Allied/Soviet Tech Centers

I’d like to use this topic to get some general feedback from the community.

If these buildings were to appear in the game at some point, what would you want them to do? What would their purpose serve to gameplay?

Let’s get those gears turning!

Imho, Tech Centres would be better utilised in a PvE setting, where you could, for example, infiltrate one to gather intelligence, etc.

I feel this would be more preferable than being an Auxiliary building in PvP where its utility is in a little more doubt.

So apart from the rather obvious disable high tier units by destroying enemy tech center, maybe something like this

Someone mentioned on discord already giving allied a map, like the chronotank uses, but able to see all enemy units (and not use the map to teleport ofc unless you are a chronotank) after 10-15 minutes (GPS satellite launching) in the match for as long as the allied tech center stays up. Liking this idea really

The soviet tech center is ofc a lot harder, as it never had a function of it own beside teching up in RA1, but maybe if the allied spy infiltrate it the allied would be able to buy some hightech soviet units either for a limited time (and I mean very limited time, anyone not directly inside, or in the very near vicinity of their base would not have time to get back and buy anything, and there wouldn't be time to buy more than 2-3 tanks at any rate across the entire team due to construction time), or a limited amount across the entire team (using amount would limit the amount of infantry that could be bought as well (or maybe then actually limited amount of inf and limited time to buy tanks, would work best?). Also this would be tied as well to what other soviet structures are still standing, so if soviet War Factory is down, the infiltrating the tech center would only give access to high tech soviet inf, not tanks, and if there is neither a War Factory or barrack anymore, it would simply not be giving any benefit at all. So not only would this require some pretty decent teamwork and communication to take proper use of such an infiltration, it would also give a very interesting choice for allied, what target to go for or if they should try and delay destruction. Maybe also in case you say infiltrate tech center and then kill soviet War Factory right after before you used up the time/amount of mammoth tanks you could you would loose access to building those tanks too. This way it would be near impossible to just get access to high tier soviet stuff that the soviet can't get themselves at the same time (ofc you would still keep what you bought but again it would require very tight teamwork to infiltrate, build and then demolish after things are built for the allied to have stuff the soviet dont have access to), and ofc you would still have to pay full price for the soviet stuff you do buy

43 minutes ago, GummiBear said:

Someone mentioned on discord already giving allied a map, like the chronotank uses, but able to see all enemy units (and not use the map to teleport ofc unless you are a chronotank) after 10-15 minutes (GPS satellite launching) in the match for as long as the allied tech center stays up. Liking this idea really

I personally really like this idea.

Tech Centres should disable all powers. (Except Superweapon powers, they bound on their respective builidings)

Soviets should lose the parabombs, spyplane and paratroopers - allies the sonar pulse, gps satelite and the parabombs that they get through spy inflitration

Removing higher tier units when destroyed is, of course, the obvious (I'd suggest c-tanks and Tanya, against TTs and Volkov.)

But this just feels like the cheap way out; I like the idea of using the Tech Center as a secondary superweapon building of sorts, granting the Soviets perhaps a parabomb or AI paratrooper flare, and the Allies their GPS as suggested above, and possibly a similar helicopter drop of a few AI rifle soldiers. Yeah yeah the Chinook is Soviet, that doesn't stop Allied helicopter reinforcements every other minute in the Red Alert campaign.

The reinforcements might be troublesome to deal with, if they're called in to help cover C4ing a building or a flare; I think the highly visible support flare (like the green smoke from Soviet 1 Lesson in Blood) and the time delay before paratroopers arrive works against this by making it incredibly obvious to the other team where you're attacking.

9 hours ago, GummiBear said:

4 hours ago, Noire Leblanc said:

Removing higher tier units when destroyed is, of course, the obvious (I'd suggest c-tanks and Tanya, against TTs and Volkov.)

But this just feels like the cheap way out; I like the idea of using the Tech Center as a secondary superweapon building of sorts, granting the Soviets perhaps a parabomb or AI paratrooper flare, and the Allies their GPS as suggested above, and possibly a similar helicopter drop of a few AI rifle soldiers. Yeah yeah the Chinook is Soviet, that doesn't stop Allied helicopter reinforcements every other minute in the Red Alert campaign.

I like all three of these ideas.  So, I'll throw my hat in with them.  Also, how about a bay that spawns a crate every 5 or so minutes that can have a random positive effect?  Its unpredictable, so its not inherently OP, but still could represent exploring technologies, kind of like the name suggests. 

I like these ideas. I’d suggest compacting them however, into the tech centers doing one thing not multiple. 

So what I would do is simply make Tech Centers a Bonus Building. Losing them just causes you to lose the support powers, not technology. I cannot say a good way to balance the support powers, however. I like the flare idea, but rather than the flares themselves being able to be disarmed, I think they should be inert and instead you can shoot down the bomber/chinook itself like in the game. 

I would also say it may be better to have the support powers be purchasesble, rather than on a strict timer, assuming it’s possible for them to have a build limit. Stacking nukes is already a thing, imagine stacking paradrop call ins and having 20 aimbotting riflemen swarm the enemy base. I guess the issue I have more than anything else is that a map wide wall hack and a slow bomb drop are two very different things, and really cannot be comparable. And would the GPS show off underground Soviets? That would be a little silly. 

Lastly I think they could also feature as a critical building. Lose it you lose the match. To this end they should be in a very defensible location without any sneak paths and certainly with their own dedicated defense just for it. Rear of the base, walled in, only one way in. That sort of thing. Pillbox and turret to guard it for allies and coil for Soviets. Something that would require a dedicated push to kill rather than one crouchy boy. 

Make them work like the Comm Center in IA. You research unit upgrades that last the whole match. Similar to C&C3 secret shrine and tech center. I'll gladly port my scripts to 5.0 and give a tutorial on how to use them. Its very straightforward. 

1 hour ago, dblaney1 said:

Make them work like the Comm Center in IA. You research unit upgrades that last the whole match. Similar to C&C3 secret shrine and tech center. I'll gladly port my scripts to 5.0 and give a tutorial on how to use them. Its very straightforward. 

What kind of upgrades would work? Faster V-2 rocket speed? Increased repair rate of Technician repair tool?

Upgrades should not just be a simple direct armor +2, attack +2, dmg +2, that's too lazy and may make the game really imbalanced if one team's tech center goes down.

Instead, upgrades should widen unit abilities and strategies. A couple of ideas:

- Mammoth/Volkove Armor regen/full heal

- Engineers can get an extra block of C4

- Mobile GAP gets extra range

- Tanya speed increase

- Chronotank reset time decrease

- Hind carries an extra passenger

- APC refills weapons

Edited by des1206

Damage buffs are fine. Just do it like IA where the building must be alive to research the upgrade. If it has already been upgraded and the building dies the upgrade stays. If you aren't familiar with how the IA upgrades work I recommend joining and playing on a map with a Communications center. There is one on right now actually. The next three maps also have Comm centers.

• 11 months later...

To be honest I don't think it should disable high tech units I think it would be better if it act more like the powerplant in RenX but this time when the structure gets destroyed only the high tech units get the significant price increase.

Edited by LeonardMT

-Maybe an extra salvo to hinds

-Maybe +1 to mine layer carrying compacity  

-Maybe unlock an m40 for a Naval Transport 

-Or maybe unlock an alternate a new variant of the same unit. Like an alternate warhead/ammo type

- But on the other hand I do like IA’s system of team armor ups, and weapon type ups