Kaiju CYOR Mafia [GAME OVER]

Shade939

Theme Description:

Kaiju is basically a Godzilla universe based Mafia game, with every player controlling a giant city destroying monster or giant robot or something capable of fighting them. Outside of that very simple general guideline though, I'm fairly flexible with anything as long as it relates to this theme.

Start Time: Plan is to close the poll this weekend, and then try to make certain everything is balanced and ready to go by the end of the following week.

Roles: Here's the standard example of a role request, shamelessly stolen from Jeod.

Spoiler

Character name: Riot Trooper

Role: Vigilante/Roleblocker OR Vigilante/Bodyguard

Bio:

Where there is chaos, there are also Riot Troopers. Standard training of the police officers was sometimes not enough to handle certain situations, esspecialy during war times. Thats why goverments decided to arm their troops fighting in urban areas with more frag grenades and shotguns, focusing their training on how to fight in towns and cities. After Years before the enemy attacked once more, specially trained soldiers with heavy flak jackets, riot shields, riotguns and flash grenades designed to flush out hostiles from the buildings and streets, were prepared to join the battle if another conflict arises.

Abilities:

1. Vigilante/Bodyguard

- Protect (Night action) - Riot Trooper can use his shield to protect selected target. If target is protected from any killing actions, shield breaks and cannot be used anymore.

- Riot Shield (Passive) - Shield protects Riot Trooper from any kind of killing actions. After defending himself, shield breaks and RT becomes vulnerable to hostile killing actions.

- Shoot (Day action) - Classic shoot option. Would 25% stuck/ 75% hit work? One time use.

2. Vigilante/Roleblocker

- Flashbang (Night action) - Throws a Flashbang at the direction of selected target, which prevents him from making any actions during this night.

- Riot Shield (Passive) - Shield protects Riot Trooper from any kind of killing actions. After defending himself, shield breaks and RT becomes vulnerable to hostile killing actions.

- Shoot (Day Action) - similar to above.

And here's the standard blank role format to use, also stolen from Jeod.

Spoiler

Character Name:

Bio:

Day Action(s):

Night Action(s):

Alignment:

Item:

Description:
Action(s) (i.e. ##Use, ##Pass):

Effect (i.e. On ##Use, or On ##Pass):

Additionally, here's a list of various roles you can use as an inspiration for your character. Not all of these roles would be permitted though.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Portal:Roles

Players List: 9 Players

iLikeToSnipe

Jeod

OrangeP47

Killing_You

Retaliation

FRAYDO

Louis

Category 5 Hurricane

Sunflower

Timetable

Day one

Night One

Day Two

Night Two

Day Three

Night Three

Day Four

Game End

I'll play whatever.  That said if we start relatively soonish, I'll be able to play for sure. I may have a packed schedule here in a bit though.  Or I may not, I just don't know. So it's more of a "yes for now, maybe if this takes too long" kinda situation with me.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

BTW Shade will there be items? Thinking up concepts for both games, and some involve items.

There can be items, I have no specific reason to avoid including them if someone actually wants them for their role.

And I might throw them in regardless if we're going with the Cyberpunk theme.

22 minutes ago, FRAYDO said:

Have I been gone from the forums too long or does OP text seem smaller than normal?

+1 Kaiju theme

Considering I had the exact same thought as I was typing it up. I think they did something to change the default text size for it.

I can work with six players, but having more players helps quite a bit in terms of balancing things out and what's allowed for roles.

@Category 5 Hurricane

@ChopBam

@Louis

@Mojoman

@Nodlied

@Voe

Also @Jeod, I have the feeling that you have a better idea than I do if any of the players I believe you talked into the simpler mafia game you ran would be interested in a less metagame based Mafia game.

And @OrangeP47, if you think Sunflower might join up.

Right, and you all thought you were done voting. Although unless we have a last minute uptick in votes, I'm going with the Kaiju theme.

Due to the lower player count I have two options I can work with.

1. I can do a standard Mafia game with some significant limitations in place, TP's instead of Mafia, and banning certain Town abilities to prolong game length, Alignment Cop is an obvious one that I'd have to ban.

2. I can take some inspiration from Pokemon, and create a more combat focused game. Although, combat is simplified compared to other games, and everyone can fight at the same time because their vote represents them attacking that player, which will consist of a single round of combat that'll be resolved with you picking at least one action during that night phase, and whoever has the highest combat value from their actions wins the fight and damages their opponent. And combat itself is basically a game of Rock Paper Scissors, with everyone having the same three basic types of attacks they'll pick from.

Just now, Jeod said:

1 because I won't have time to commit to combat (started a new job, woohoo!)

It should be a simple combat system, you pick attack 1, 2 or 3 and your opponent picks 1, 2 or 3 for their night action. You can use any night ability you have that's allowed to be used in battle.

And then I resolve the entire combat and give you the results of the battle the start of the following day phase, so the actual time commitment won't be there as it was in other games with a duel system. I'm balancing things out by not restricting how many players can attack a single player, and how many different battles can be going on at one time. Instead, in the case of multiple players attacking a single player I'm comparing the defenders attack against each individual attackers selected attack and then adding the scores together. There is a combat bonus for outnumbering your opponent, and damage received is divided out among all players on a side, so outnumbering your opponent allows you to generally deal more damage, and it'll help you reduce how much damage you receive upon defeat.

Although I'll be doing quite a bit of guesswork in how I'll wind up balancing abilities that'll effect combat itself, like what are good abilities that aren't completely OP for Mafia.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Honestly we might have low response because this isn't technically the sign up.  Sunflower said she'd consider this but hasn't dropped by.

I say traditional CYOR and hope we get more people still.

Simply put, yes, this is also the sign up thread, where players should be expressing interest in actually joining up with the game, even if they don't vote.

13 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Simply put, yes, this is also the sign up thread, where players should be expressing interest in actually joining up with the game, even if they don't vote.

What we want is not always what we get ;)

Well, in any case, I'll go ahead and accept role submissions for a standard CYOR mafia game with a Kaiju character theme then. I did advertise this as a standard game, so I"m not really pushing for a different rule set if I have any opposition to it.

Here's the standard example of a role request, shamelessly stolen from Jeod.

Spoiler

Character name: Riot Trooper

Role: Vigilante/Roleblocker OR Vigilante/Bodyguard

Bio:

Where there is chaos, there are also Riot Troopers. Standard training of the police officers was sometimes not enough to handle certain situations, esspecialy during war times. Thats why goverments decided to arm their troops fighting in urban areas with more frag grenades and shotguns, focusing their training on how to fight in towns and cities. After Years before the enemy attacked once more, specially trained soldiers with heavy flak jackets, riot shields, riotguns and flash grenades designed to flush out hostiles from the buildings and streets, were prepared to join the battle if another conflict arises.

Abilities:

1. Vigilante/Bodyguard

- Protect (Night action) - Riot Trooper can use his shield to protect selected target. If target is protected from any killing actions, shield breaks and cannot be used anymore.

- Shoot (Day action) - Classic shoot option. Would 25% stuck/ 75% hit work? One time use.

2. Vigilante/Roleblocker

- Flashbang (Night action) - Throws a Flashbang at the direction of selected target, which prevents him from making any actions during this night.

- Shoot (Day Action) - similar to above.

And here's the standard blank role format to use, also stolen from Jeod.

Spoiler

Character Name:

Bio:

Day Action(s):

Night Action(s):

Alignment:

Item:

Description:
Action(s) (i.e. ##Use, ##Pass):

Effect (i.e. On ##Use, or On ##Pass):

Additionally, here's a list of various roles you can use as an inspiration for your character. Not all of these roles would be permitted though.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Portal:Roles

Also, here's a good place to get some monster ideas: https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Monsters

I'm predicting that most of us are going to pick big name Godzilla monsters, with maybe a few from Gamera's lineup or even early American films sprinkled throughout. But who knows? Maybe one of you will do the unexpected and play as someone like Pulgasari. :v 

8 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I'll join too.

Welcome aboard.

3 hours ago, Mojoman said:

I got a week off coming up so I'll have to pass. Paradoxically, the more free time I have, the less I'd be inclined to participate in Mafia.

Understandable.