Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Even construction workers like myself are severely hampered by protection measures. Supplies arent coming in, so we're slowing down on what we can do, and we have to maintain about 6 feet away from everyone. Some companies wont let their employees take off, and will terminate them if they are too scared to come in due to the virus. We have had people at our site who have later tested positive, so I'm not sure if we're going to be shutting down or not. All in all business as usual but with the added benefit of not being able to find much food/supplies at the stores because they are all raided the moment the stores open up.

Edited by MPRA2

On 3/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, MPRA2 said:

not being able to find much food/supplies at the stores because they are all raided the moment the stores open up.

This is dumb ^

I've not bought toilet paper in like 6 weeks. Not because I couldn't find it, but because I already had a 12-pack. Guess what? Turns out that between me and the wife, we average using one roll a week...

As for food, we caught it early and bought A FEW extra things (needed groceries anyway), and we're still good for another ~10 days before we absolutely have to buy food. Dr Pepper however... I may have to venture out into the wild in the next couple days to restock on that :biggrin:

EDIT: Not saying that you are dumb, but that the hoarders are dumb. No need for that mess - yet.

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Turns out that between me and the wife, we average using one roll a week...

You either use a bidet, or have some very smelly living space :colbert:

26 minutes ago, Einstein said:

lolwhat?

Are you saying we don't use enough or something? :xD:

I'm just doing a calculation where if both of you visit the toilet for No1 4x a day, 7x a week, that's 56 required toilet paper uses for No1 alone. Now, add 14x No2 within the same timespan and we're arriving at 70 cases of toilet paper use a week, 20% of those heavy duty. And you do that with 1 roll?

Perhaps an American roll is longer than its European counterpart. My toilet paper has 150 sheets per roll.

1 minute ago, Liten said:

Jesus Kristus man, contain your autism the same way the world is trying to contain Corona, would you?

You'll find me to be the most ardent proponent of hygenic lifestyle, thank you :v

22 minutes ago, Voe said:

I'm just doing a calculation where if both of you visit the toilet for No1 4x a day, 7x a week, that's 56 required toilet paper uses for No1 alone.

Maybe its different in your country, but here the men stand up to pee, and thus require no toilet paper. Therefore your calculations are somewhat flawed :v

24 minutes ago, Voe said:

You'll find me to be the most ardent proponent of hygenic lifestyle, thank you :v

There's a difference between simply wiping ones ass until it is clean, and having to do Galaxy Brain calculations to decide how many squares of toilet paper you are allowed to use when you do it.

Personally I'm suspicious of those touting success with a bidet. Wiping one's ass is all about applying pressure. In my mind all a bidet can do is turn your shitty ass into a wet shitty ass.

I've been working from home for the past few days and I'm honestly enjoying it so far. It's made me a bit more conscious of the fact that I should be exercising which is pretty good all in all.

I'm off to the virtual pub on Friday, but need to get hold of some beer first.

Still working and will do so to provide product, and my county in my state has zero confirmed cases (not to mention I live in a rural area about 70 miles in every direction to the nearest city). Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way. Townsfolk here fear mass exodus from the 3 cites around us, so much so the mayor phoned the governor over it. (And yes 2% of the people here are doomsday prepers 5% are retired veterans and 30% don’t live in town but in small areas  a mile out) And I sometimes feel like like I and a few of my staff are the only sane ones during this whole thing. Hearing crazy stories like, “x” nation is ready to invade, to aliens, to the four horsemen of the apocalypse, to government  coming to get them, to illuminate bs. (Sorry had to vent a little, I didn’t know being a manager would involve lion taming the general population)

Edited by Raptor29aa

I'm from the UK - Birmingham specifically. Our country is in lockdown however I am a keyworker (railway engineering). 
I'm burnt out, but I'm doing this for the country. I like to think we're in war and I'm doing my bit for king and country

45 minutes ago, Goliath35 said:

I'm from the UK - Birmingham specifically. Our country is in lockdown however I am a keyworker (railway engineering). 
I'm burnt out, but I'm doing this for the country. I like to think we're in war and I'm doing my bit for king and country

Thats the spirit!

Now is also a good time to take up forgotten hobbies like wood working, carving and etc. I recommend newbies start with pine, those who want more of an art piece go with aspen, and those who are up for a longer lasting but slightly difficult project go with walnut wood.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:13 AM, Raptor29aa said:

Now is also a good time to take up forgotten hobbies like wood working, carving and etc. I recommend newbies start with pine, those who want more of an art piece go with aspen, and those who are up for a longer lasting but slightly difficult project go with walnut wood.

Walnut. Hard as crap but beautiful for sure. Made anything cool? Start a thread if you want to showcase your woodwork!

NYC is fucked currently.

- U.S.S. Mercy has just pulled in to shore due to hospitals being overfilled. Apparently only 20 patients on board despite there being able to fit 1,000.

- Everywhere is closed and I mean everywhere. It's a ghost town in NYC which is crazy to say the least. 7/8 people have face masks. Streets that usually pack 100's or 1,000's of people now have maybe 1 or 2 walking their dog. Out of the 78 listed near-by restaurants that delivered Chinese Food on Uber Eats only 2 were taking delivery. 

- Taking the Subway is suicide at the moment.

- Store shelves were empty and some still are (although it's returned to normal now for the most part).

- Everything is online only like school or work. People delivering food leave it at the front door and walk away. 

- Central Park has become a makeshift major hospital with tents everywhere and medical personal. Looking to add more.

- Talks are in place about not letting people leave NYC. Florida Gov. has already said anyone from NYC going into Florida will be put into jail for up to 90 days. Same goes with Rhode Island and other places.

- Talks about issuing Tickets/Fines for not staying at home are in place and i believe have occurred. 

- Politicians and NY Gov. keep pushing back the time scale of when the virus will reach it's Apex.

- Everyone 4 blocks there is an ambulance driving somewhere that you see or hear.

- Stock market has tumbled back to 4-5 years ago deleting some of the strongest gains ever seen in the shortest amount of time ever seen. Banks are on edge, restaurants are pilling up debt, cruise ships and airlines are fighting to stay in business (although American Airlines/Boeing shot themselves in the foot with stock buybacks), Delta Airlines has resorted to building Hospital Face masks to stay afloat, American Airlines are shipping Cargo now as 90% of their planes are grounded, Oil Co. are being hit hard with the Saudi - Russia mess going on and no one is driving or flying.

26128752-0-image-a-8_1584549531731.jpg

One thing that worries me is that I have no idea how I'm going to renew my license in 5 months to continue work as an electrician. I don't have the money at the moment due to some very rough financial things going on with our house and only shelter, and the only classes available for my required credits is a 200 dollar package which I then have to pay 30 dollars to take an exam, then pay to renew my license.... I really don't know what to do at this point.

@Threve yeah I've been observing the NY situation from afar.

"The South" is pretty shut down as well, but some people are still out and about. I'm still doing a few things not at home when I have to, but am limiting my interactions where at all possible. If I'm not exposed already, I will be soon because my wife is employed at Vanderbilt Medical center, and is deemed essential. Aside from her going to work every day, we're keeping in for the most part. Shelter-in-place orders are coming out as well.

@MPRA2 Hopefully this will be over in time for you to get something done. Put back that fancy government check when it comes in lol

As a side-note: I still have not bought toilet paper, and we have plenty... :awesome:

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

As a side-note: I still have not bought toilet paper, and we have plenty... :awesome:

And I just bought another 24 rolls :colbert:

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

You can keep your inferior Polish toilet paper!

My 3-layered, aloevera velvet smooth rolls poop on yours!