[GAME OVER] Apocalypse Rising Mafia I

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

1 minute ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I don't think I could like that statement enough. I burst out laughing for like 10 minutes!

I mean I know it sounds absurd, but I have some experience with mental health, and the first time I heard lithium was a standard treatment for many disorders I was like "Lithium?!  As in the element?  Not some pharmaceutical? Just something we find in the ground? Really?!"  But I guess it works and has less side effects than artificial things we can cook up in the lab.  I personally don't take lithium though.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean I know it sounds absurd, but I have some experience with mental health, and the first time I heard lithium was a standard treatment for many disorders I was like "Lithium?!  As in the element?  Not some pharmaceutical? Just something we find in the ground? Really?!"  But I guess it works and has less side effects than artificial things we can cook up in the lab.  I personally don't take lithium though.

For those curious, I literally have a (benign) brain tumor.

7 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I don't think I could like that statement enough. I burst out laughing for like 10 minutes!

Sometimes you just gotta eat rocks :v

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

For those curious, I literally have a (benign) brain tumor.

Ouch. Hope it stays benign and does not grow. I went through start to finish with a friend of mine's family dealing with their son who had one. It ended wonderfully, but very scary at the beginning.

Just now, Einstein said:

Sometimes you just gotta eat rocks :v

Ouch. Hope it stays benign and does not grow. I went through start to finish with a friend of mine's family dealing with their son who had one. It ended wonderfully, but very scary at the beginning.

It's technically on the pituitary, but that's a part of the brain, and this particular form is apparently pretty common.  I mean, not like the entire population base goes in for MRIs regularly, but like when people have vaguely brain related problems and get an MRI, apparently there's like a 5-10% chance they have one.  It's typically not fatal even in the long, but does have effects, but I have like a bajillion medical problems anyway so for me it's like "one more on the pile" and I don't really worry about it.

GAME OVER

The Allies have conceded. Congratulations, comrades--your outpost survives to see another day. Perhaps next time, the Allied Dogs won't underestimate you.

APOCALYPSE RISING MAFIA I - Game Data - Google Sheets

APOCALYPSE RISING MAFIA I - Dead Doc - Google Docs

APOCALYPSE RISING MAFIA I - Scumdoc - Google Docs

Nothing much to say about this game. It's pretty clear now that this style makes for shorter games than CYOR, however for the next iteration I host, I think I'll follow in Verti60's footsteps and expand the plot a bit (missile silo mechanics etc) to make it last longer. That said, scum made two critical mistakes this game that got them out early. One, iLikeToSnipe: KY saw right through his plan in progress and iLTS wasn't around to provide a rebuttal or react in time. Two, Mojoman decided to counterclaim Crazy Ivan of all roles. I offered Orange the opportunity to continue the fight via ##reinforcements, which would have delayed a nightkill in trade for swapping the Mirage Tank out for Tanya. He declined, so Tanya will just have to make her appearance later.

Coming off the holidays, perhaps it was too soon to start the game. Better luck next time, scum.

I'd like to give a shoutout to @Louis who did a great job cohosting despite being unfamiliar with Red Alert 2. I don't expect her to host a CYOR next week, but I do think she's got enough experience to co-mod one of those styles.

I think it might have worked better if we waited a week or something.  Despite being very active, I was actually super busy this week too and I wasn't able to devote my full attention here, even though I'm just that forceful even when operating at 50%.  My particular brand of scumming really requires everyone to be engaged with my "cloud if bullshit" that I throw up too, so when the majority of D1 I'm just talking to myself in an empty room nothing is going to happen.

Also @Retaliation

In regards to "you are both more and less clever than you think you are" that's because it was quite the complicated gambit, but people pulling it frequently forget that the other players have info that they themselves don't have.  Therefore, the mere act of suggesting you're playing smart generally gives away the secret that you're not the role you're claiming to be.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Also @Retaliation

In regards to "you are both more and less clever than you think you are" that's because it was quite the complicated gambit, but people pulling it frequently forget that the other players have info that they themselves don't have.  Therefore, the mere act of suggesting you're playing smart generally gives away the secret that you're not the role you're claiming to be.

I originally used it Champs this year.  The setup was Mountainous except Town had two Joats.  One Joat said optimal strategy was for both Joats to claim, and he did so.  Randomy VT claims Joat (to provide cover?)  Actual Second Joat flips the hell out but doesn't claim right away, then slow walks a claim, causing much drama.  Then later the VT claiming Joat is just like "Think... why would I do this?" and presented a chart about the probability of the NK killing a Joat (the real joats could doctor each other) which prompted my original "you are both more and less clever than you think you are).  The Joat that was flipping out was not a very active player and not particularly smart so didn't figure it out and our Joats died and we lost in the end... though the actual operative reason we lost was because I kneejerked OMGUS onto a townie that accused me of being the final scum.

That said, We still tried to infiltrate you because no better leads, and there's still an element of wifom, but after that didn't work we knew for sure you weren't radar because we had a report.

I don't think you understood what the Spy was for. You weren't looking to roleblock the Radar. If Mojo had found Cat5, his report on Anon would have come up scum. Hence my comment in the scumdoc about determining whether it's better to dispose of the Radar or to use it to your advantage.

Just now, Jeod said:

I don't think you understood what the Spy was for. You weren't looking to roleblock the Radar. If Mojo had found Cat5, his report on Anon would have come up scum. Hence my comment in the scumdoc about determining whether it's better to dispose of the Radar or to use it to your advantage.

No I understood, I just didn't particularly care because that was Mojo's job.

No I understood, I just didn't particularly care because that was Mojo's job.

I mean read the scum doc again where I clearly say we need to infiltrate who we think is the radar Jeod, I understood.  Sadly we just didn't know who the radar was.

49 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Also @Retaliation

A delay would have helped for my activity too, but just for uncontrollable reasons. Had a root canal and it took a bit longer than usual... so my time this game was much more limited than I was expecting. That and I tried "town" posting stuff without actually reading everything. One of these days I'll be town again :suicide:

6 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

A delay would have helped for my activity too, but just for uncontrollable reasons. Had a root canal and it took a bit longer than usual... so my time this game was much more limited than I was expecting. That and I tried "town" posting stuff without actually reading everything. One of these days I'll be town again :suicide:

Also, your username clearly gave your role away. :p

Also, with a day one allied sniper kill, the only strategy mafia could go with is claim conscript, otherwise they're stuck in a 50/50 with enough time to lynch both players, and even then they'll probably out themselves by not getting a miss result.

16 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Also, with a day one allied sniper kill, the only strategy mafia could go with is claim conscript, otherwise they're stuck in a 50/50 with enough time to lynch both players, and even then they'll probably out themselves by not getting a miss result.

I was kind of expecting there to be found a hidden allied player or two in all the conscript claims, considering I was the 5th conscript out of the 4 claims you listed. They all claimed pretty quickly which left a very small remaining pool for power roles and scum.