[GAME OVER] CYOR: Nintendo Edition

Jeod

Choose Your Own Role: Nintendo Edition

ZLxsvS.png

Hi there everyone! As you all know I’m anticipating a very busy turn of events starting this holiday season. This will probably be my last hosted mafia game for a while—and because of that, I thought it’d be neat to have a lighthearted fun theme! Expect to see the traditional Mafia vs Town vs Third Party vs Neutral in a Nintendo setting! Choose your character from the famous Nintendo franchises and construct them using elements from the many video games they starred in!

Example Franchises

• Mario (including Donkey Kong & Wario)
  • Pokémon
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Star Fox
  • F-Zero
  • Fire Emblem
  • Metroid
  • Pikmin
  • Splatoon
  • Animal Crossing
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Kirby Series
  • Xenoblade Series

*Players may request a character from any franchise as long as it is first-party (no third-party franchises like Kingdom Hearts)

Items

Items from the Nintendo franchises will appear in this game. Some players will create items to start the game with, while others will be inserted and randomly distributed by the GM. Some items will take immediate effect, while others will have the standard item actions (Use, Pass, Destroy).

If you like, you can even have your character create items via ability! For example, Bowser Jr. might create a Bob-omb item each night which is passed around to explode after 3 phases. Don’t be afraid to get wacky!

*Players are asked to limit item creation to one ability-produced item and/or one "starting" item.

Complexity

The kinds of items chosen might make for a crazy game, but hopefully not as mind-numbing as CYOR: Endgame Edition. I'm kinda hoping nobody asks for time travel stuff. :p

Start Date & Times

Here’s the skinny. I start my new gig on August 12th. It’s a standard 8a-5p shift after the initial training. Currently, I want to aim for a Thursday, August 22 @10:00PM UTC (the usual time) game start. That gives you three weeks to decide if you want to sign up and then make a character.

Signups are now closed.

Player Signups

Verti60

OrangeP47

Killing_You

TheIrishMan

Mojoman

Chopbam

Louis

FRAYDO

Category 5 Hurricane

Retaliation

Voe (reluctantly)

Nodlied

How exactly do you define first-party vs third party.  Developer or Publisher?  Because, like, I'd consider a lot of things Rare made to be "Nintendo Games".  They made Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie for crying out loud which are definitely classic Nintendo, but at the same time they also made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, which are a bit more questionable (I'd see reason for excluding Goldeneye, but I'd argue Perfect Dark could be included).  And that's just one example.

That could be a pretty complicated question. One could define it as IP that Nintendo owns exclusive rights to, which would mean none of Banjo, Goldeneye, or Perfect Dark. But, oddly, it would include Bayonetta, as the Bayonetta IP is owned by Nintendo even if the company that makes Bayonetta games is not owned by Nintendo. So the company that makes the game doesn't matter, the ownership of the IP does.

Or you could open it up by saying "if it was exclusive at some point in time, then it's ok", then you're opening up the door for things like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear, Shantae, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest....

Actually, that later statement sounds like the rules for being included in Smash, so...

Edited by Category 5 Hurricane

7 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

How exactly do you define first-party vs third party.  Developer or Publisher?  Because, like, I'd consider a lot of things Rare made to be "Nintendo Games".  They made Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie for crying out loud which are definitely classic Nintendo, but at the same time they also made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, which are a bit more questionable (I'd see reason for excluding Goldeneye, but I'd argue Perfect Dark could be included).  And that's just one example.

3 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

That could be a pretty complicated question. One could define it as IP that Nintendo owns exclusive rights to, which would mean none of Banjo, Goldeneye, or Perfect Dark. But, oddly, it would include Bayonetta, as the Bayonetta IP is owned by Nintendo even if the company that makes Bayonetta games is not owned by Nintendo. So the company that makes the game doesn't matter, the ownership of the IP does.

Or you could open it up by saying "if it was exclusive at some point in time, then it's ok", then you're opening up the door for things like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear, Shantae, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest....

Actually, that later statement sounds like the rules for being included in Smash, so...

Right, I'd define it as the latter. You can further refine the choice by giving it the console test--is the character seen or available on other platforms (Xbox, Playstation)? If so, then they'll probably be denied. The exception to this rule is Super Smash Bros, which has a large roster to choose from. Assist trophies and spirits don't count as characters though. :v

Also, Edelgard best girl.

Actually, first-party should mean Nintendo-developed and published. But they aren't doing a lot of that with their IPs anymore and I don't want to be too limiting.

Right, even some of their older IPs have been getting developed by other companies lately. F-Zero, Metroid, and StarFox each haven't had a fully in-house-developed console game since the N64 (and F-Zero hasn't had ANYTHING for what, 15 years?). Donkey Kong hasn't had an in-house game since...the Game Boy? Hell, Smash probably qualifies as one of those as Sakurai is kind of a mercenary of sorts, doesn't seem to work directly for the company from what I recall, and Namco worked on it as well. Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and Kirby have always been made by other companies, even if said companies have been really closely affiliated with Nintendo.

I think the games that Nintendo works directly on now are limited to Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Super Mario...hell, Monolith Soft was pretty heavily involved in Breath of the Wild, so even Zelda isn't fully in-house right now.

6 hours ago, Liten said:

Friendly reminder that picking anything that isn't Kirby is objectively a bad choice, and if you do you should reconsider your life choices.

You’re in.