TS: Reborn News Update (13 June 2019)

23 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

What's to stop the EMP from just becoming a MAD Tank? Something slow, rarely used effectively, and almost never bought? Utility vehicles don't have the best track record in W3D Games.

Testing sessions showed that the MEMP is actually getting a lot of use. I think the main difference between it and the MAD Tank is the fact that the MAD explodes when it's weapon goes off (so it's a one-time 2400 credit investment), while the MEMP can fire multiple times in one life. I won't go into too much more detail in case things change (or so I don't spoil future updates), but rest assured that the MEMP is far more useful and far more likely to be bought than a MAD.

MEMP will encourage teamplay. A good way to integrate it into the game is making the MEMP expensive (like 1600$), but is very effective for the late game support (proper armor, and speed, two EMP blast modes). A small area EMP blast by left clicking (e.g. 20 m radius) with direct impact and short cooldown (e.g. 3 seconds) and a big EMP blast by right clicking (e.g. 100 m radius) with delayed impact (e.g. 5 seconds) and high cool down (e.g. 20 seconds).

Such an unusual-looking vehicle, that MEMP. :)

17 hours ago, Mojoman said:

What's to stop the EMP from just becoming a MAD Tank? Something slow, rarely used effectively, and almost never bought? Utility vehicles don't have the best track record in W3D Games.

Keep in mind that APB, Reborn, AR, etc. are partially restricted to the gameplay design present in the RTS games, and some of those RTS mechanics do not always translate to suitable FPS gameplay. This is why sometimes, some representation liberties are taken, and some deviation might occur here as well for the MEMP if FPS gameplay demanded it. As for APB's MAD Tank, I think you should bring that concern to Pushwall. I'm all-in for an improvement pass on niche-gameplay units.

W3D as an engine isn't at fault here, it's just design-level decisions/restrictions that can prevent niche-roles from shining. Gameplay-wise there honestly is not a lot W3D can NOT do (it is why I still enjoy working with this engine).

17 hours ago, Mojoman said:

At bare minimum you’d want the MEMP to follow your group as an insurance against a group of cloaked enemies (which is either a stealth tank or tanks/cyborgs hidden by a mobile stealth generator).

While everybody is talking about MEMP, I wish to slightly draw your attention to the texture of weapon. Why did it lose its scuffs at edges? As far as I know, some units change their weapons while being elite, so you can apply those textures to new weapons to make people feeling like they used their weapons a lot to get veterancy points. I think, this is a great idea for you, dear developers of W3D Hub games. I am not forcing you, if you think that this is impossible to do, due to engine limitation or due to less interest in it, just say so.