LEvelEdits Heightfield Section

Kamuix

I just not long ago found out how to use it, it doesn't give you many options but i love the way you can move the terrain around and even more i like the texture blender, i've gone through Renx and s3dmax 8 with W3D patch and i still can't find a way to blend textures, i know how to do it in Ren X but it's somewhat complicated. Vertex paint for example i don't know why you can't simple paint and blend textures with the Vertex Paint tool

Also i have a question. when you create a heightmap through LevelEdit, is there a way you can move the terrain? 

Never used it personally, but from what I've heard from the coding experts many times, heightfield mapping is really unoptimized (and hasn't been supported at all).

APB once had three DM maps that used heightfield and while it was neat that the mapper could blend many textures together, there were some heavy limitations as well (z-pulling only being one of them, which when trying to make interesting terrain looks bad and doesn't work well for collisions).

Someone else who's actually used it can chime in more.

The heightfield editor has been removed in Mammoth since the engine never properly supported it to begin with.

If you wish to do level design for a W3D project, you will need 3DS Max8 (released in 2006), or 3DS Max 2017. We encourage using 3DS Max 2017 if you can accord it or own a student licence. 

Unfortunately the texture blending you experienced in the old LevelEdit (that is now only used for Renegade) is not supported in 3DS Max, because of the limitations of the W3D material system. So either way you'd be looking at learning to do it the way we do it ourselves. Fortunately most tutorials we have are still fairly accurate despite frequently using older versions of 3DS or even RenX in screenshots.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask them. We also have a #modding channel in the W3DHub discord if you wish to ask questions about making content for W3D games.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:15 AM, Kamuix said:

Also i have a question. when you create a heightmap through LevelEdit, is there a way you can move the terrain? 

There's an option in one of the top menus called "Terrain Selectable", just check it on. :)