help in meeting GM deadlines. A good entry game for players interested in hosting their own game at some point too!

1. Shade939

Signed Players (10 Needed)

1. Category 5 Hurricane

2. Killing_You

3. Nodlied

4. Retaliation 

5. OrangeP47

6. Mojoman

7. Brigitte

8. TheIrishMan

9. Louis

10. ChopBam

After having a lengthy consideration on whether or not to apply for a possition in this detective game, I have decided that based on the previous success and fond memories, I might just as well sign up for a game in such a simple set-up as this one. I declare that I shall henceforth be participating in this activity!

I'll play, contingent upon a few things.  I'd prefer to start next week at the soonest, as I'm starting a game on MU tomorrow morning, and also might back out if I get an early champs game when the full schedule is released (though I'm not in the champs game that's starting tomorrow).

Excellent! :v Now then, considering what you know about this setup (especially if you've played the previous version), what would you suggest be modified in terms of game balance? I was thinking about a couple options: one, we could have a "Day Zero" that ends in a nolynch. The game would move to Night One as normal, but all players would now have a gameplan and potential scumreads. This option is a sort of counter to the "metagamed into balance" idea that this setup is based on. (In irc variants, it's been suggested this setup is really only balanced when everyone's played it a hundred times and kinda knows eachother)

The second option I thought of is just starting at Night One. I'm leaning more toward the Day Zero option. Thoughts?

First of all I'd suggest the Oracle doesn't reveal their targets alignment if they are targeted by the Janitor ability when that's used.

I'd probably also allow a day one lynch just because of the fact that we have an Oracle role in game though, so that's one strategy that could be used at game start that would otherwise be missing with a  forced nolynch. I'm also assuming it's not standard for the Oracle to have a target before N1 which is usually why a D1 nolynch is the best option.

I randed Game 10, June 10th for the Champs.  It's generally considered the most stacked game of the qualifiers, the marquee event, so it's W3D Hub's time to shine.  Also means plenty of time to play this (once pokemafia winds down here in a few days)