"Internal Error" Command & Conquer Renegade Single Player

Vlays

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:31 AM, Vlays said:

Hi, in mission 2 of campaign i need go to Nod Communication Center, if i enter the game crashes, any Ideas how to repair this?

Does this happen every time?

Can you provide us a crashdump file from C:\Users\USER\Documents\Renegade\Client\debug please, so that we can investigate? You will need to zip the file to upload it here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I hate to necro an old post, but might have some insight to help fix this issue and I haven't seen this addressed anywhere else.  That one section in single player is still broken in the latest scripts 4.8 release.  There may be others, but it frustrated me so much I went down a rabbit hole I'm grossly underqualified for.

After some digging.  I figured out that all tt scripts builds after 4.0 5704 have the bug.  5704 and prior don't have the issue.

Now the disclaimer:  I'm not a C or C++ programmer so I can't make heads or tails of the source code, but oddly enough I've had success in the past disassembling binaries and making byte level tweaks for one thing or another in various programs.  So I apologize if my observations don't have the right programming terms tied to them.

Anyway, It seems like the tt team made a ton has changes between 5704 and the next build at a low level.  So many functions redirected (reflected?) through bandtest.dll on top of all the additional things added to scripts.dll.  I also see a huge change in how the bink videos are rendered which I'm assuming was to fix aspect ratio problems.  I wish I had a better understanding on how things work at the source code level so I could provide something better, but maybe having narrowed things down to when the change that broke things happened helps a little?  Could it be something simple like reflected function that was declared private instead of shared or public?  Again - forgive me if I'm way off - trying to learn throughout this process.

Thoughts on revisiting this and if this info can help get this resolved?  Or at least some comments on my observations I can learn something from?

Thanks,

Ed

On 12/1/2023 at 4:43 AM, virtual_ed said:

I hate to necro an old post, but might have some insight to help fix this issue and I haven't seen this addressed anywhere else.  That one section in single player is still broken in the latest scripts 4.8 release.  There may be others, but it frustrated me so much I went down a rabbit hole I'm grossly underqualified for.

After some digging.  I figured out that all tt scripts builds after 4.0 5704 have the bug.  5704 and prior don't have the issue.

Now the disclaimer:  I'm not a C or C++ programmer so I can't make heads or tails of the source code, but oddly enough I've had success in the past disassembling binaries and making byte level tweaks for one thing or another in various programs.  So I apologize if my observations don't have the right programming terms tied to them.

Anyway, It seems like the tt team made a ton has changes between 5704 and the next build at a low level.  So many functions redirected (reflected?) through bandtest.dll on top of all the additional things added to scripts.dll.  I also see a huge change in how the bink videos are rendered which I'm assuming was to fix aspect ratio problems.  I wish I had a better understanding on how things work at the source code level so I could provide something better, but maybe having narrowed things down to when the change that broke things happened helps a little?  Could it be something simple like reflected function that was declared private instead of shared or public?  Again - forgive me if I'm way off - trying to learn throughout this process.

Thoughts on revisiting this and if this info can help get this resolved?  Or at least some comments on my observations I can learn something from?

Thanks,

Ed

A crashdump on latest scripts would help better.