New Renegade inspired IP From Petroglyph

MPRA2

On the one hand, super excited about this! :)

On the other, I'm a bit worried about Petroglyph. Was it not less than a year ago that they came out with Conan Unconquered (which has a C&C pun right there in its name)? And previously it was the 8Bit series, Grey Goo, Universe At War... all of these were competently made, but it kind of feels like they just can't stick to a single project.

3 hours ago, Yah-Nosh said:

but it kind of feels like they just can't stick to a single project.

To be perfectly fair, who says that they need to? As C&C fans I could acknowledge that we'd all like to see an ongoing storyline with mystery, suspense, and intrigue, it also can't be altogether bad for a company to branch out and try a bunch of different things.

7 hours ago, Yah-Nosh said:

On the one hand, super excited about this! :)

On the other, I'm a bit worried about Petroglyph. Was it not less than a year ago that they came out with Conan Unconquered (which has a C&C pun right there in its name)? And previously it was the 8Bit series, Grey Goo, Universe At War... all of these were competently made, but it kind of feels like they just can't stick to a single project.

4 hours ago, ChopBam said:

To be perfectly fair, who says that they need to? As C&C fans I could acknowledge that we'd all like to see an ongoing storyline with mystery, suspense, and intrigue, it also can't be altogether bad for a company to branch out and try a bunch of different things.

I honestly agree with the previous sentiment. I played 8Bit Armies, and Forged Battalion. The first one wasn't too bad, and I don't know how much better it got, since I only played it at the start, but it felt very copy-and-paste. The buildings, as I recall, were basically the same for each faction, and the units had only a little bit of variety. These wouldn't be such a big problem, as TD and RA were similar in that way, but the skirmish maps were very symmetrical, and the campaign missions were just skirmish maps with some objectives and subtle changes. The units felt kinda floaty too, they didn't have a ton of weight behind them. Forged Battalion was very much the same. The customizable armies focus was very interesting, but all the maps were symmetrical, and the campaign was just skirmish maps with some very minor changes. I'm hopeful for this, it does look really interesting, and more Renegade-like games are very welcome. But I'm going to be skeptical about it.

18 minutes ago, dblaney1 said:

Blame the stupid competitive community for the Symmetrical maps. They want everything to be equal. 

Dame you competitive community!

I mean, I get it, but goddamn. there is absolutely no character to a map. it's just the same thing, every time. I went some asymmetrical, I want the map to actually look cool.

Well, this gameplay is something that I wanted and I began to make that in late 2010. Also, years later I had a short conversation with community manager about C&C Renegade and Commando Assault, their thoughts were like "we are still thinking about to make something like Renegade+Assault, but there is no time for it yet". But this graphics in Earthbreakers... dear God, it is really weird, I am actually dissapointed why developers decided to make that cartoony graphics... I hope this is only the effect which may be disabled. Time will tell, how good this game will be and how long multiplayer will stay, I already sent to Petroglyph some questions related to Earthbreakers and to entire RTS/FPS genre.

Edited by GraYaSDF
Anyway, I will still stay with Commando Assault and Extreme Co-op, even if C&C Renegade is outdated game. Long live the Renegade.

1 hour ago, GraYaSDF said:

Well, this gameplay is something that I wanted and I began to make that in late 2010. Also, years later I had a short conversation with community manager about C&C Renegade and Commando Assault, their thoughts were like "we are still thinking about to make something like Renegade+Assault, but there is no time for it yet". But this graphics in Earthbreakers... dear God, it is really weird, I am actually dissapointed why developers decided to make that cartoony graphics... I hope this is only the effect which may be disabled. Time will tell, how good this game will be and how long multiplayer will stay, I already sent to Petroglyph some questions related to Earthbreakers and to entire RTS/FPS genre.

The graphics I was sort of on the fence about, it really depends what they are going for in the long run. Deep Rock Galactic made it work superbly, and they had to, since the destructible terrain means they have to strip down the graphics to avoid murdering performance. Maybe since the scale of the battles is intended to be large, and Petro can't exactly work with things like Frostbite or whatever, they want to make sure it looks decent and performs well (plus maybe creating assets is easier, so they can make more in less time).

Sure, a "realistic" Renegade-esque game would be awesome too, but I'm on board with this as long as they make it work.

That game looks like it has a long way to go. They first have to make the game totally in one art style complete with a protagonist, and then completely throw it all in the garbage and do it all again in a different style and use the first protagonist as a tutorial character.

PETROGLYPH:

Thanks, GraYa! Frank Klepacki is a talented guy and really fun to hang out with. We're definitely fans of Renegade and you can see that in Earthbreakers. It's still early so we are still in development of the game. Not so much Battlezone and more Renegade however. We also liked the graphic style introduced with Borderlands.

• 1 month later...