My thoughs and some feedback

cdburner5911

Some people may not agree with some of my thoughts, which is fine, but i think these are things that would improve the fun of the game, and decrease frustration, because I play the game to have fun.

My first, and probably biggest problem with the game right now, is nuke/ion beacons.  If I had my way, for servers with less than 5 or less players per side, I would disable them completely, but I realize that's not going to happen.  My suggestion is that when there is 5 or less players per side to have the beacon time be 1 minute or maybe 1.5 minute.  When there is so few people its usually at least 15s before you can even get to beacon.  The next related problem is people camp the beacons, obviously, but when players literally park vehicles on top of beacons its total BS, and makes it effectively impossible to diffuse, especially in 30s.  A lesser concern is that they are so tiny, if you are trying to dodge vehicles or gunfire to diffuse, they are hard to remain pointing at.  Its also quite frustrating to have like 5 plants in a row.
some further suggestions, idk if these are possible, but perhaps if beacons are set up outside a building, which 99% are, make it do a max of like 75%-90% damage to building so its not quite so easy for someone to rush a base, find a place defenses can't hit, plant, and park on beacon for a guaranteed kill of any structure.  Perhaps also their could be a time limit after one is called before another can be called.
As a related thing to this, there needs to be less beacons laying around the map *cough vile facility *caugh

The next biggest thing is that once you loose a barracks, the free units are garbage.  The snipers, with bullet drop, are 100% useless.  the few times I used them, 99% of my bullets miss because I have no idea where TF the bullets are going.  The engi having barbed wire and a MG is actually super nice, props for that.  The 'shotgun trooper' or whatever, is only bought for the rocket launcher.  It does acceptable damage I guess, with sub par range, and props for upping the rockets from 3 to 5, but the time to reload makes it super useless.  There is also some kind of weird firing delay which makes it really hard for me to hit moving vehicles.
I feel like there should be a few infantry that can be bought for like, $400-$60, without the barracks, that are at least not useless.  Probably one that is more effective vs infantry, and one that is decent vs infantry and aircraft.

Related, one of the Ren servers allows a team with no War Factory to still call in, for Nod, a light tank for a higher cost, and only one every min or so.  I think this would be a really good idea to allow peopleto call in a few vehicles for a lot more $$$, so a team without a War Factory can have at least something.

Next, I think the face that OBI, AGT, and ATADS guns have unlimited ammo is absolutely insane.  They are already super OP guns, which is ok as they are special weapons, and I know the OBI is a timed thing, but there is no way they should have unlimited ammo.  I just played a match where someone got an AGT gun and was able to completely dominate for 10+ min because no one was able to kill him.  They need to be limited ammo, and not able to be refilled with !ammo.  As a continuation of that, the fact that tesla troopers have unlimited ammo is also kinda ridiculous.

As much as I love my m551, the missile it fires is far too strong for an amphibious, 700 credit, vehicle.  I know its an AT missile and has a longer reload, but it does like, 30% too much damage, in my opinion.

I think that GDI should have something similar to the Nod anti tank sniper, or he should loose his scope, as the cheapest sniper GDI have is $500

I think the stealth heli is FAR too powerful with a very high damage output and well, stealth.  more than once someone has just patrolled around the map, outside of AA range, and been able to sneak up on anyone in a vehicle and been able to destroy it from behind before they can turn around.  I'm not sure if giving it less missiles or just making them do a bit  less damage would be beter, but its just such a frustrating unit.

Obviously, the spy.  There needs to be some way to tone it down a little.  I know there is another thread about it, but my 2 cents would be the stealth icon above them if they are seen by a sensor truck (names escaping me atm), or perhaps it gets announced that one has entered the base, because often times I don't even think to look until someone mentions it or one of our buildings blows up.

Vile.  I love the new map, but I have not ever seen Nod win. Most of the time I have played it devolves into an Ion-fest with SO MANY WAYS to sneak into the base.  96 mines on this map is laughable.
I honestly don't know if giving Nod an OBI would solve this, but something needs to be done.

The cheapest GDI AA (im having a total brain fat on the names right now), I can't remember its damage, but it has a comically long reload which makes it completely useless

The GDI microwave tank thing (alt to railgun mamy) is way too powerful vs buildings I think, while being fairly well armored.

The 36" mammoth.  its supposed to be this huge heavily armored tank, but I feel like its a bit meh to be honest.  I mean, when its being repaired its decent, but just on its own it gets killed pretty quickly.  Combined with its molasses slow turning its pretty vulnerable to other vehicles I think.  I would honestly trade less damage for faster maneuvering

cold wall (i think thats what its called, idr)  this maybe an odd one, but the dam cannons at the top of the wall are WAAY too powerful.  you line 4 of them up and you can kill a building pretty quickly.  especially on low pop servers.  also, its SO frustrating when people just cam the wall with ramjet rifles and there is nothing you can do, even more so when the barracks/HON is down.

winter assault.  Its super annoying that you can drive a tank up to the PP through the tunnel, because you can just blast any defenses set up and drive on through.  But the really annoying thing is when enemy caps your ship yard and then you just get spammed with super hard to kill ships.  And when the enemy CY is up its much harder to destroy the shipyard while not being killed by enemy ships.  One possible way to solve this would be to have it announce when the enemy is capturing your shipyard, or have the shipyard not be repaired by the construction yard. 

totally can't remember the name of this map, but Nod is in a canyon and GDI is by the beach.  IDK who thought it was a good idea to put a cave ledge that overlooks Nod base with great cover and easy access, but every time i have played that map, there is at least 1-3 people with PICs, constantly in that cave wrecking Nods base.  Its also super hard to snipe them because you have to go on the hill where the harvester goes and you are totally exposed.  probably 3/4 of the time I have played that map GDI wins.

I have always thought of Ren as a vehicle focused game, as there are tons of other infantry games out there, but I feel that overall infantry are a bit too powerful vs tanks, and tanks are a bit too weak vs infantry.  Even tanks with MGs, I find it hard to kill infantry when they are jumping around like squirrels on speed.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, I know there is always going to be some vehicle or unit that is overpowered, but these are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head that make the game go from fun and challenging to frustrating.  I actually quit playing the game for like 6 months because people were abusing the nukes and ions so dam much. 
If I am being totally honest, I think ALL the high tier vehicles and weapons should be scaled back a bit to just slow the game down a bit, or make buildings a bit stronger.

I know some of these issues can probably be attributed to the fact that I kinda suck, but I can't be the only one who finds these things irritating. 

For GDI the ion titan and the 36 inch (good missile splash too) are great at clearing infantry so is the zippo and the Spaag (if you know how to aim it).

Nod has the Pion (poney) and super tank (AI guns always help) and not to mention flame tank and Tunguska, or just run them over with a stealth tank.

Winter assault, I would agree that the tunnel width was strange I had a list somewhere of vehicles that could fit for both Nod and GDI sides. The diameter is different per side, Nod could fit an ore truck through if they get the angle right. Also aircraft work well on ships if you don’t slow down. Or if the boat is really big there are blind spots you can hide a tank in to kill it.

I think I know the name of the map but I have to ask is the map snowy and does it have an obilisk? (The map lacks swimming and forgotten units, but it’s still fun) Also that cave can be secured with mines and sapper turrets (that and make sure to get the gun that spawns there sometimes it’s a pic).

cold wall (needs forgotten sniper unit, lol) but yea that map needs some tweaks. When ever I play it I try to A.) secure the wall (it has turrets plus money) . Then B.) I try to secure a path to it (this is where pioneers help. Or just secure the tunnel entrance (there is one underground). Also ion cannon beacon help clear the wall for an assault. 

Out of time but willing to answer/put in my 10 cents.

6 hours ago, Raptor29aa said:

Also aircraft work well on ships if you don’t slow down. Or if the boat is really big there are blind spots you can hide a tank in to kill it.

Not any more. The latest patch lead to all ships insta-killing aircraft. The torpedo-boat also needs more damage. it's hard to manouvre for its size, the damage is laughable and it blows up when hit while it should obviously be a dedicated anti-ship vehicle.

@cdburner5911: I agree to all of your points but the stealth heli. It's a flying glass cannon which explodes when you sneeze at it - even the default rifle soldier can kill it - and costs 2750.

It also can only kill other ambush-stuff like the Hover MRLS - and it plays a very important role against it on maps with water because Nod doesn't have swimming high tier anti-tank vehicles. (while GDI has the hover-mrls and the ADATS, which is in my opinion the best vehicle against ships atm)

BTW: !reccomendation cdburner piracy :p

Edited by der Papst

I agree that the stealth heli is pretty easy to kill, if you can spot it before it kills you
I played a 2v2 match where someone was just cruising around the map with one, and was able to kill me like, 6 times in a row because I couldnt spot him.
again, im not the best player, still annoying. Doubly so because the GDI cheap AA is super under powered, and the med one is disabled right now.  I also have a really hard time hitting anything with the spaag, but I  don't use it often. 

On winter assault are quite strong.  even if they aren't that effective against ground units, they have LOADS of health and armor, and in a late game the enemy team can easily afford to cap your shipyard and spawn 3 battleships, and then if they get a heli up, there is basically nothing you can do.

I know this is kinda part of the gameplay, and i get that, but some of these things are just too much and just ruin any fun in the game, for the receiving side at least.

Im curious on other peoples thoughts on ion and nuke beacons, especially on small servers, because I feel like that is literally the worst part of the game for me, and ruins any fun to be had when someone does that. 

Stealth heli needs to be removed, well, the anti tank version does, simply because it shuts down GDI from being able to use any air units. Unless heavy air balance is adjusted the Comanche Anti Tank will always be OP for its ability to kill ORCA for free. Maybe if they lost all tracking on their rockets, but even still. 

Ship balance is its own problem. Right now, I think ships just plain suck. They're giant walls of health that are anti everything, slow as balls, and frankly not even that threatening since due to their size it's much better to have the enemy team rush you with ships and get blocked by each others giant models than it is to be rushed down by 8 Railgun Mammoths. Ships should be readjusted to something a bit more like the land combat, and they especially need dedicated roles. Having every ship except the torpedo boat double as AA just reduces the available combat options even further. Ships also shouldn't be able to depress their guns through their own hull, they desperately need a minimum firing range so that they would actually require support if someone just rushes them in an amphibious vehicle. Also it looks dumb. 

And free infantry need to be better, or you need to be able to buy at least a few tier 1 and 2 infantry at a much higher price when barracks go down. This has always been a Ren problem though, where the most important building in the game is the Barracks/Hon due to how shit basic infantry are. 

2 hours ago, notDMB said:

free infantry need to be better, or you need to be able to buy at least a few tier 1 and 2 infantry at a much higher price when barracks go down. This has always been a Ren problem though, where the most important building in the game is the Barracks/Hon due to how shit basic infantry are. 

I thought that is where the forgotten hub comes in handy. Like the forgotten scavenger has a repair 3 gun and moves faster than the average unit (it is useful  even if the hon/bar is alive) .  Besides some dead opponents drop a class change powerup.

Dumb smelly mutant known as the marauder (big one with plasma cannon) outranges any base defense. 

But I do agree the major downside is that they are very slow and wide... and easy for stealth infantry to attach C4 to. (Yes it does work surprisingly well)

but stinky no, I would only accept the word gooey.

ps try the templar you won’t be disappointed... reload? sure after my minute and a half of carnage...

Edited by Raptor29aa

In regards to infantry, it’s supposed to be painful when loosing your barracks. While I agree that the free sniper makes no sense the other free infantry are stupid good. 

1. the basic rifle infantry runs faster than most, can use incidenary grenades to burn death Power Armor or light vehicles. 

2. the infantry benefit from upgrades with small arms upgrades making your rifle soldier hard hitting with incidinary rounds. You can also get armor and health bonuses.

3. you have !wep command available along with a stupid high amount of weapon pick ups. Heck you even have !char available if you’re decent (which also auto heals you by 5 hp every 4-5 seconds).

4. You have the forgotten hub. 

5. use the Shotgun rocket launcher against anything. Worried about reload? Aim, fire, hit target, switch weapon quickly, hit E on the PT, hit 5, switch back to your rocket and you just skipped reloading. I’ve been 1 Hit K/O by these fucking things so many times it’s incredible. The shotgun rounds even burn you right off the bat.

6. Repair gun disassemble will burn damage a Power Armor Sydney before she can pull her Beretta 93 out of her ass and kill herself. If you’re really about it, you can try your luck with a sticky bomb as well. You can also spam defenses in base with this unit.

This is a problem of just “Git Gud”. Hate free infantry? Kill more stuff, repair more or blow up a building to get the !char, !Pweap, !Wep commands. Or don’t let your barracks die. I can understand it being a problem in APB, but renegade (and IA especially) is so much more liberal in ways you can do things I don’t see an argument to be made with what I’ve just said above. Maybe make the forg units better (and the free sniper) but that’s about it here.

The anti tank Comanche could lose missile tracking but that would make it like the banshee, if not worse. I believe a tiny (and I mean tiny) reduction in acceleration would be best. What happens is it retreats quickly after killing its prey and hides again. Not a problem, but it does accelerate a little to quick. this is a fun unit that when used correctly is immensely powerful. Taking it out of the game would just make IA dull as fuck. The Ezikel was nerf’d (which it needed to be, yes) but now it’s just become a glorified stealth tank with a small increase in armor and hp. M6 Linebacker now has pathetic Armor and a $800 cost (any orca can just 2 Hit K/O it now assuming they attack from behind). Infared Tanks now Fire pathetically slow (it’s now balanced against infantry in my opinion but against vehicles or Buildings it’s not worth it). This is one of the few fun units left and does not need to be removed. Acceleration slowed down would be a good compromise. Also, use a M551 Sheridan middle against it for a 1 Hit K/O or an AA Infantry. Hell you can even kill it with a ramjet and the $2,750 vs $1,000 will pay off quickly. 

Ships are weird. I do like that they actually do shit now, I don’t believe people know how to counter them however which is why there is a lot of complaining or that last patch they could use an $800 ORCA unit and kill a $12,000 Battleship after a minute and now they can’t.  Use a FV005 Stage II, mammoth 36inch against battleships and the lot or Pion/banshee/Koksan. I’ve had a lot of success with these vehicles. 

Also, capture your ship yard and hold your ground. Keep your Naval Gun alive. If your naval gun is dead, watch for “Threve Blew up the GDI Forg ship yard”. If someone blew it up then get an orca and go kill them or build base defenses there. This game is about economy, then using it to ether defend vulnerable areas or attack your enemies. You can build two stinger missles to ward off Comanches and a machine gun emplacement or two on the forg shipyard. Hell you could just wait for a nod unit to capture it, build a ship and then kill him to steal said ship (as happened to me).

On 12/20/2019 at 7:55 AM, Threve said:

Pion/banshee/Koksan. I’ve had a lot of success with these vehicles.

After rollout of current patch?

At least Orca Bomber and Banshee should be usefull against ships, but since last patch all ships kill even heavy armored aircraft like dedicated AA-turrets.

18 hours ago, der Papst said:

After rollout of current patch?

At least Orca Bomber and Banshee should be usefull against ships, but since last patch all ships kill even heavy armored aircraft like dedicated AA-turrets.

Well to be fair, they are and when ships started out it was a simple “buy $800 ORCA to kill $12,000 battleship”. I used the banshee when it was a ship sieging our base and it’s Guns were focused on structures. This allowed me to reload fairly ok time and move fast hit and runs on the ship while it’s guns went from buildings to me back to buildings.

it should be noted however that ships are incredibly expensive, slow and need to be countered with team work. The aiming on them against ground units is also questionable from range. I believe different tactics need to be made as the previous ones were not working. I also believe it is hard to give reason that such an expensive unit cannot kill an $800 ORCA Fighter or Apache. 

The destroyer is a bit more OP than it should be for air though with the missile it fires (I believe at Aircraft). So I can see toning that down a bit... but it is weaker and meant to serve as support, not building destruction. 

For the battleship, I think it should kill ORCA’s no problem. It’s massive, tons of guns and against land units it’s not all that great. Hell you can just get a battleship to fight against anouther if you’re that worried about it. If you don’t have the $ for it then you’ll realize that’s what this game is about and hope be better prepared next time. 

I agree with most of your post, especially with “buy $800 ORCA to kill $12,000 battleship”. I also enjoy using Koksan or 36inch against them when defending my base.

I'm just saying:

• Ships (and not the 12k$ ones, more the cheap ones) are a bit too effective against heavy armored aircraft like Orca Bomber or Banshee
  • The torpedo boat - in the role of a dedicated Anti-Ship-vehicle - should do more damage, you can rise the price to compensate

BTW: I would also enjoy a A-10 Thunderbolt at GDI, I would even change my ingame-name to "Morelli" to celebrate that :c00l:

Edited by der Papst

Actually there's a ONLY ONE option for Nod at "Vile" map to make GDI cry)

Someone (or many) need to take engineer and then go to GDI barracks. While it's only start there's no any proximity mines. Just blow it up.

Then wait for GDI to reconstruct barracks and then surprise infidels with Mendoza fire suit. He can run through 20-30 mines in a row! Well now there's need for someone to go with you to finish demolition))

You can do it again, and again, until too many mines. Even fire suit can't save from 100 mines.

But anyway, yea...

GDI has too OP map positions(and vehicles, and infantry)

Edited by shoverno2