[GAME OVER] Cop Mafia II

Jeod

8bee9a4f76f9a197d5f251efaa983b3213353745

Some might remember the first Cop Mafia that got blown into oblivion when the forums went boink a few years ago. It was requested that I host another one, especially since we have a lower player count this time of year. It's an open setup and relatively easy to jump in--perfect for new players.

5 Player Setup:

• Sane Cop - All cop reports are accurate.
  • Insane Cop - All cop reports are opposite of what they should be.
  • Naive Cop - All cop reports are innocent.
  • Paranoid Cop - All cop reports are guilty.
  • Vanilla Mafia - Kills cops.

8 Player Setup (Adds these roles):

• Random Cop - All cop reports are random (random alignment, not random target).
  • Lazy Cop - All cop reports are received the following night (delayed reports).
  • Roleblocker Mafia - Blocks cops.

Obviously, the town goal is to find mafia while the mafia will need to fakeclaim as a cop in order to survive. Cops do not know their sanity, only that they are Cops. This sort of setup is entirely dependent on logic and wifom skills.

The game will start within 24 hours of the minimum playercount needed (5). If more than 5 sign up, I'll extend the deadline to 48 hours to allow up to 8 players to join.

Signups

@Voe

@Killing_You

@iLikeToSnipe

@ChopBam

@OrangeP47

A bit too simplistic for me, I've already figured out the likely optimal strategy for Town.

You might want to buff Mafia a bit Jeod, make them a Roleblocker, possibly with only a one-shot block action to add in more variety based on who they hit. Or give them some way to throw in a bit more randomness to the game, so there isn't a consistent optimal strategy you should use every game.

41 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

A bit too simplistic for me, I've already figured out the likely optimal strategy for Town.

You might want to buff Mafia a bit Jeod, make them a Roleblocker, possibly with only a one-shot block action to add in more variety based on who they hit. Or give them some way to throw in a bit more randomness to the game, so there isn't a consistent optimal strategy you should use every game.

Don't see a need for it at the 5-man setup, but perhaps at the 8-man sure.

17 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Don't see a need for it at the 5-man setup, but perhaps at the 8-man sure.

If the games too logic based, that basically removes the need for player input, since there's only one right move to make, so you can figure out exactly what your going to do before you've even started the game. Which works out great for a competitive 1 vs. 1 game like chess, not so much for a 4 vs. 1.

Just now, Shade939 said:

If the games too logic based, that basically removes the need for player input, since there's only one right move to make, so you can figure out exactly what your going to do before you've even started the game. Which works out great for a 1 vs. 1 game like chess, not so much for a 4 vs. 1.

Then don't join. Simple.

I mean, everything worked out just fine the first time we played. It was a really fun puzzle to put together, and Mafia managed to win by presenting a strong argument. I don't see what's wrong with it.

Although I am happy to see how close we are to getting this one started. it was a great setup, and I can't wait to see how it pans out this time around.

9 minutes ago, Killing_You said:

I mean, everything worked out just fine the first time we played. It was a really fun puzzle to put together, and Mafia managed to win by presenting a strong argument. I don't see what's wrong with it.

@Category 5 Hurricane was the winning scum in the first one. It's true that in the night phase what you choose to do doesn't matter much (except checking sanity by trying to cop who you think scum will NK); the "fun" factor of the cop mafia setup is the daytime arguments. There's too many cop claims. One is scum. Which cop is which? Is a cop assuming his sanity incorrectly? Who's lying? Can you trust this cop? Is that cop rubbing you the wrong way? There's a lot of debate packed into the day phases, so there obviously won't be any early hammers.

18 minutes ago, Killing_You said:

Although I am happy to see how close we are to getting this one started. it was a great setup, and I can't wait to see how it pans out this time around.

I already know what the optimal strategy for Town is, which takes a bit of the fun out of the setup since you know exactly what you need to do before anythings even happened, it's too predictable so there's not really room for discussion.

I could outline what the meta is, but that would take some of the fun out of the game for everyone who is playing.

Just now, Shade939 said:

I already know what the optimal strategy for Town is, which takes a bit of the fun out of the setup since you know exactly what you need to do before anythings even happened, it's too predictable so there's not really room for discussion.

I could outline what the meta is, but that would take some of the fun out of the game for everyone who is playing.

Is it claiming scum on Day 2 with 2 afks and declaring mafia the game winners?

Just now, Shade939 said:

I'd be interested in hearing what this strategy is when the game is over, because there's very likely a way around it.

Just now, Killing_You said:

I'd be interested in hearing what this strategy is when the game is over, because there's very likely a way around it.

It's not a full proof strategy, it's just the best strategy to win so you're use it every single game without exception.

3 hours ago, Shade939 said:

It's not a full proof strategy, it's just the best strategy to win so you're use it every single game without exception.

Why don't you join up and show us how it's done?

The previous cop mafia had a "cop head start" rule where cops were given reports N0 to spur discussion on D1. IIRC, it worked pretty well.

@OrangeP47 are you going to be busy with a community day this weekend? I can start the game tomorrow night with you joining.

7 hours ago, Jeod said:

The previous cop mafia had a "cop head start" rule where cops were given reports N0 to spur discussion on D1. IIRC, it worked pretty well.

@OrangeP47 are you going to be busy with a community day this weekend? I can start the game tomorrow night with you joining.

Community day is the 19th, but I'm busy this weekend for other reasons.  If we started like Monday I guess I could play.

DAY ONE

Welcome to the first day, lads! This game is an open setup, which means you will know all of the possible roles and what they do. If you are aligned with the Town, your goal is to find and lynch the mafia. If you are aligned with the Mafia, your goal is to get rid of all other players until your numbers are equal to or greater than the other factions.

During the day, players will cast ##vote [PLAYER] to select their lynch target. After 48 hours, the day will end and the player with the majority of votes will be lynched. However, ##vote NOLYNCH is an option in case the town decides to lynch no one for the day.

In the night phase, which lasts 24 hours, the mafia will choose who to kill. All other role actions, as well as the nightkill, must be sent to the game moderator via PM at least ten minutes before the hammer in order to be counted. This gives the game moderator time to resolve actions and allow a smooth start to the day.

Cop sanity is unknown and not given in role PMs or flips. You have each been given an initial report, as per the “cop head start” rule for this setup. This is to spur discussion on Day 1. Also, in order to prevent cheating, here is the generic role PM all the cops received:

Hello, townie! You are a Cop! Unfortunately, you don’t know your sanity, so you can’t determine this report’s accuracy. But, your initial report says that [player] is aligned with the [faction].

During the day, your goal is to find and lynch the mafia. At night, you can PM me a target to investigate, and you will receive a report on that player’s alignment the next day.

CURRENT VOTE COUNT

Voe voted no one

Killing_You voted no one

iLikeToSnipe voted no one

ChopBam voted no one

OrangeP47 voted no one