AMX-30 "AP shell" does no short-range damage to some armours

Veyrdite

The last time I tried the AMX-30 (GDI vehicle, bottom-left square of the first vehicle menu) I presumed its damage was so low as to be useless.  I've just done some tests with it again now and discovered something interesting.

It seems that you cannot damage certain armour types if you are <10m away:

Lighter armoured targets (visceroids, many other vehicles) don't seem to be affected by this; they always get hurt even at point blank.

Here's another example where I'm shooting a map tile:

I've done these tests across a combination of online and offline.  Now I'm going to hunt and see if other vehicles are the same ;)

IRL explanation: some shells have a 'safety feature' that avoids detonating the warhead until it has travelled a certain distance/time.

W3D engine explanation: I don't know of any way to do this with LE presets + armour.ini.  I just might not have ever considered some relevant numeric field, or maybe there's some clever in-flight bullet substitution going on via scripts.  IDK.

26 minutes ago, Veyrdite said:

The last time I tried the AMX-30 (GDI vehicle, bottom-left square of the first vehicle menu) I presumed its damage was so low as to be useless.  I've just done some tests with it again now and discovered something interesting.

It seems that you cannot damage certain armour types if you are <10m away:

Lighter armoured targets (visceroids, many other vehicles) don't seem to be affected by this; they always get hurt even at point blank.

Here's another example where I'm shooting a map tile:

I've done these tests across a combination of online and offline.  Now I'm going to hunt and see if other vehicles are the same ;)

IRL explanation: some shells have a 'safety feature' that avoids detonating the warhead until it has travelled a certain distance/time.

W3D engine explanation: I don't know of any way to do this with LE presets + armour.ini.  I just might not have ever considered some relevant numeric field, or maybe there's some clever in-flight bullet substitution going on via scripts.  IDK.

Hi Veyrdite, it seems that i have left a timer in the projectile before detonation on contact, if the timer did not expire it will never detonate and it will bounce/ricochet. I was testing some stuff with the grenade launcher and decide to use a tank shell since is a different shape since grenade is more spherical and a tank shell is a cylinder.

Suppose not to happen on the AMX-13 but hey lucky you raise the alarm. I might have forget to remove all the stuff from it. It relates to Grenadesatytimer and MaxBounce in Ammo preset.

This does apply to Orca Bomber when they are too close to the ground the bomb do NOT detonate.

Also , Hint* Hint*.

If you use twiddler you can create certain ammo like 1/10 fire a defect or malfunction projectile that will ricochet no matter what. :biggrin: I was planning to use it on AP shell. and machine gun ammo.

I would never have guessed it as bouncing.  The explosion still looks like it occurs at the correct location.

EDIT: that doesn't explain why it's armour dependent either.  Hmm.

> twiddler

*flashbacks*

Peony has 1/10000 chance of firing a toy mushroom that harmlessly bounces around the enemy base screaming.

c8c3a40e91662428e8842ea66423aecf--kawaii

Edited by Veyrdite

3 hours ago, Veyrdite said:

I would never have guessed it as bouncing.  The explosion still looks like it occurs at the correct location.

EDIT: that doesn't explain why it's armour dependent either.  Hmm.

> twiddler

*flashbacks*

Peony has 1/10000 chance of firing a toy mushroom that harmlessly bounces around the enemy base screaming.

c8c3a40e91662428e8842ea66423aecf--kawaii

Make the mushroom unkillable and expire after the Peony's fifth shot. If two are fired within that time by the same Peony, they should merge and become a Super Mushroom that would lay waste to everything around it. /endpartialsarcasm